Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1916-17 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 0 - 1 Third Lanark
Kick Off:  2:15 PM         Weir 39  
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Some 3000 spectators were present at the game between Aberdeen and Third Lanark at Aberdeen. The weather was dull and the ground soft. In the earlier stages of the game Third Lanark pressed, but afterwards the interchanges were fairly equal. Six minutes from the interval Weir scored for Third Lanark by heading the ball into the net. In the second half, Aberdeen were more aggressive, but could not get through the Third's defence. A draw would have been a fair enough result on the general run of the play.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th December 1916

We'll Aberdeen were defeated by Third Lanark at Pittodrie by 1 goal to 0, and draw would have been a fair enough result considering the general run of the play. About 3000 spectators were present.

Aberdeen won the toss, and played two wards the sea. Give-and-take play was witnessed at the start both ends being visited in turn. Wilkie was the first to get in a shot, but the ball went over the bar. Sutherland next had a try, but sent wide. Keeping up the pressure, Third forced a corner, which brought them no advantage. Aberdeen made progress, and Cail attempted to tip into the net from a pass by Brewster, but sent past the posts. Another corner fell to Third Lanark, but proved fruitless. In an attack by Aberdeen, Ambler got into a good position, but was tackled by McCormack and Wharrier ran out and kicked clear. Aberdeen got a corner, and Wylie kicked well in, but Thirds managed to clear. Picking up a cross from Mackay, Ambler shot, but Wharrier saved without great difficulty. Six minutes from half-time Weir scored for third Lanark, heading past Anderson in easy style.

On the resumption, Aberdeen raided, but Third backs were watchful, and sent them to the right about. They returned to the attack, however, and for some time play was confined to the visitors' quarters. Thirds had a smart dash, but Brewster came to the rescue. McLean had a long-range try, but the ball went wide. Ambler tested Wharrier at the other end and then Brewster shot swiftly over the cross-bar. There was some excitement during a hot attack by Aberdeen, in which several of the forwards made an attempt to score, but could not get through. A corner fell to Aberdeen, but will keep headed out. Ambler again slipped into goal, but Wharrier saved. Aberdeen kept up the offensive, and the Third's defenders were busy. The visitors got away, but their stay in the Aberdeen end were short, Brewster had a long shot, but Wharrier smartly saved.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th December 1916

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Calder, Perry, Brewster, Robertson, McKay, Paton, Ambler, Cail, Wylie.

Unused Subs:


Third Lanark Teamsheet:  Wharrier; McCormack, Mackie; Walker, Maclaughlan, Thomson; Passet, Weir, McLean (Sheffield Wednesday), Wilkie, Sutherland


Referee: Mr. A. Edwards, Glasgow

Related Links: