Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1941-42 fixture list
North Eastern Supplementary Cup 
Aberdeen 3 - 0 Rangers
Kick Off:    Williams, Young (OG), Lyon (Pen).        
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen Set for Cup Final
Little short of a complete collapse can prevent the Dons from contesting the North-Eastern League Cup final. Rangers need a four-goal margin to win through, and that hardly seems likely, even although the second game is at Ibrox Park. Aberdeen deserved their Pittodrie success. They were full of vim. If they play with the same spirit on Saturday first the Light Blues will do well to reduce the deficit, let alone wipe it out. One of the most satisfactory features of the Pittodrie game was the fine play of the defence. Lyon was the key man. The Lanky centre-half held Smith in check - no easy task - and was quick to go to the assistance of the backs. Cooper was sound and Dyer, more accustomed to the left-wing berth than left-back, put up a good display. Taylor and Dunlop were a pair of forcing wing halves.

Hamilton Busy

The forwards took a little time to settle, but they played clever football. Hamilton was after every ball and gave the Rangers' defence no rest. Williams was not so effective as against Dunfermline, but he was always a potential source of danger. Donaldson was lively on the right and McCall was the more polished of two hard-working inside forwards. Rangers fought hard, but they could not break down a solid Aberdeen defence. Smith and McKillop were the best in the Light Blues' attack, but they did not receive much help. Brown's experience was invaluable in defence, but the veteran internationalist was fighting a lost cause. Nimmo was a strong and capable left-back, and Jenkins in goal played well.

The Goals

The Dons' opening goal came after twenty-two minutes. Hamilton headed a cross from Donaldson to Fleming. The inside man breasted the ball to Williams, who sent into the net. Four minutes later came the turning point in the game. Jenkins palmed out a fierce drive from Hamilton and Young, in attempting to return it to the keeper, lobbed it over his head into the net. The third goal - a penalty - occurred twelve minutes after the interval. McCall was brought down inside the area, and Lyon netted from the spot. Dundee United lead East Fife 3-2 in the other semi- final.

Source: The Press & Journal 1st December 1941

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Dyer, Dunlop, Lyon, Taylor, Donaldson, Fleming, Hamilton, McCall, Williams.

Unused Subs:


Rangers Teamsheet: 


Referee: J. Godfrey, Stenhousemuir

Related Links: