Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Dewar Shield First Preliminary Round First Leg 
Aberdeen 2 - 2 Peterhead
Kick Off:    Pearson 25, Hamilton 78.       Willie Paterson 55, Jimmy Paterson 70  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Peterhead Again Shock Dons
Jeffrey and Paterson Took the Houours

FOR the second year running Peterhead, the Highland League champions, had a shock in store for Aberdeen in the Dewar Shield qualifying game.

Aberdeen, it is true, played for forty-one minutes without George Merchant. It was feared that the right back had broken his ankle, but it later transpired that this was not the case.
Peterhead thoroughly deserved their draw. In the last fifteen minutes there was a suspicion of leg-weariness about them, but until that point they gave as good they got in a hard, interesting game.
Individual honours went to Bobby Jeffrey, former Derby County and Montrose left half. He was strong in defence, and repeatedly came through with the ball to put his forwards in motion. Other defensive stalwarts were G Buchan, Simpson and J. Buchan.
Jimmy Paterson, who changed places with Strachan midway through the first half, was the live wire in the Peterhead attack.

Dons Forwards Fail

Mc'Kenna and Merchant also played well in defence for the Dons, but the Pittodrie forwards have often done better.
Before Aberdeen took the lead in twenty-five minutes, Cook had a great save from Baird. He had no chance, however, with a left foot shot from Pearson, who cut in from the right and beat Simpson before hitting the ball low and hard.
Ten minutes after half-time W Paterson equalised with a close-in shot after Martin had pushed out a shot from J Paterson.
That was the signal for an all-out attack by the Buchan team and, in twenty-five minutes, J. Paterson, taking a pass from Jeffrey, cleverly beat McKenzie before shooting home.
Bad covering-up in defence allowed Aberdeen to get level in thirty-three minutes. Hather crossed from the bye-line and Hamilton, standing unmarked, coolly headed home.
Seven minutes later Hamilton was brought down and a penalty awarded. Pearson took the kick but shot yards wide.
The second leg will be played at Recreation Park next Monday.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd May 1950

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Merchant , McKenna, Anderson, McKenzie, Chalmers, Pearson, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Peterhead Teamsheet:  Norman Cook, Frank Middleton, Jimmy Simpson, Jim Buchan, George Buchan, Bobby Jeffrey, Willie Paterson, Jimmy Paterson, Johnny Strachan, Johnny Martin, Norman Bray.


Referee: D.Bruce, Aberdeen

Related Links: