Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1887-88 fixture list
The Aberdeen 4 - 1 Rangers, Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Christie, Ketchen, Ferry, Ketchen       Downie  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
These teams met at Chanonry Grounds in their last fixture for the season. In all three matches have been played between the clubs this year, their last meeting taking place about a month ago in the final of the Aberdeenshire Cup ties, when the Rangers were beaten by seven goals to one goal. The weather to-day was beautifully fine, but there were very few spectators. Aberdeen, winning the toss, Bowman kicked off. Almost immediately afterwards a run down the field ended in Christie kicking the first goal for Aberdeen. Play was then kept in the Rangers' territory, and had it not been for the fine defence of Aitchison and Macpherson the scoring would undoubtedly have been rapid. Ten minutes after time Clark was kicked severely on the leg, and had to retire from the field. From a throw in by McCann, Ketchen secured an easy second goal. Some fast play ensued, the left wing of the Aberdeen working up well, and operations may be said to have been almost wholly confined to before the Rangers' fortress. Aberdeen got several corners, but could make nothing of them. From a. beautiful run up field Ferry shot a third goal. A. corner to the Rangers almost resulted in a goal from a "perfect beauty" by Irvine. Wood, however, stood in the way. Nothing further was done in this period, and at half-time the game stood :- Aberdeen 3, Rangers 0.
Starting in the second period with the wind a.t their backs, the Rangers took the ball to their opponents territory, and after a short scrimmage Downie placed the first goal to the credit of his side. A run up by Ketchen ended in the ball being placed within the posts. Notwithstanding a gallant attempt by Macpherson to save. The point was disputed, but was allowed by the umpire. This made the fourth goal for Aberdeen. In subsequent proceedings the Aberdeen citadel was stormed again and again, and although the play did not want in animation, it cannot be said to have reached the good form which one naturally expects from such experienced players. Neither team showed that combination essential to good football. The: strong south-westerly wind which blew across the ground must, however, in fairness, be taken into consideration in accounting for the weakness shown all round, the Aberdeen team being further handicapped by the loss of Clark. The rest of the play was unimportant, and the game ended: Aberdeen 4 goals; Rangers, 1 goal. The referees were Messrs Melvin and Melville.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 30th April 1888

The Aberdeen Teamsheet: 


Rangers, Aberdeen Teamsheet: 



Related Links: