Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Scottish Cup Third Preliminary Round 
The Aberdeen 5 - 2 Inverness Caledonian
Kick Off:  3:30 PM   Singleton, Toman,Toman,Black       Connelly, McDougall  
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
Onward and Upward!
On Saturday twenty Scotch clubs were engaged in the fourth round of the qualifying competition for the National trophy. Cup ties are always productive of considerable excitement among the countless enthusiasts of the game, but Saturday's matches had a special interest from the fact that the round was the last of the qualifying competition. The ten victorious clubs will enter the final stage along with 22 other teams - the flower of Scottish football - who, on account of their superiority, stood out of the earlier rounds. The Aberdeen F.C., the oldest club in the city, was the only local combination left in the competition, and they met the Caledonian (Inverness) in the round that was to determine the survival of the fittest in the first stage. In the initial round of the ties the Aberdeen secured a bye, but in the second they were drawn against Peterhead, whom they easily defeated by 9 goals to 3. The Orion in the first round vanquished the Victoria United by 7 goals to 2, and in the third round the Aberdeen and the Orion - keen old rivals - were pitted against each other. When they first met - a week after the Orion had inflicted a defeat on the older club in a friendly match - the result of a hard game was a draw of 3 goals each. A week later the combatants again faced each other to decide the issue, and this time there was no doubt in the matter, the Aberdeen running out winners by 4 goals to 2. The Caledonian were engaged in the first and second rounds. They beat the Thistle (Inverness) by 4 goals to 2, and the Union (Inverness) by 2 to 1. In the third round they drew a bye.
Chanonry was the scene of the encounter - a ground, be it said, that has witnessed not a few exciting cup ties, and on which the famous Queen's Park eleven once met the Aberdeen in the national competition. Owing to the numerous other attractive matches down for decision in town, the attendance of spectators was somewhat limited in view of the importance of the fixture, yet a goodly crowd assembled. The ground was soft and greasy with the recent rains, but the weather was fine. As the teams lined up it was seen that the players were: Aberdeen - Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, Singleton, Cobban; Black, White, Toman, Brown, Whitehead. Caledonian - Geo. Mair ; John Walker, A. Fotheringham; W. Jenkins, A. McGilvray, R. Walker; J. Macdougall, W. Chisholm, J. Connolly, D. Macduff, A. Fraser.
Colours - Inverness, blue; Aberdeen, white.
Mr Robertson, late 5th K.R.V., was referee, and a hearty cheer he received as he stepped on to the field. The Invernessians appeared first, and were warmly applauded, a similarly cordial greeting heralding the arrival of the Aberdeen players.

Aberdeen, losing the toss, kicked off with the sun in their faces and White got the ball. Macduff quickly secured it, however, and in a trice it was banged against the Aberdeen goal post. The Whites had a look in, but immediately afterwards Wood had to head out twice in rapid succession. The locals then look charge of the leather, and getting well up, Black sent in a stinger, but Mair was on the alert and smartly held it out. After a throw in, Whitehead had a chance, but sent in a weak, ill-directed shot. For a time play was somewhat fast and loose, Aberdeen doing most of the pressing. Whitehead, with a fine screw, forced a Corner, but it was fruitless. A free kick to Aberdeen on the Inverness goal followed, but the Highlanders lined well up, and kept their sheet clear. Soon after another free kick was given owing to Macdougall ducking, but the Aberdeen were taking but poor advantage of their chances and failed to score. Still another foul (by R. Walker) was given against Inverness, yet the game continued comparatively uninteresting. Inverness had a visit to the Aberdeen goal, but a beautiful run to the other end by the Aberdeen right wing followed, and after some exciting play Aberdeen scored the first goal of the game, the ball going through off Singleton. This was after fifteen minutes' play. The Highlanders were now roused, and rushing eastwards they forced two corners, but made no other impression. Another siege by Aberdeen followed and after a brief period of excitement, Toman banged the ball through, thus putting Aberdeen two ahead. The game continued a repetition of what has been described, Aberdeen having the most of the play. White in particular was giving the Inverness a deal of trouble, his beautiful throws being dangerous. Towards the end of the first half, the visitors played up with more determination, and showed some fine passing, but they failed to score, and the first period ended, with Aberdeen,2; Caledonian, 0.

Soon after the second half started, Black gave Mair a beauty to punt out, which he did well. Then the Invernessians went away with some good passing, and Connelly sent in a good shot, which Ramsay caught, but then allowed to go through from his own hand. This was the first goal for the Blues and corning as it did about three minutes after play was resumed, it roused some little excitement. The Invernessians were heartily cheered, and the Aberdonians were somewhat sarcastically told to waken up. This they did, but not before Alec Wood had kept out another stinging shot from the foot of Fraser. The Whites went off with a rush, and Toman again scored, the ball being fumbled by Mair just as Ramsay did a few minutes before. Aberdeen made another attack but it proved abortive, and then McDougall, the Inverness out-side right, showed a splendid bit of play. Getting the ball near the Inverness end he had a grand run along almost the entire length of the field, flying past the players in grand style. When he reached a respectable shooting distance he sent in a swift, raking shot which fairly beat Ramsay, and the game stood 3-2. McDougall was loudly cheered for his fine play. Matters now became much livelier. Inverness had some more trials, but Aberdeen broke away and Black, at close quartets, scored with a low swift shot amid deafening cheers. The Whites kept up a heavy siege, and the Caledonian goal ran several narrow escapes. In the closing moments of the game both sides pressed hard, the locals still having the best of the game. Just before the finish White scored a beauty. Nothing further was done, and the game ended: Aberdeen 5, Caledonian 2.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 7th November 1892

Chanonry was the scene of a pleasant yet phenomanally luke-warm game last Saturday, when the Caledonian (Inverness) engaged the Aberdeen in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup (qualifying competition). Bar a slight breeze the weather was first-class. The contest - notwithstanding the fact that the meeting was a Cup tie - never reached the boiling point of excitement. During the first half the whites had decidedly the best of the exchanges, and scored twice, although the Highlanders on one or two occasions had exessdingly hard lines in not netting a point. The closing period was more energetically tested, aud after a few minutes play the strangers, indulging in some judicious passing, eluded the home defence, and recorded a goal. Stimulated and encouraged by their success, the Caley infused more spirit and dash into their actions, but the Chanonry men retaliated by adding number 3 to their credit. Nothing daunted, however, Chisholm, the inside right of the Invernessians, collared the ball about midfield, and after beating Singleton, Cobban, and Wood, scored a magnificent goal - a really fine effort, and one which drew forth the encomiums of all. From this point to the finish the Aberdeen assumed the upper-hand, and ultimately ran out winners by 5 goals to 2.

Source: Bon-Accord, 12th November 1892

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, Singleton, Cobban; Black, White, Toman, Brown, Whitehead


Inverness Caledonian Teamsheet:  Geo. Mair ; John Walker, A. Fotheringham; W. Jenkins, A. McGilvray, R. Walker; J. Macdougall, W. Chisholm, J. Connolly, D. Macduff, A. Fraser


Referee: Mr James Robertson, 5th K.R.V.

Related Links: