Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Aberdeen 3 - 3 Charlton Athletic
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Hamilton 7, Stenhouse 40, Millar 65.       Revell 81 (Pen), Vaughan 88, Vaughan 89.  
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Charlton Knock Off Three in Nine Minutes
More Aggressive, Better and Brighter Dons

Three goals in nine minutes provided a sensational finish and a lucky 3-3 draw for Charlton Athletic in the holiday fixture with Aberdeen at Pittodrie Park yesterday. The London team's revival was as effective as it was unexpected, for the Dons had been decidedly superior throughout.

It was a pleasant change to see such an aggressive Aberdeen, and, while allowances must be made for the fact that the London team was probably not playing at full throttle, this was a better and brighter Dons line-up.
Ken Thomson, brought back at centre half-back in place of Roy, did enough to ensure an extended run in the position. He and his opposite number Phipps were the stars of the respective defences.
An injury to Bruce put any assessment of the former Dundee player out of the question, although he had a good enough first half.
The biggest contrast between the teams was in attack. George Hamilton is rapidly coming back to his old form, and Stenhouse had another good game as partner to Hather, who played instead of Pearson and was full of running.
The Aberdeen pair would hold the ball and draw a man out of position before bringing the wingers or Kelly into the scheme of things. O'Linn and Brown, the Charlton inside supports, relied on the first-time pass into the open space.
This sort of football was good to watch, especially when the speedy Hurst and Vaughan joined in, but until the last hectic nine minutes it did not pay dividends in the shape of goals. All over, however, it was good holiday entertainment and the crowd got full value for their money.

Early Goal

The quick interchanging of the English team's forwards made their plan of campaign difficult to follow at first, and Aberdeen's methods were more effective. So much so that the first goal came in seven minutes.
Harris put Stenhouse in possession beyond midfield, and the inside left immediately sent a long ball down the middle. Hamilton was on it at once and a leftfoot shot, cunningly placed, had Bartram diving in vain.
Aberdeen's second goal in forty minutes was also spectacular in its execution. Hamilton sent a long pass to Hather, who slipped the ball inside to Stenhouse as Campbell made to tackle. Stenhouse took his time before releasing a shot which dropped in at the angle of post and bar, with Bartram well out of position.
Apart from two shots on the run by Vaughan, the Charlton forwards did not trouble Curran in this half, and it was again Aberdeen who called the tune on the resumption.
In twenty minutes a solo effort bv Hamilton had the Londoners' defence in a panic. The ball broke to Hather whose shot was crossing the goal. Millar came in from the right to shoot home.

Caught Napping

There did not appear to be any likelihood of Charlton coming into the game with a chance, and even when Revell netted a penalty given against McKenna with nine minutes to go it looked safe for Aberdeen.
The Dons were caught napping. Two minutes from time Fenton, roaming on the right, chipped the ball to Vaughan and it was behind Curran in a flash. Right from the kick-off Charlton moved up in attack, and there was a suspicion of offside about Vaughan's equalising goal in the closing seconds.
There was no doubt about his shot being a scorer, for the centre left Curran completely beaten with a tearing cross-snot.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th September 1949

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Curran, Emery, McKenna, Bruce, Thomson, Harris, Millar, Hamilton, Kelly, Stenhouse, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Charlton Athletic Teamsheet:  Sam Bartram, Jock Campbell, Jack Shreeve, Bert Johnson, Harold Phipps, Charlie Revell, Gordon Hurst, Syd O'Linn, Charlie Vaughan, Tommy Brown, Benny Fenton.

Unused Subs: Dudley Forbes, Frank Lock, Tommy Lumley, Jimmy Walls.


Referee: Jack Mowat, Glasgow

Related Links: