Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1939-40 fixture list
Regional League East 
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dundee United
Kick Off:  7:00 PM   Williams 30, Ferguson 41, Pattillo 65.       Milne 4  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Cup Finalists Fail at Pittodrie
DUNDEE UNITED did not shape like Cup finalists at Pittodrie last night. They started brightly enough, and on play the Dons scarcely deserved to be leading by the odd goal in three at the interval.

Things were different in the second period. Aberdeen definitely held the whip hand. There was a much needed improvement in the home ranks during this half. The forwards showed more cohesion and thrust.
Aberdeen's defence was seldom in difficulties after the early stages. Duguid (Loco Works), who kept goal for the Dons, gave quite a smart display, and Graham at right back played soundly throughout. Milne, the United centre, had Waddell in trouble for a time, but the home pivot ultimately got a grip of his opponent.


Pattillo was the Dons' outstanding forward. He gave the opposing defence a lot of trouble and was always dangerous. Ferguson showed smart touches and took his goal well.
The United were well served in defence by Dunsmore, Baxter, and Robertson, while in attack, Milne, a quick and elusive leader, and Gardiner took the honours.
In four minutes the United were a goal up. The score was due to a blunder by Waddell. When Baxter sent the ball up the middle the centre-half miskicked, and Milne had an easy task to beat the 'keeper.
Aberdeen struggled gamely for the equalising goal, but they were far from convincing. Pattillo was the only forward who threatened any real danger. In half an hour, however, they got on level terms. Pattillo sent Williams away and when the winger crossed, Ritchie Smith could only flick the ball with his head.
Fortunately Ferguson managed to recross it into the middle, and Williams headed into the net.


The Dons were worth the lead a few minutes later when Thomson and Smith contrived to let Pattillo through. The centre shot well. The ball beat the 'keeper, but struck the inside of the post and came out.
Four minutes from the interval the Dons took the lead. Williams raced off on the right and when he crossed Ferguson jumped head into the net.
Aberdeen started the second half in good style. Their team-work was greatly improved. They were unfortunate not to increase their lead when Dunsmore stopped a header from Ferguson on the line, and Black repeated the performance from a shot from Pattillo.
With twenty minutes gone Aberdeen got a third goal. A quick throw-in saw Williams send the ball over to Pattillo, and the centre's shot beat the 'keeper and found the net.
Luck again smiled on the United when a long cross by Ferguson gave Williams a clear field. Pattillo rose to meet the South African's centre, and the ball struck the crossbar with a resounding smack.
The Dons were on top this half, and Ferguson almost made it four with a terrific drive. Thomson was lucky to be in direct line with the ball.

Source: Press & Journal, 25th April 1940

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Duguid, Graham, Taylor, Scott, Waddell, Thomson, Williams, Bain, Pattillo, Ferguson, Smith.

Unused Subs:


Dundee United Teamsheet:  Thomson; Miller, Dunsmore; Baxter, Black, Robertson; Glen, Gardiner, Milne, Adamson, Fraser


Referee: J. M. Martin, Ladybank

Related Links: