Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Morton 3 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    McLean, Gourlay, Stevenson        
Attendance: 5,500
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Brilliant Defensive Display at Greenock
Aberdeen put up a stiff fight at Greenock, and it was only in the last twenty minutes that Morton's effectiveness told, three goals being scored in quick succession. In the first half the home team monopolised the ball, and did everything but score. Greig, in goal, was a host in himself, repeatedly clearing when all seemed lost. Aberdeen had their chances, but the forwards did not impress. The second half was full of strenuous play, and the Northern defence continued sound up till a point. McLean, from a free kick opened the scoring, and after this Morton fairly romped round their opponents, a second goal being taken by Gourlay, and a third by Stevenson. On the run of play, Morton were full value for their victory. Their defence was sound, and half backs being almost impassable. Greig played a fine game for the losers, and Hume was also a valiant defender.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th October 1915

In the first half of the game between Aberdeen and Morton at keen up there was no scoring. Aberdeen put up a great defense, but in the second half, when they were defeated by three goals to nil, the backs were not so steady. On play, Aberdeen did not deserve to be defeated by such a large margin. In the first minute of the game, Morton almost scored when Greig felled in saving. It was all Morton's attack and Aberdeen's defense. Aberdeen had only one likely chance to score in the first half, but the Morton defense prevailed.

The second half so the Aberdeen forwards too much better. Morton, however, held the whips hand, though it took them 20 minutes to register the opening goal, which was secured as the result of a free-kick just beyond the penalty area. Two minutes later, Morton again scored with a low, hard drive, and after the same interval of time they got another. Main was injured, and went to outside right. Aberdeen's first corner came after 80 minutes play, but it was not improved upon. Colman and Hume proved two of the best backs seen at Greenock this season. Colman was very clever. Aberdeen's forwards were disappointing. There was no attempt at combination.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 18th October 1915

Morton Teamsheet:  Bradford; Morrison, Ormond; McIntyre, Wright, MacLean; Torrance, Gourlay, Buchanan, Stevenson, Seymour


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Greig, Colman, Hume, Wright, Brewster, MacLachlan, Grant, Archibald, Jamieson, Main, Wylie.

Unused Subs:



Related Links: