Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Scottish Cup First Preliminary Round 
Orion 7 - 2 Victoria United
Kick Off:  4:00 PM   Macfarlane, Forsyth, Macfarlane, Leggat, Fraser, Leggat, Forsyth       Ingram, Annand  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
The Stripes Beat the Cup Holders
The first round of the qualifying competition in the Scottish Cup ties was decided on Saturday. Three Aberdeen clubs are in the competition, and as the Aberdeen F.C. secured a bye in the first round they placed their ground at Chanonry at the disposal of the Victoria United and Orion, who had to try conclusions on Saturday; and who, at the present moment, are without grounds of their own. The weather was showery throughout the day, but in expectation of an interesting match between such keen rivals as the combatants are, a large number of spectators assembled at Chanonry, despite the strong counter attractions elsewhere. As to the issue of the match there was extreme doubt on the part of many, although each team had its staunch supporters prepared to back their favourites. Neither eleven have had a proper opportunity this season yet of showing their capabilities; but that of the Victoria United, which club holds both the Aberdeenshire and the Charity cups, were more generally regarded as likely to win. The Orion, however, have a tough team, and few cared to risk their reputation as prophets by attempting to name the winner before the game began. The teams that took the field were : Orion - Goal, Gordon; backs, Foote and Mackay; half-backs, Wight, Low, and Baird: forwards, Fraser, Macfarlane, Gloag, Forsyth, and Leggat. Victoria United - Gray; Simpson and Thomson; Ross, Ingram, and Stewart; Turner, Francis, Sutherland, Annand, and Ferries. The colours were - United, blue ; Orion, pink and white stripes. As the men entered the field they were loudly cheered. The Orion came first, led by Captain Gloag, and a moment later the blues followed. Mr Lyall, Dundee, was referee.
The United won the toss, and played from the lower end with a stiffish breeze in their favour. One or two fruitless rushes were made to either end, and then the Stripes asserted themselves, Gray being called upon twice in quick succession to defend his charge. This he did successfully though not with the vigour that characterised his movements in his palmy days at Torry. He had not warmed to his work, however. A third attack by the stripes sent the ball behind, dangerously near the United goal post. This gave relief, and immediately Gordon had to hold out a shot from a fine centre by Turner. Play was of a somewhat fast and loose description, its recklessness frustrating several likely chances on both ends. For a time neither side could claim any advantage, except that the United forced the first corner. Turner took the kick and centred well, but his comrades failed to put it through. After some further reckless play, a perfect hurricane of wind and rain was experienced, but this in no way damped the interest of players and spectators. On the contrary the excitement became intense as, in the height of the hurricane, a determined attack was made on the United's goal. Two hot shots were smartly held by Gray, but a third return was too much for him, and Macfarlane scored the first goal of the game for the Orion. This was greeted with deafening cheers. A little later the United looked like retaliating, but the Orion defence prevailed over a heavy siege, repeated attacks on each goal ensued, the play being somewhat rough, causing the referee to award several free kicks. A scrimmage near the United goal ended in Gloag and Forsyth overcoming Gray, and adding a second goal to their score. Up to this time, what combination there had been was most conspicuous on the Orion side, but the Blues were now roused, and they bore down on the Orion citadel with irresistible force, Ingram scored, and again frantic cheers were raised. Hot work followed, and as the ground was now wretchedly slippery the men fell about in all directions. Some feeling was caused by Turner attempting a kick against the award of the referee. After several wild rushes the United attacked, and Annand sent in a good shot, Gordon fumbled it through, and the game was equalised amid a scene of the wildest excitement. No further scoring took place in the first half, which ended: Victoria United 2; Orion 2.

When the game was resumed the Orion were the first to force the pace, and three corners which they got in less than three minutes looked bad for the blues, but each was resultless. However, the Stripes continued to press, and McFarlane once more put his aide one up. Again the game became very fast and "hands" were frequent. At times there was far too much playing on the man instead of the ball. The Orion were having the best of it however, the forwards working well together while the halves and backs returned the ball in fine style. With a fine screw Leggat scored another point, and the stripes stood two goals up, Sharp attacks on both ends followed, and on one occasion the Orion goal was miraculously saved amid the greatest excitement. Fraser ended a pretty run by smartly registering another point. The United seemed to become demoralised, and, following some smart play, Leggat again scored, and the Orion led by 6 to 2. It was now a foregone conclusion that the Orion were to win. Attacks were made on either end, but the stripes played with much more spirit than their opponents, and Forsyth rushed through the ball after it had struck the bar and scored the seventh point. No further scoring took place, and the game ended: Orion 7, Victoria United 2

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 6th September 1892

The Orion met the Victoria United at Chanonry in their Scottish Cup tie, with the result that the stripes won in a "common trot" by 7 goals to 2. Jamie Gordon kept goal for Lumsden, who was rendered hors de combat by the horse play of the Dundonians the previous week. Gordon proved an excellent custodian, and Foote and Mackay performed very creditably at back, while the defence of Wight, Lowe, and Wattie Baird at half was all that could be desired. The inclusion of Macfarlane and Forsyth has made the front line complete, and on Saturday's form they'll take some beating by even the best of our northern elevens. Macfarlane and Fraser played beautifully together. Gloag was all there in centre, Forsyth worked gallantly with Leggat, the wee 'un being in his very best form. The Vics, who wanted Ririe, will no doubt improve on their Saturday's play. In Francis they have secured a splendid forward, a player who not only knows the game in all its bearings, but who can play it to perfection.

Source: Bon-Accord, 10th September 1892

Orion Teamsheet:  Gordon; Foote, Mackay; Wight, Low, Baird; Fraser, Macfarlane, Gloag, Forsyth, Leggat


Victoria United Teamsheet:  Gray; Simpson, Thomson; Ross, Ingram, Stewart; Turner, Francis, Sutherland, Annand, Ferries


Referee: Mr. Lyall, Dundee

Related Links: