Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1915-16 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Airdrie
Kick Off:    Main 48, Main 89.       Miller 5  
Attendance: 5,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Playing with the gale in the first half at Aberdeen, Airdrie held the advantage, and scored through Miller five minutes from the start. Though they pressed throughout most of the period before the interval they could not get through again. With the change of ends the Aberdeen forwards got more scope, and Main equalised three minutes after the resumption. Throughout the second half Aberdeen were the more aggressive team, and close on time Main gave them the lead. Airdrie, however, put up a good game against the wind, better than Aberdeen did in the first half, and were somewhat unfortunate in losing as they did.

Source: The Scotsman, 13th December 1915

Aberdeen continue to pick up points, gaining other two at the expense of Airdrie at Pittodrie on Saturday. The weather was boisterous and rainy, the players found it difficult to control the ball. Notwithstanding the disagreeable conditions the game was keenly contested, and it was just about 3 minutes from time that Aberdeen got the winning goal. Aberdeen were without Colman, while Airdrie played Reid at outside right.

Airdrie won the toss, and elected to play with the advantage of the gale. From the kick-off Aberdeen attacked, but their stay in Airdrie territory was short. The visitors were soon in front of a Anderson, and forced a corner, which proved fruitless. Five minutes from the start Miller picked up a cross from the left and scored. Aberdeen invaded, and sent the ball into the net, but the referee gave a foul against them. Airdrie again transferred play, and Reid shot, but Anderson saved at the expense of a corner. Following some exciting play near the Aberdeen goal, the home forwards cut into range, and Walker tested Wallace with a swift shot. Reid was again prominent for Airdrie, but Anderson was on the alert for his parting shot. A scrimmage in front of Aberdeen goal looked dangerous, the defence getting the ball away. A long shot by McGarrity had plenty of speed, but the ball went past the post.

With the change of ends, and the wind in their favour, Aberdeen immediately attacked, and 3 minutes from the resumption Main equalised from a pass by Wylie. Aberdeen continued to press, and forced a corner. A capital cross by Wylie was neatly picked up, but Cail sent narrowly past. The Airdrie forwards were frequently prominent, though the hurricane was now against them. The forced a corner which they were unable to improve upon. A fruitless corner came to Aberdeen a few minutes later. End-to-end play followed, with Andersen and Wallace being called on in turn. Anderson saved finely from Todd. Wylie carried the ball down for Aberdeen and centered. Maine headed into goal, but Wallace saved. Close on time Main scored, giving Aberdeen the lead.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 13th December 1915

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Chatwin, Hume, Brewster, Wyllie, MacLachlan, Wylie, Walker, Main, Cail, Archibald.

Unused Subs:


Airdrie Teamsheet:  Wallace; Mackie, Watson; Miller, McGarrity, Robertson; Reid, Todd, Thomson, Donaldson, Paterson


Referee: Mr. T. Dougary, Nitshill

Related Links: