Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1948-49 fixture list
Dewar Shield First Preliminary Round First Leg 
Aberdeen 3 - 3 Peterhead
Kick Off:    Emery 10, Hamilton 35, Williams 59.       Hay 3, Strachan 21, A.Smith 30(Pen).  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Peterhead Hold Dons to 3-3 Draw at Pittodrie
No Fluke About the North Champions' Performance

HIGHLAND League football stock jumped a few more points last night at Pittodrie, when Peterhead held a strong Aberdeen team to a 3-3 draw in the first qualifying match for the Dewar Shield.

There was no fluke about the North champions' performance, for they were up 3-1 at one stage and defended doggedly against strong Aberdeen pressure after half-time.
Peterhead's chances didn't look too bright when the Paterson brothers called off shortly before the match. Norman Bray, former Montrose left winger, came in at outside right, with Alec Hendry, reserve left half back, as his partner.
These changes didn't upset the Highland League champions. In the second half they stood up well to a severe buffeting from the Dons.
Cook, their new goalkeeper, gave a grand display, but marred it by one mistake which gave the Dons their third goal. Simpson was good at left back, and Buchan was determined if not polished at centre half back.
Johnny Martin, former Hall. Russell's forward, was the best of the Peterhead attackers, while Strachan did well at inside right when he changed places with Hendry for a spell.
Despite their second-half revival the Aberdeen team was disappointing. McKenna was the safest defender, while Stenhouse tried hard to get his forwards going. Archie Baird was easily the best forward afield. He could make ground and he repeatedly tested Cook.

Hay Hooks Home

Smith was not at home on the right wing, but Pearson did many clever things on the left. He received close attention in the second half, and there was at least one occasion when Peterhead should have had a penalty awarded against them.
If Aberdeen had any ideas it was to be an easy game, these were dispelled in three minutes when a cross from Bray came off the bar and Hay hooked it home. In an attempt to equalise Emery shot wide from a free kick, but he made amends in ten minutes when he hammered the ball home from twenty yards.
Strachan restored Peterhead's lead in twenty-one minutes, turning in a pass from A. Smith. Nine minutes later Bray was fouled by McKenna in the penalty area. Smith's spot kick was parried by Curran, but the left half-back followed up to score.
Hamilton improved the outlook for Aberdeen in thirty-five minutes with a low shot after Buchan had headed out an Emery free kick. The Dons came out fighting in the second half, and Baird had a number of tries saved by Cook. In fourteen minutes Glen put a free kick into the penalty area. Williams stabbed the ball forward, and when Cook missed the ball the cenfrre followed ud to score.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th May 1949

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Curran, Emery, McKenna, Stenhouse, Roy, Glen, Smith, Hamilton, Williams, Baird, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Peterhead Teamsheet:  Cook, Middleton, Simpson, Strachan, Buchan, A. Smith, Bray, Hendry, Hay, Martin, C. F. Smith


Referee: J. Harvey, Aberdeen

Related Links: