Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1893-94 fixture list
Northern League 
The Aberdeen 2 - 5 Victoria United
Kick Off:    McFarlane, Kilpatrick       Benzie, Benzie, Clark, Ferries, Smith  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Chanonry, Aberdeen
A Downright Disappointing Game
The Aberdeen and the Victoria United met for the first time in a league fixture at Chanonry. The teams were: Aberdeen: Ramsay; J. Davidson, Wood; Davidson, J. Thomson, Ewan; Reith, Kilpatrick, Falconer, McFarlane, Hill. United: Cannon; Foote, Ririe; Morice, Stewart, Annand; Turner, Benzie, Clark, Smith, Ferries.

The Victoria United kicked off up hill. For a considerable period neither team made any headway, but after the game had been fully ten minutes old the visitors wakened up considerably, and more than once compelled Ramsay to fist out. Owing to some misunderstanding the Aberdeen, gave their opponents an excellent opportunity of scoring, which Benzie was not slow to take advantage of, and, with a well-placed kick, he scored the first goal. The United then repeatedly attacked the Aberdeen's charge, but a capital defence on the part of Davidson, Wood, and Ramsay prevented them getting an opening. The Whites next assumed the aggressive, and again and again shots were sent in which Cannon just managed to keep out. Ultimately McFarlane sent in a strong shot, which was effective. The Whites continued to press, but owing to the erratic shooting of the forwards, failed to increase their score. Shortly before the half-time whistle sounded the visitors' forwards got away with the leather, and Benzie scored a beautiful goal with a left-foot kick. Half-time result: Victoria United 2, Aberdeen 1.

The second half opened with the Aberdeen being granted a foul. Nothing came of it, however, and the Victoria United settled down to work in earnest. The United's forwards were playing an excellent game, and Clark was not long in putting his team two goals up. The visitors kept up the attack, and at length Ramsay was for the fourth time beaten, Ferries on this occasion doing the needful. The Aberdeen forwards seemed useless, and they made little or no attempt at combination. Smith for the Victoria scored the fifth goal. After this defeat the Chanonry team worked a little harder, and a fine left wing run terminated in Kilpatrick sending in a stinging shot which Cannon bungled, and allowed the opposing forwards to rush through. Little or nothing of interest occurred during the remainder of the match, and the game ended in a decided victory for the "Blues." Result: Victoria United, 5; Aberdeen, 2.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 13th November 1893

Though the Aberdeen has been dead out of the running this season so far am matters have proceeded, and their chances of vanquishing the "Iron Dukes" in their Northern League engagement consequently very small, it was pleasing to note by the large company present that the Senior Club is still a potent factor in local football, and can draw a crowd that other clubs similarly situated would fail to do. The Wellingtonians were fully represented - Willie Stewart appearing at left half - but the Whites had to revolutionise their front rank, only one player of tried experience (Macfarlane) appearing in the quintet. The story of the game needs no elaboration. In brief, it was a downright disappointing one, partaking of that helter-skelter scrambling-allover-the-place sort of play which takes all the go out of the players before they are half through their work, besides tiring the onlookers out of all patience. There were a few touches of the finer points of the game observable, but they were like angels' visits - few and far between. That the best team won there is no manner of doubt, but there was not much in the victory. Indeed, when we consider the weak line of forwards played by the Whites, they were not disgraced by a long way, thanks to their brilliant defence. The striking fault of both teams was their lack of combination in front. We didn't expect much of this from the ground lads, but we certainly did look for better things from the Blues, and we assure them of this fact that unless they very soon get an understanding of each other's play and work together with a little more harmony they will not get far up the League ladder. Mr T. W. R. Johnston, Stirling, was referee.

Short Kicks.

The large assembly at Chanonry was not amoured of the play on Saturday.
There was too much individual effort, with a commensurate absence of combined play about it to be interesting.
The Blues won easily enough at the finish, but they were a long time in troubling the scoring sheet.
The afternoon was just suited to the passing game, but instead of keeping the ball on the grass both sides indulged in fruitless high kicking.
The goalkeepieg of Cannon was as smart as ever.
Foote defended gallantly, but Ririe made some dangerous mistakes, and was otherwise a good bit off.
Stewart at half was a long way in front of his companions.
Both Annand and Morris's kicking often gave relief, the first-named putting plenty power into his strokes, but both would have been of more service had they kept the ball on the carpet and placed to those in front.
The forwards played an individual game pure and simple, there being scarcely any attempts at combination.
Clark didn't improve as a centre, but got on very well by himself. Turner and Bennie did get a little of the ball it the first half, and performed creditably enough. the appearance of either in close proximity to Ramsay always spelling danger.
Smith is a perfect glutton for work, and of his performance we have nothing but praise.
He tackles neatly and effectively, dodges very adroitly, and knows how and when to shoot.
Ferris played a good game, but foolishly gave himself away by losing his temper, a fault he must at once give over.
On the losing side, Ramsay, though left too much at the mercy of the opposing forwards, kept his charge with courage and commendable good temper.
Perhaps it will not be oat of place here to tell Messrs Wood and Davidson that it is their duty to make au effort to keep off the rushes of the opposing forwards when their custodian is in danger.
While we are about it, we would also advise Clark and Ferris to be a little less energetic and a little more fair in their charging tactics.
Alec Wood tackled with a fair amount of success, and punted brilliantly.
His companion's returns were finely executed, and with a little experience in tackling he should prove one of the best backs Aberdeen has produced.
Jimmie Thomson played wonderfully well for one who has been on the shelf so long. Indeed, his resolute defence in the first half-hour in great part kept the Blues at bay.
Ewen passed very well to the forwards, but they could make nothing of it.
Davidson was fearfully reckless. Will no one drop a kindly hint into this lad's ear?
Macfarlane was about as good a forward as wee on the field, and seeing he was fighting almost single handed, his exhibition was the more to be commended.
Reith isn't progressing rapidly as a forward, and as for Hill, he was a passenger most of the journey.
"James" and Kilpatrick look likely lads, who in time may become first-class forwards.

Source: Bon-Accord, 18th November 1983

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ramsay; J. Davidson, Wood; Davidson, J. Thomson, Ewan; Reith, Kilpatrick, Falconer, McFarlane, Hill


Victoria United Teamsheet:  Cannon; Foote, Ririe; Morice, Stewart, Annand; Turner, Benzie, Clark, Smith, Ferries


Referee: Mr T. W. R. Johnston, Stirling

Related Links: