Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1892-93 fixture list
Northern League 
The Aberdeen 6 - 1 Johnstone Wanderers
Kick Off:  3:30 PM   Toman, Toman, Brown, Whitehead, White, Murray       Dick  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
At Chanonry before a fair turnout of spectators. The teams were: Aberdeen; Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, Singleton, Ewen; Murray, Whyte, Toman, Brown, Whitehead. Wanderers: Coventry; McIntosh, Taylor; G. MCIntosh, P. Gray, Dye; Hewitt, Rattray, O. Gray, Gibson, Dick. Referee: Mr D. McVicar, Dundee.

Aberdeen kicked off against the wind, and at once went westwards, but the ball went behind. It was soon sent in the other direction, but a foul against Dick drought relief to Aberdeen, and Wood sent the leather back. Play for a time raged about midfield, till a foul against Whyte gave the strangers a chance to press, but they did not take the advantage of the opportunity. A few minutes afterwards the home team made a fine but futile attempt to score. The ball was sent up from back to Whitehead, who in turn passed across the Wanderer's goal mouth to Murray, who tried to head the leather through, but just sent it past the bar. The homesters continued to press, and had the best of play for a time till the strangers got away, and visited Ramsay, who, however, was able to fist out with his usual coolness. Toman next had a fine run up the field, but was soon stopped, but the efforts of the Whites were not to be denied. The whole front line went off like the wind, and Toman put on the finishing touch to a grand piece of combination by scoring the first goal for Aberdeen. Shortly after¬wards Toman had another chance, but the ball went over the bar just when the spectators expected a second goal for the homesters. From the kick the Wanderers came away, and, although the Whites were playing a good game, managed to forge their way towards Ramsay, Hewitt, in particular, way conspicuous by his judicious passing and shooting, but Ramsay and his backs were equal to all calls made upon them. The home forwards then went off, Murray tearing eastwards like lightning. The leather found its way to half, where Ross was ready for it, and, centring to Toman with great accuracy, that player put on the second point for the Whites. The strangers, put on their mettle by this second reverse pulled themselves together, and by some pretty combination on the part, of Dick and Gibson got to the east end of the field. There the game became a struggle between the Wanderers forwards and the home defence, and although several shots were peppered at Ramsay, the home men survived the siege. Play for a time became much more quiet, the quarters of both teams being visited in turn. Towards the close of this period the strangers, aided by the wind, had if anything the best of matters, and gave the home defence plenty to do. At times, however, the Whites found an opening, and went off to the other end, where, unfortunately for them, were unable to score. On these occasions Singleton, Whitehead, Brown, Toman, and Murray did some smart work, Singleton and Toman being especially effective in their tackling and passing. Brown, however, was erratic, and wandered far too much from place to place in the front rank. At half-time the scores were: Aberdeen 2, Wanderers 0.

Most people anticipated that with the wind in their favour the homesters would show to greater advantage than they had done in the first half, and this soon proved to be the case. The whole front line went to the east goal, and though a brief period of relief came to the strangers by a run half way down the field, given by the fumbling of Murray, the Whites were soon back again. Ross got the leather, and, with his forwards swarming round the mouth of the Wanderers' goal, passed across to Brown who smartly headed it through the goal, while at the same time he was "grassed " by a tremendous heave from McIntosh. From this point the Aberdeen men had all the best of the play for a considerable time, and kept within a close distance of the goal, Whitehead got a pass across the goal-mouth and might have headed through, but he made a mess of the chance, and the ball rolled on the other side of the post. Within a minute, however, he amply made up for his mistake. The whole of the players were swarming round the Wanderers' goal, when the leather found its way to Whitehead, and that player, making no mistake about it this time, headed through No. 4 for Aberdeen. From the kick-off the strangers pressed and Hewitt, Rattray and Dick showed powerful passing and tackling. They could not, however, get past Ramsay, who played with consummate coolness and repelled all attacks. Breaking away, the Whites made eastwards. Whitehead got the ball and sent it to Toman, who, however, was too late and just missed scoring, but White was at hand and running in to the leather scored the fifth point for his team, Coventry foolishly leaving his charge vacant. Aberdeen were soon after Coventry, but they could not manage to score again. They still kept up the pressure, and rarely allowed the strangers to get beyond half field. Singleton had a pretty easy chance to score, but to the surprise of the spectators shot too high. Shortly afterwards Whitehead got a severe kick on the leg, and after limping about the field for a few minutes had to leave. Aberdeen, although handicapped to this extent, continued to have the best of the play, and Murray, who had a neat run down the field, put on the sixth point, the ball spinning along the ground and going through without anyone making an attempt to stop its progress. This further success on the part of the home team was received with great jubilation on the part of the spectators, who did all in their power to encourage the Whites to "play up." The remainder of the game, until two minutes of time, was all in favour of Aberdeen, but in spite of their utmost efforts they were unable to pierce the defence of the Wanderers. Just before call of time the visitors' forwards went off with a rush, and passing all opposition were soon swarming round Ramsay, and testing his powers of defence, to the utmost. Dick, from the scrimmage, smartly took up a short pass, and while Ramsay was duly attended to by the others, the left winger sent home the first goal for the Wanderers. From the kick-off Aberdeen, by a piece of smart passing, were up and at Coventry, but Ross's parting shot was too high. The whistle immediately blew, the score standing: Aberdeen 6. Johnstone Wanderers 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 13th March 1893

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; Ketchen, Wood; Ross, Singleton, Ewen; Murray, Whyte, Toman, Brown, Whitehead


Johnstone Wanderers Teamsheet:  Coventry; McIntosh, Taylor; G. MCIntosh, P. Gray, Dye; Hewitt, Rattray, O. Gray, Gibson, Dick


Referee: Mr. D. McVicar

Related Links: