Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1941-42 fixture list
Mitchell Cup Final Second Leg 
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dundee United
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Williams 31, Pattillo 59, Gourlay 91.       Nevins 41  
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Extra Time to Decide
Aberdeen have won two trophies this season - the North-Eastern League Cup and the handsome bowl presented by Mr William Mitchell, chairman of the Pittodrie Club, for competition among the clubs in the League. In the home-and-home final for the bowl, the Dons defeated Dundee United by six goals to five. It required an extra half-hour?s play at Pittodrie on Saturday to decide the issue. At the end of ninety minutes' play the Dons were leading by the odd goal in three. This meant that over the two games each team had scored five goals. The extra time had barely started when Gourlay notched the goal which gave Aberdeen victory.


There were 15,000 spectators. They must have been well satisfied with the fare, for it was one of the best and most thrilling encounters seen on the ground for a long time. The Dons were worthy winners. The teams were level at half-time. Aberdeen scored through Williams, and Niven had an easy counter for United. Milne failed with a penalty for the Dons. Best goal of the match came from Pattillo with a terrific right foot drive in the second half. The goalkeeping was of a high standard. The Dons would have won easily without an extra half-hour had it not been for the brilliance of Brownlee in the United goal. This young player stood between the Dons and a smashing victory. Great credit too must be given Johnstone, the Aberdeen custodian, for one particularly daring save. He threw himself at the feet of Juliussen, the Dundee centre, when the latter seemed certain to score. Cooper, the Aberdeen captain, was the best back afield. Howe at left half, was in great form. Forward honours went to Pattillo, who was dangerous all the time; to Gourlay who played his best game for the Dons, and to Milne, who was a lively but unlucky leader. Apart from Brownlee there were no outstanding players in the United team.


The Trophy was presented to Cooper, the Aberdeen captain, at the finish, by Mr John McArthur, president of the League. Prior to the start of the game Mr Mitchell, the chairman of the Aberdeen club, officially presented the bowl to Mr John A. McArthur president of the League. Mr Mitchell said he would like it to be definitely understood that it was entirely a war challenge trophy, and he hoped that after the war the trophy would be sent to Scottish Football Association headquarters and remain there as a slight token of what they had endeavoured to do for North-East of Scotland football during the trying years of war. Accepting the trophy Mr McArthur said the S.F.A. would be proud to house it. The North-Eastern clubs had not made money. They had not started out to make money, but the object of catering for the football public, and they had met with success. This had been due to the cooperation of all clubs. Mr McArthur was thanked by Mr J. D. Robbie.

Source: The Press & Journal, 25th May 1942

3-1 after 90 minutes. After extra time, Aberdeen won the trophy 6-5 on aggregate.

Source: The Scotsman, 24th May 1942



The crowd got their money's worth in the second of the final games for the North-Eastern Mitchell trophy.

United were a disappointment. They did not reveal the sparkle of Tannadice triumphs at all. Juliussen was noticeably below par. If he had been in his usual form there would have been no need for extra time.
Brownlee was the man who thwarted Aberdeen most, but even he would admit his charge bore a charmed life on occasions. He tipped over a penally kick by Milne in the second half.
United's right defensive flank was not too steady. Much of the Aberdeen danger came from up that side. Home back Howe had a foot in both Aberdeen's scheduled-time goals. He lobbed the ball temptingly into goalmouth twice, and the damage was done.
Though Juliussen did not have a good game it was he who kept the game alive. His great shot was palmed out by Johnstone, and it was a child's task for Nevins to score and keep United's end up.
It was ironic in a way that goal which won the Cup should have come within a minute of the start of extra time. Aberdeen had been doing almost everything but score for half an hour previously. Gourlay back-headed Williams' centre into the net.


It was a hard, and at times thrilling, game. United, potentially dangerous in the first half, faded out of the picture until the closing stages of the ninety minutes. Their defence and forwards were leg-weary.
United's revival was good. They had chances to win, but threw them away. Juliussen missed two great opportunities. Once he slung the ball tiredly over when the crowd expected a goal.
In the last the ninety minutes the big chap got clean through, with D. Low and Nevins at his heels. Johnston advanced more in hope than anything else. Juliussen lost control, and the 'keeper scraped the ball away.
Low and Nevins had ineffectual "shotties" before the danger was cleared. It was United's last chance.
There was some hard luck on both sides during the extra period. Dyer kicked away on the line with Johnstone from home, while Browniee tipped a great Milne drive on to the post. Both 'keepers shook hands heartily after the game. Both had done a good job.
Aberdeen had a grand defence and mid-line. Pattillo, Gourlay, and Milne were the pick of the forwards. Fordyce was the better Dundee back. Adamson shone most at half-back. Low and Gardiner carried what there was of punch in the attack.
Definitely a correct result.

Source: Sunday Post, 24th May 1942

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Howe, Dunlop, Gavin, Taylor, Pattillo, Gourlay, Milne, Williams, Dyer.

Unused Subs:


Dundee United Teamsheet:  Brownlee; Sibley, Fordyce; Melville, A. Low, Adamson; D. Low, Gardiner, Juliussen, Glassey, Nevins


Referee: R. Calder, Rutherglen

Related Links: