Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1913-14 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Rangers 5 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Grieg (o.g.), Bennett, Reid, Reid, Bowie       Main.  
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Aberdeen's Sensational Fall - How the Rangers Got Goals
Nearly 40,000 spectators at Ibrox park saw Aberdeeneasily beaten by a much superior team. The Rangers scored after nine minutes, Greig palming through a ball from a corner kick taken by Paterson. Three minutes later Bennett scored a second for the Rangers, who continued to outplay their opponents until in a right wing rush Macintosh scored for Aberdeen, through Campbell mistaking a back pass to the goalkeeper. Before the interval Reid scored a brilliant third goal for Rangers. Aberdeen played better in the second half, but finished badly, and thus lost several excellent scoring chances. A beautiful piece of play between Reid and Brown ended in the former giving Rangers a fourth goal, and Bowie followed with a fifth. The Rangers' stars were Muir, Logan, Paterson, Bowie, and Reid, but there was not a real weakling. Aberdeen had two good backs, moderate half-backs, and only two clever forwards - Soye and Main.

Source: The Scotsman, 8th September 1913

In their match with Rangers at Ibrox Park, Glasgow, Aberdeen were well out of the hunt, and were beaten by 55 goals to 1. About 23,000 spectators saw the game, which ruled almost entirely in favour of the home team. Through mistakes on the part of the goalkeeper Aberdeen were two goals down in the opening minutes, and although they made strenuous efforts to improve, they never really got over the early reverses which had a disconcerting influence on their play throughout. The big margin of victory was no more than Rangers deserved. They were much the better side, and at times played brilliant football. Aberdeen, as has been the case in the four previous matches, were weakly served at half-back, and the forwards never really got going in convincing style. never at any time did the football of the Pittodrie side compare favourably with that of the home team, who were winners all over, and had they exerted themselves might even have won by a more substantial margin.

Aberdeen opened strongly, and Logan had a very pretty tackle of Main. For a time the Rangers' backs were kept busy, and Main skied badly from a difficult angle. The champions gradually exerted superiority, and Greig in brilliant fashion saved a terrific shot from Reid at close quarters. Colman and Hume showed a splendid defence, and their fine understanding on several occasions baulked Reid of the goal he was working so hard for. The opening goal came in sensational style. Paterson forced a corner, and he placed the ball finely. Greig going to meet the shot unfortunately sent the ball against the upright, from whence it rebounded into the net. For a time Rangers made all the running, and they increased their lead in sensational style. Brown sent over a low ball, and Bennett fastening on sent in a fast grounder. Greig knelt to meet the ball, and got his hands upon it, but allowed it to slip through the goal. With such a strong advantage early obtained, Rangers shaped like increasing their lead. Aberdeen had a sensational breakaway, and Campbell made to pass back to his goalkeeper. In doing so he failed to notice the proximity of Main, who, dashing in, drove the ball hard into the net. Rangers continued to show the better form, and the Aberdeen defence was sorely tested. Reid had a terrific shot from close range, but Colman blocked this. Later the Rangers' centre drove hard over the bar. This was followed by a really brilliant goal from Reid. Bowie started the movement, and then parting to Reid, the centre forward cleverly beat Hume and shot hard into the net. In going out to meet a heady centre by main, Hempsey collided with Gordon and Scorgie, and both required attention. Practically all the aggressive work was executed by the Rangers. The returns of the Aberdeen defenders, with the exception of Colman, were weak in the extreme, and when danger threatened they seldom cleared it far. In consequence of this Rangers repeatedly threatened, and had they finished better, goals must have followed. Main and McIntosh strove hard to retrieve the fortunes of their side, and the first-named had a clever try from between the backs, but Hempsey saved. Reid had several fine tries for Rangers, but there was no further score at the interval.


After Bowie had shot wildly, Aberdeen missed a golden opportunity if reducing the leeway. Following upon a nice piece of combination, in which all of the forwards participated, Soye sent over a high ball. Scorgie, lying handy, failed to fasten on, and Main and McIntosh also missed before the ball was eventually cleared. Aberdeen rallies somewhat, and Main tested Hempsey with a grounder. Later McIntosh and Main rushed the opposition, but the first-named hesitated to shoot, and Gordon recovered. At the other end Reid had a terrific drive from the penalty area, and just missed. He made amends immediately afterwards, and scored another brilliant goal. Receiving from Logan he passed nicely to Brown. The left winger centred smartly along the ground, and Reid glanced the ball into the net. The Aberdeen goal had a miraculous escape immediately after. Greig cleared, but not properly, and although he followed up, Reid was on the ball first shot, but Hume standing on the goal-line cleared in sensational style. In a tackle with Logan Main had his head bruised, and retired. Aberdeen battled on with ten players, but it was a forlorn hope. Main returned, but simultaneously with this Wilson was injured, but quickly recovered. Main made a desperate dart past the backs, but Hempsey, coming out, kicked clear, and then Scorgie netted, but the whistle had previously gone for offside. Aberdeen continued to show up prominently for a time, but McIntosh failed to put through an open goal. Another point followed to Rangers. Paterson and Gordon worked well up, and then gave to Bowie, who drove a low ball hard into the net. This concluded the scoring.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 8th September 1913

Rangers Teamsheet:  Hempsey; Campbell, Muir; Gordon, Logan, Hendry; Paterson, Bowie, Reid, Bennett, Brown


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Greig, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Brewster, Low, Soye, McIntosh, Main, Travers, Scorgie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir

Related Links: