Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1891-92 fixture list
The Aberdeen 2 - 3 London Caledonians
Kick Off:  3:30 PM   Whitehead, From Scrimmage        
Attendance: 0
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
The Aberdeen Caught on the Hop.
As part of their Easter tour the London Caledonians engaged in a friendly game with the Aberdeen at Chanonry. Despite the cold and threatening weather of the early part of the day, the afternoon was favourable to good football, although from a spectator's point of view a good deal more could have been wished in the matter of warm sunshine. Naturally the interest taken in the match was great, and it was not surprising to see such a large turnout of spectators. With the exception of the meeting of the chief local teams in the cup tie competitions, no larger crowd has been seen in Aberdeen at a football match this season. The Aberdeen team, recently amalgamated with the Bon-Accord, was about the strongest that could have been put into the field, and was as follows: Ramsay ; Ketchen and Wood; Colin Ross, Thomson, and Cobban; Flaws, McFarlane, Forsyth, Brown, and Whitehead. The Caledonian were: William Stirling ; H. Gaylard, and J. Barbour ; J. D. Menzies, J. M. Barclay, and G. M. Key; R. H. Howie, A. Whitehead, R. H. Clark, W. Williamson, and C, H. Brown.
On entering the field, the visitors received a hearty welcome, and, although they were deprived of the services of one of their best players, Lambie, of the Queen's Park, who is quite a favourite in Aberdeen, their appearance promised, for the Chanonry men a tough battle. The strangers began hostilities by kicking off, and immediately invading Aberdeen territory. Ketchen and Wood managed to clear, however, and play was transferred to the other end. But the home attack was short-lived, for in a few minutes the Caledonians were again pressing, and by capital passing they brought the ball in dangerous proximity to the Aberdeen goalmouth. And they were not to be denied, an easy goal falling to their lot. Their superior play was again seen a few minutes later, when a second point was secured. For a short time the ball was confined to midfield, but again the Caledonians succeeded in shooting another goal. The point, however, was Disallowed. Beginning to assert themŽselves, the Aberdeen charged with spirit, and a corner was conceded to them. The ball, however, went behind. Fast play followed, and from an unfortunate miss on the part of Ketchen a third goal was notched for the Caledonians by Howie. Attacking with dash on the right forward line, the strangers? goal was subjected to a perfect fusillade by the Aberdonians, but Stirling defended in fine form. Two fouls were gained by the Aberdeen, and ultimately Whitehead scored the first goal for the local team. When the whistle sounded half-time, the score stood: Caledonians 3, Aberdeen 1.
On resuming, matters seemed more favourable for the "whites," but an injury to Ross, which necessitated his retirement from the field for some time, prevented them from asserting themselves at once. On his return, however, the Aberdeen played a remarkably good combination, and had at all hands the best of the game. Some adverse rulings, however, were not calculated to encourage them much, but they continued to press, and a resultless corner was granted to them. Play was at this point somewhat uninteresting, but, finally, from a scrimmage at goalmouth the ball was sent through a second time by the Aberdonians. Luck was against them towards the close, and although the Caledonian goal was frequently in danger the game was not put on an equal footing, the score when time was called standing : London Caledonian, 3; Aberdeen, 2.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 18th April 1892

The visit of the London Caledonians created quite a furore in football circles in Aberdeen, and consequently one of the largest assemblies of the season lined the ropes at Chanonry on Saturday, The day was extremely fine, and the game proved an interesting one from beginning to end. The visitors were without Hay and Hunter, but the Aberdeen were strengthened by three of the defunct Accord - Forsyth, Macfarlane, and Henry Flaws. The strangers began in rare form, and from some fine passing, in which the right wing were conspicuous, goal number 1 was scored, Arthur Whites repeating the performance a few minutes afterwards with a pretty point. The whites then had a look in, Stirling's abilities being tested to the utmost. Time after time he was assailed, but beaten he couldn't be, and then relief came to him from Howie, who went careering away in the direction of Ramsay, and that custodian was beaten for the third time. Play was now more open for a time, but the Chanonry lads increased the pace and again gave Stirling a very anxious time of it, Whitehead eventually "dooing" him amid cheers, and the teams crossed over with the southerners leading by 3 goals to 1.

The game was fought out with great spirit in the second half, the locals having the best of matters. Mr Burnett gave the Chanonry men a goal, and an interesting match ended in a win for the Caledonians by 3 goals to 2. The point awarded Aberdeen in the second half should not have been given, as Stirling cleared when at least a yard in front of his charge. There was a dispute about the third point scored by the winners, but those in the immediate vicinity of the goal declare that the point was a genuine one. Without being rough, the game was spiritedly and energetically contested. It was the International match over again, as the first few minutes' play virtually settled matters. Stirling was the bright and particular star of the afternoon, his dashing, showy tactics in goal installing him as a favourite with the crowd. Of the backs, Gaylord was decidedly the best, some of his work being of the most finished description. Menzies easily took the half-back honours, playing a very goodgame throughout. Key was palpably nervous, and spoiled his work by trying too much. The forwards are a capable lot, Whitehead and Howie being the best. They played a brilliant game in the first ten minutes, when they worked into each other?s hands, but when they essayed the individual dribbling process they were not successful, Howie was the greatest sinner in this respect, but Arthur Ramsay was not free from blame, especially in the second half. Had they stuck to their opening tactics they would undoubtedly have given Ramsay infinite trouble. Ramsay suffered when compared with Stirling, though he defended fairly, and we fear the Aberdeen have not found the Stonehaven lad a gem of the first water. Neither of the backs were in their element. Of the two, Tom was the best, but he must give up that dangerous practice of dribbling down the field out of his proper place. Thomson and Ross were safe at half, both working with their wonted energy. Ross was injured, and had to rest for a little, but after getting set agoing again he went to work with as much spirit as ever. Cobban sustained an injury to his ankle, and was not able to do much, though he stuck in gamely to the end. Forsyth in centre gave the right wing plenty of work, but occasionally forgot the two on the left. He passed, dribbled, and dodged in capital style, as did also Macfarlane and Flaws, all of whom made a good show on this their first appearance on the classic turf. However, if anything, there was too much passing about the work of the centre and inside man, and far too few tries at goal. Forsyth did have a shy or two, but they were devoid of fire. Macfarlane will add to his reputation as a forward if he will make an effort to shoot when in a position to do so, instead of passing and repassing. Flaws was not expected to do great things, as he was somewhat lame. However, he played a courageous game, though his shooting was not all that could be desired. One thing about him, he isn't afraid to bang them in - that was fully demonstrated - and there is every likelihood that with a little practice he will make as good a forward as he was a back. Whitehead and Morley had a great fight with Menzies and Gaylord, and the stubborn defence of those gentlemen the energetic and enthusiastic left wingers would have been a thorn in the side of the massive Stirling.

Short Kicks.

General regret was expressed at Willie Key's absence from the whites on Saturday. Unfortunately, he is suffering from an affection of the eye, and is resting at home at Montrose. When restored to health, Mr Key goes to EdinŽburgh University to finish his education, so that we have seen the last of him as a playing member of the Chanonry eleven, to whom he has rendered brilliant and honourable service. We will have to refer to Mr Key next week, perhaps.
The students of the Free Church Training College had a tussle with the pupil teachers of the city on Saturday last. The match took place at Chanonry, and ended in the complete annihilation of the P.T.'s?the score at the finish reading 13 to 1 in favour of the Free Kirk era.
Mr Burnett of the Aberdeen F.O. officiated as referee, and had to use his note-book to mark the goals.
Singleton and Black of the Aberdeen F.C., of course, assisted their College. The former gave a fine display of back play, whilst Black had 8 of the 13 goals.

Source: Bon-Accord, 23rd April 1892

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, Thomson, Cobban; Flaws, Macfarlane, Key, Brown, Whitehead


London Caledonians Teamsheet:  William Stirling; H. Gaylard, J. Barbour; J. D. Menzies, J. M. Barclay, G. M. Key; R. H. Howie, A. Whitehead, R. H. Clark, W. Williamson, C. H. Brown



Related Links: