Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Scottish Cup First Round 
The Aberdeen 4 - 6 St Mirren
Kick Off:  2:30 PM   White, Brown, White, Cobban       Brash, McPhee, Ramsay (o.g.), McPhee, Shaw, From Scrimmage  
Attendance: 500
Venue: Carrow Road, Norwich
These teams met in the first round of ties in the final stage of the Scottish Cup at Chanonry before a crowd of about 500 spectators. The teams were: St Mirren: Patrick, Crawford and Mirk ; Douglas, Brown, and McBain; Brash, McPhee, Shaw, and McLean; linesman, Mr Paterson. Aberdeen: Ramsay; Ketchen and Wood; Ross, Cobban, and Ewan; Black, White, Toman, Brown, and Singleton ; linesman, Mr Tom Blann: referee, Mr J Williamson, Edinburgh.
St Mirren won the toss, and Aberdeen set the leather in motion. Toman, by a capital kick, sent the leather spinning to the east goal, but the ball went behind. Again the ball was returned to the St Mirren backs, and in a twinkling the visitors made up their right wing, and also sent the sphere spinning behind the posts. A short respite gave the defenders an opportunity of gathering themselves together, and after an exciting scrimmage, a corner was conceded. An exciting tussle resulted, and it seemed that first blood was about to be drawn by the strangers, but it was not so. A determined defence succeeded in clearing the lines, and the scene of hostilities was transferred to mid-field. Within a minute, however, by a rush up, the ball was sent behind the home goal. Sent back again, Aberdeen were quickly pulled up by the referee giving a foul against Ketchen - a decision by no means relished by the spectators - but it was of no avail. The leather was smartly returned to mid-field, and Singleton, centreing beautifully, White brought out loud cheers by shooting with great accuracy. The ball, unfortunately for Aberdeen, just grazed the outside of the goal-post. This "set up the backs" of the St Mirren men, who, determined not to be beaten, put on a spurt. The ball was quickly transferred to the other end of the field, and Brash, with unerring aim, sent in the first goal for St Mirren amid loud applause, which showed that the south country men had their share of supporters. McPhee and Shaw initiated a run from the kick-off. Ross fouled the ball about twenty yards in front of his own goal, but fortunately for his team the result was not disastrous. By dint of some good passing the ground team got well down the field, and Brown had decidedly hard lines in seeing a well meant shot carry the sphere over the cross-bar. In a short time the strangers were harassing the home defence, and McPhee very easily secured a second goal. Slight cheering greeted this success. In a succeeding attack Shaw tried to head the ball through, but he missed his chance, and his opponents gradually, by the aid of some neat passing, worked their way down to the east citadel. Here Colin again getting on the leather passed across, and White, who was lying directly in front of goal, managed to head it against the post, from which it cannoned through the goal amidst tremendous applause. This adverse result appeared in no way to daunt the strangers, who went off with a rush and obtained two corners in quick succession. These, however, resulted in nothing, except that the home players got down, and managed to get the leather behind. Up to this time the home team were playing in a style that fairly astounded their own followers, their passing, kicking, and shooting having been rarely surpassed, even in their best days. The result was that, the spectators were almost wild with excitement, and urged on their favourites with all the lung power they possessed. A splendid run on the part of the Aberdeen players elicited the cheers of the spectators, but Ross in taking a "screw" sent the ball in touch. A foul against Shaw checked a dangerous run by the Paisley men, and Brown, with the assistance of Toman, in capital style equalised the game. A scene of tremendous enthusiasm followed; the Aberdeen onlookers were jubilant, and could scarce contain themselves. After some less interesting play Black sent in a shot like an arrow, but Patrick was all there and fisted out the sphere. But the invaders were not to be put off, and once again they returned with redoubled energy. A scrimmage, the like of which is seldom seen in Aberdeen for excitement, resulted, and more than once the crowd raised shouts of "Goal!" The score was not, however, to be added to just yet, as the Paisley forwards, by means of some clever tactics, took charge of the ball, and piloted it with conspicuous smartness to neutral territory. A throw in followed almost immediately, and Cobban took advantage of a clear field to try his shooting powers, but the ball was too high, and went harmlessly over the bar. Returning to the charge the strangers were down the field like lightning, but Ketchen saved. Within a few minutes Ramsay was called on to save twice, which he easily did, although he was in anything but a comfortable position. Brash was next prominent, in a run on the right, but. McBain, in tackling, kicked into touch. The throw-in went to Ross, but that player, contrary to his usual style, centred very feebly. Shortly afterwards a corner felt to the home team, and Ewan sent in a nice kick, which, unfortunately, came to nothing. reversing the order, the strangers again pressed, and were at Ramsay within a few minutes, but again the trusty custo-dian of Aberdeen proved himself quite equal to his task. Retaliating, the Whites again got towards the east. "Morley" Brown, Toman, and Singleton being conspicuous in the run; and on getting within measurable distance of the opposing goal, Brown sent the leather across to Toman. That man, however, had not an opportunity to shoot, and quite correctly returned the pass to "Morley." Crawford, who was lying handy, by the aid of a big kick, gave the required relief, and the leather was transferred to the other end. Subsequently "Morley" caught the leather, and passed to White, but the latter player, by a mistake of judgment, kicked the ball too high, with the result that it passed over the crossbar, to the chagrin of the onlookers. After some time the home citadel was again attacked, but Ramsay, playing with his usual caution, fisted out the leather. In a few seconds half-time was sounded, the scores standing: Aberdeen 2, St Mirren 2.

McPhee opened the second half by passing to Wyllie, but Wood gave relief. Notwithstanding this the Stripes again forced their way down in spite of all opposition, and Ramsay was again called on to fist out. To this task he was quite equal, and then his forwards got away, and were not stopped until they wore dangerously near the strangers' goal. Here a fine exhibition of head work was given by the left and centre forwards of Aberdeen and Brash and Wyllie. Relief was soon at hand, and McLean managed to get on the track of the ball. He was soon pulled up sharply by the referee for off-side, but this event did not relieve the pressure, and Ramsay in endeavouring to save a high shot allowed the ball to go through' his own goal - three for St Mirren. From the kick-off the visitors ran to the charge of the Aberdeen and gained a corner, which however, was futile. With comparative ease the ground team made a passage to the other end of the field. Here "Morley" by a judicious kick sent the ball, to his partner, and Singleton tried to head the leather home. Patrick cleared his lines, but no sooner had he done this than White eluded the custodian's vigilance, and scored a third goal. As fate would have it the totals were not destined to remain long equal. Almost before the Aberdeen could realize it, their opponents were swarming round the home citadel, and McPhee registered for his team goal number four. Instead of discouraging the Aberdonians, this reverse acted as a stimulus to them. They strained every nerve, and more than once made the visitors hold their breath. Ross and Cobban were conspicuous in a scrimmage that followed the kick off, and shortly afterwards the referee, who was keeping a sharp lookout, on the tactics of the players, gave a foul against St Mirren. This enabled Aberdeen to have a look in, but it was nothing more than a look in, and retaliating smartly the strangers again compelled Ramsay to use his hands. For a few minutes no particularly brilliant play was witnessed, although Aberdeen were making the strangers play all they could. It was apparent, however, that the St Mirren had still plenty left in them to make Aberdeen look out for some trouble. The Whites, it must be confessed, however, were still able to give an account of themselves, as on several occasions they caused Patrick not a few anxious moments. He was "all there," however, and managed to get the ball safely away. Taking it well down the field it found its way to touch, but the throw-in enabled Toman to send it well back in the direction of the St Mirren citadel. Coming back again Brash made a mistake in passing too short, but the leather found its way to the neighbourhood of Aberdeen goal, where Ramsay was again called upon to fist, out a stinging shot. He had to repeat the performance in a few minutes, and White got well up the field. His career was soon ended by Mirk, who returned the leather to its old position in dangerous proximity to the Aberdeen goal, a piece of beautiful tackling ensued. It would be difficult to say which team made the best appearance. At length, however, the strangers gained a temporary supremacy, and Shaw secured a soft goal. A behind for the visitors was the outcome of a subsequent attack, but in their next effort the St Mirren were crowned with success. A determined scrimmage took place, and from the tussle a sixth goal was added to the Paisley total. Brown and Singleton did all they could to change the scene of the play, but they were well watched, and time and again the ball was returned to the Aberdeen territory, where the match was stubbornly fought out. Once the Aberdonians succeeded in reaching the Paisley charge, and secured a foul a few yards' in front of this goal mouth. It was doubtful whether this could be converted into a point, but Cobban did the needful and raised the Aberdeen score to four. There was another outburst of enthusiasm. With five minutes to play there were still hopes that the Aberdonians would equalise, and two corners in succession were looked upon as good omens. Do as they might, however, the ground team could not force the leather through, and a splendid game resulted in the St Mirren running out the winners by two goals. The final score was: St Mirren 6, Aberdeen 4.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 28th November 1892


Great Game at Chanonry.

The large and enthusiastic assembly that paid double fare at Chanonry on Saturday is evidence indeed of the popularity of the Association code among the canny Aberdonians. The "penalty" paid to the St Mirren - 20 and half gate - was a pretty stiff one, but it is very satisfactory that the public came nobly to the rescue and supported the Senior Club in no unstinted way, and though the visitors got the lion's share of the "chips," there was a nice little balance to the right side of the sheet. It was the match of the day - in fact there was no other - and if the play was not so brilliant on the part of the strangers as was expected, the game was replete with interest from beginning to end, the locals pleasing their supporters very much indeed by the gallant way they fought for victory. This was denied them, but the fact that they could score 4 genuine goals against such a combination as the conquerors of the Queen's Park shows that the team is now as strong all round as ever it was.

From Chanonry.

The Aberdeen is out of the running for the national honours, after a capital tight.
If the Paisley "chappies" thought they had a soft thing on they were greatly mistaken.
In the opening stages the locals threw an energy and dash into their play that came as a most agreeable surprise to the large crowd, who cheered them on most enthusiastically. The visitors were completely taken by surprise, as they were never allowed to settle down in the first 45, the teams crossing over equal.
On resuming the northerners played up manfully for a time, but eventually the "pace that kills" began to tell, and they slowed down perceptibly, thus allowing the strangers to get into combined form, with the result that the spectators were treated to some beautiful passing, the whole line of forwards working together in capital unison. Getting their second wind, so to speak, the whites put in some capital work in the closing minutes of the game, and when No. 4 was sent past Patrick a roar went up that was heard by the golfers on the Links.
Still pressing they made some gallant and desperate charges on the southerners' goal, but couldn't score, the game ending in a win for St Mirren by 6 goals to 4, the best thing ever done in a Scottish Cup tie by a local team. We compliment the team all round on their excellent display, and if they can keep up to Saturday's standard they will not only be able to hold their own with the Orion and Vics, but ought to score a good few points in their League engagements.
The St Mirren are no doubt a much better team than their form of Saturday would indicate. Their forwards got no chance of settling down in the first half, but when they fell into combination in the second their passing all along the line was of the very best class.
Patrick, who is a cool customer, kept a good goal, and was ably supported by Mirk at full-back, whose all-round display was really excellent. Crawford is a fine kick, but his tackling powers are not on a par with his companion's. Though neither of the halves were absolutely brilliant, each played their parts very well indeed, their tackling in the close being of great service to the forwards.
The whole front line are clever exponents of the passing game, and very dangerous when in anything like shooting position. Brash played a finished game, and was the best of the lot - fast, tricky, and a sure shootist.
Wyllie, McPhee, Shaw, and McLean all played well, but the latter was a dreadful nuisance to the referee, who was eternally bringing him up for offsides, while Shaw was inclined to be much too robust, and ought to have been penalised oftener than he was - especially once when he attempted to duck Colin Ross, Ramsay capped his many previous good deeds playing a dashing, and at the same time a most resourceful defence.
It was indeed a grand performance, the judicious and cool way he kept his charge intact when sorely pressed coming as a revelation even to his most ardent admirers.
Tom Ketchen was in splendid fighting trim. Some of the critics complain of his speaking too much. As captain of the team he had a perfect right to do so - indeed, he would have been failing in his duty had he neglected to claim "offsides, " so frequent was the offence committed.
Alec Wood was slightly off in the first half, but on getting roused in the latter stage played fairly well, though not up to his best reputation.
Cobban was the best half on the field. He showed his companions how to use their weight legitimately, and if they had done so in the goalmouth more points would undoubtedly have been scored, as the opponents were given too much rope, and allowed to clear at their leisure.
Ewen advanced another stage, playing effectively throughout.
Colin Ross worked hard enough, but somehow not with that success which invariably follows his efforts.
` Forward, there was one fault very noticeable - the failure of the men to support each other in goalmouth, some of them being deprived of the sphere when a little friendly attention to the enemy would have enabled them to score.
Toman played finely in centre, and it would appear the Aberdeen has at last got a centre worthy of the name. His placings with both head and foot were remarkably clever, and he was a perfect thorn to the opposing defence.
White backed him up in fine style. He is a slow beginner, but when he gets on the run he is invariably dangerous.
Singleton was fair, but his companion were completely off. Indeed, we have not seen Morley so rusty this season. Perhaps the strange "boots" knocked him out of his stride.
Black was a distinct disappointment, and in the words of an onlooker, "Needs a rest badly."
If the latter was the disappointment of the Aberdeen team, the referee was the disappoint of the match, and doesn't seem class enough - at least on his Saturday's form. Had he done his duty properly the score would have been about equal, as he gave one palpably offside goal to the Saints, and failed to see a point scored by Aberdeen in a scrimmage in goalmouth which, however, was not claimed, as far as we could observe.
A southern contemporary tells its readers 11 goals were scored, 5 of which were disallowed. This is a downright falsehood, and we would advise this sickly "red rag" to verify its information in future.

Source: Bon-Accord, 3rd December 1892

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, Cobban, Ewan; Black, White, Toman, Brown, Singleton


St Mirren Teamsheet:  Patrick; Crawford, Mirk; Douglas, Brown, McBain; Brash, McPhee, Shaw, McLean


Referee: Mr. J. Williamson, Edinburgh

Related Links: