Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 1 Clyde
Kick Off:    Main 47.        
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
An interesting game was seen at Aberdeen between the home team and Clyde by some 5000 spectators. Aberdeen did the major share of the attacking, but Clyde were the first to score, Campbell doing so after about twenty minutes' play. Aberdeen equalised in the first few minutes of the second half, but failed to add to their score, although pinning their opponents for the most part to their own territory.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th October 1915

About 5000 spectators witnessed the League game between Aberdeen and Clyde at Pittodrie. The weather was excellent.

Aberdeen won the toss, and played towards the city, with the wind in their favour. From the kick-off then made progress, and Walker tested Shingleton, but the shot was of the soft order, and the goalkeeper easily saved. Clyde transfer of play, but were quickly sent to the right-about. W. Wylie got possession, and, sprinting two wards the Clyde goal, sent across a dangerous ball, which just struck the crossbar and went out of play. Aberdeen continued on the attack for some time. Clyde forwards had a look in, but the ball was sent out the play. The home side once more applied the pressure, and kept the Clyde defence lively. Walker had a find try for goal, but Shingleton saved smartly. Clyde's right wing got away, and the ball was sent into Aberdeen's goal. Anderson just touched it and sent it to the left. Campbell picked it up and scored after 19 minutes' play. Aberdeen forwards got into range, and Shingleton was called upon. The Clyde custodian with the ball in possession fell on being tackled by Archibald, but danger for the Clyde was averted by the ball being sent out of play. For a few minutes there was exciting play in the vicinity of Clyde's goal. The visitors' turn again came, however, and Anderson had to throw out. Good work by Aberdeen's right resulted in Wylie forcing a corner, which was unproductive. Shingleton was twice called upon to save within a short time. A corner to Clyde brought them no advantage. Aberdeen were pressing when the interval arrived.

On the resumption Clyde raided, but the ball was sent out of play. Two minutes from the kick-off Aberdeen equalised. Archibald crossed the ball to Jamieson, who tricked the opposition, and sent the ball into goal. Shingleton caught the ball, but Main met him coming out, and, gaining possession of the ball, scored easily. Keeping up the pressure Wylie and Walker beat the opposing halves, and gave the ball to Jamieson. Another goal to Aberdeen seemed almost a certainty, but the centre kicked over the crossbar. The visiting defence were getting a warm time of it. Jamieson tried a long shot, but the ball went wide. Clyde forwards got to move on, but their stay in the Aberdeen Territory was of short duration. The visitors were again penned closely to their own quarters. Aberdeen secured a corner, and Walker headed in, but Shingleton fisted out. Jamieson made a creditable attempt to put Aberdeen on the lead, but the Clyde goalkeeper was not found wanting. Walker and Jamison made progress in capital style, and Shingleton had again to clear from the centre. Another corner fell to Aberdeen, but brought no advantage. Clyde attacked in the closing minutes without success.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 11th October 1915

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hume, Chatwin, Wyllie, MacLachlan, Wylie, Walker, Jamieson, Main, Archibald.

Unused Subs:


Clyde Teamsheet:  Shingleton; Farrell, Watson; Forrest, Black, Lawns; McRae, Kennedy, Welsh, Campbell, Morris


Referee: Mr. J. M. Dickson, Glasgow

Related Links: