Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Dewar Shield Semi Final Second Leg 
Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee United
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Emery 44.        
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Only Goal Came from a Penalty
Dons Forwards Scorned Chances

APART from the fact that they reached the final of the Dewar Shield, the Dons took little credit from yesterday's match at Pittodrie. One or two reserve players were tried out, but none of them was seen to great advantage.

Most of the scoring chances went the way of the Aberdeen forwards, and it was a crushing indictment against them that the only goal of the game had to come from a penalty, within half a minute from half-time.
The scorer was Emery, and he got the ball into the net after Edmiston had parried his first attempt.
In the first half the Tannadice team had two good scoring chances. Quinn scooped the ball past an empty goal, and later there was nobodv up to put the ball home when McKay nipped in to collect an Emery pass back and put the ball across the face of the empty goal.
Few of the Aberdeen team did anything to enhance their reputation. Martin was safe in goal, and McKeown was the better back. The Irishman's positioning and tackling are greatly improved.

Mitchell Outstanding,/p> McKenzie was the strongest Aberdeen half-back, the home wing halves being overshadowed by George Mitchell, former Sunnybank man, at left half for the "B" Division team. Much of Mitchell's fine constructive work was wasted on the weak left-wing pair.
Ross and Edmiston were other stalwarts in the Tannadice defence, but although the 'keeper had some good saves there were occasions when the Aberdeen forwards should have given him no chance at all.
Gauld and Yorston both missed easy chances, but the three others also had opportunities to put the ball in the net and could not do so.
The only goal was a result of Jardine handling a close-in shot from Yorston.
Seven minutes from time Quinn went through to score from a free kick bv McKay, but the referee knocked off the goal after consulting a linesman.

Soure: Press & Journal, 18th April 1950

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, McKeown, Emery, Anderson, McKenzie, Robb, Gauld, Yorston, Hamilton, Rodger, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Dundee United Teamsheet:  Alec Edmiston, Doug Berrie, Alex Jardine, Earle Downie, Bobby Ross, George Mitchell, Frank Quinn, George Grant, Peter McKay, Jackie Dewar, Alec Shaw.


Referee: G.MacDonald, Stirling

Related Links: