Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1942-43 fixture list
North Eastern League 
East Fife 1 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Campbell 77        
Attendance: 2,500
Venue: Bayview Park, Methil
Stirring Methil Contest

Dons were Better Team

EAST Fife are now leaders of the North-Eastern League. They beat the Dons by the only goal the match Methil.

The Dons should not have been beaten in this game. They were the better team throughout. Even the East Fife officials admitted this at the finish.
The Pittodrie team should have been leading at the interval had Taylor converted a penalty, and the only goal match came thirteen minutes from time, when "Campbell" headed past Johnstone.
it was a stirring contest from beginning to end. No quarter was asked and none given. The teams threw themselves into the fray with rare abandon, but it was the Dons who played by far the better football.
The defence was not to blame for the defeat. It was steady throughout. Goalkeeper and backs put up a sturdy resistance. The play the wing half-backs, Dunlop and Taylor, was superb. Their control work was excellent, their passing was the essence of accuracy, even under difficult playing conditions. Gavin, who was none too fit, played a strong game as pivot.
The Dons' attack was somewhat lopsided. The right wing pair, Gourlay and Ancell, did not hit it off, the former being off form. Pattillo was erratic at centre, his finishing being wild.
There was no forward on the field to compare with Percy Dickie. He was grand throughout, and Dryden made him a good partner. The attack had its chances, but did not take them.
The homesters owe their victory to the grand work of their defence.

Source: Press & Journal, 1st February 1943

East Fife Teamsheet:  Niven; Baird, Stewart; Wilcox, Sneddon, White; Junior, Speirs, Wilkie, Campbell, Smith


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Dyer, Dunlop, Gavin, Taylor, Ancell, Gourlay, Pattillo, Dickie, Dryden.

Unused Subs:


Referee: R. Calder, Rutherglen

Related Links: