Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Albion Rovers

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Albion Rovers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Robertson, Robertson.

16/08/1919 | KO:

Aberdeen Begin Well

Albion Rovers, the newcomers to the First Division of the Scottish League, played Aberdeen at Aberdeen before 10,000 spectators. The game was strenuously contested throughout, and Aberdeen were worthy winners. In the first half the home team were handicapped through injuries to Cail, Hutton, and C.G. Watson, but the soundness of the defence easily held the Rovers at bay. Robertson opened the scoring for Aberdeen with a hard drive from thirty yards, the Rovers' custodian handling but failing to stop the ball. A misunderstanding by the visitors' defence allowed Robertson to score a second point for Aberdeen. In the second half, Aberdeen were without Cail for the first half hour, but they continued to have the better of matters, and the visiting backs and goalkeeper were kept busy. The feature of the match was the play of the Aberdeen half-backs, who dominated the game. Best for Aberdeen were Hume, Wright, Brewster, McLaughlin, Hutton, and Robertson; and for the Rovers, Penman, Ford, Wallace, Ribchester, and R. M. Young.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th August 1919

Aberdeen marked their return to the Scottish League by inflicting a 2-0 defeat upon the recently promoted Albion Rovers at Pittodrie. There was an attendance of 9000, and the fact showed that the Aberdeen public at least, are resigned to the increased charge for admission to League games.
While the play could not be described as brilliant, the game if quiet the times, was interesting throughout, and there was no lack of incident, and just enough of the exciting element which makes football the attraction it is for the public. The strenuousness of the play lent itself to hard knocks, and considering that for the greater period of the game Aberdeen were handicapped by injuries to players, it was distinctly creditable under the circumstances when they emerged victorious.
In the first half there were frequent stoppages for injuries, and Cail, Hutton, and C. G. Watson were all in the wars. Hutton and Watson recovered, but Cail, although he pluckily remained on duty, had eventually to be assisted off after the interval. These circumstances all tended to upset the home side, and it was a tribute to their ability and pluck that they opened the season so auspiciously. The deciding factor in the game was the fine work of the Aberdeen half-backs. They played a hard smashing game, and upon them the disjointed Rovers' forwards could make no impression. The tackled finely throughout, and the restless activity never allowed the Rovers to get settled down. Robertson opened the scoring for Aberdeen from a drive from outside the penalty area. The Rovers' goalkeeper was stopped the shot, but could only deflected into the net. Subsequent play took the form of a duel between the home attack and the visitors' defence, confined mostly to the Rovers' territory, and stoppages were frequent owing to injuries to players.
Robertson got a second goal for Aberdeen under unusual circumstances. Cail had been laid out, and Robertson getting possession plunged ahead for goal. The Rovers' defence, apparently under the impression that play would be stopped, hesitated to tackle him until it was too late, and the insight left, although harassed by two opponents, put the ball into the corner of the net, the Rovers' goalkeeper making no attempt to save. Following upon the second reverse the visitors applied severe pressure on the home goal, which for a brief spell was seriously threatened, Hume and Hannah blocking opponents when a score seemed imminent. Well plied by the home half-backs, the Aberdeen forwards, and especially Hutton and Robertson, headed several incursions into the visitors' goal, and it was only the sterling defence of Penman and Ford and kept them from increasing their lead. At the home end Anderson saved well from Ribchester, and the rovers forced a series of corners, upon which they failed to improve.

Rovers Reorganise

In the second half both teams were rearranged. Owing to his injury Cail changed places with C. G. Watson on the Aberdeen side, and in the Albion Rovers team Duncan went centre forward, and Noble fell back to right half, Wilson taking the central position in the line. The changes on the visiting side did not make for improvement, and although their forwards repeatedly threatened their efforts were disjointed, and the activity of the home half-backs kept them beyond shooting range. The Aberdeen forwards were often dangerous. In an effort to reach the ball from the left, Cail further injured himself, and had to retire for the remainder of the game. Hutton and Robertson had many promising moves for Aberdeen, who were repeatedly dangerous, and McLaughlin sent in a terrific drive which Roney just managed to push over the bar for a corner. In the closing stages the Aberdeen left wing developed some clever passing, and the game ended with Aberdeen worthy winners. Best for Aberdeen were Hume, Wright, Brewster, McLauchlan, Hutton, and Robertson, and outstanding for Albion rovers were Penman, Ford, Wallace, Ribchester, and Young.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 18th August 1919

Albion Rovers Teamsheet
Roney; Penman, Ford; Wilson, Duncan, Wallace; Ribchester, Hillhouse, Noble, Gray, Young
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Lorimer, Edinburgh
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead