Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Third Lanark 3 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Third Lanark 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Third Lanark scorers: F. Walker, F. Walker, F. Walker
Aberdeen scorers: Connon.

30/08/1920 | KO:

At Cathkin Park, before 7000 spectators. Play in the first half was fairly even, although the home team were, if anything, smarter in front of goal. F. Walker opened the scoring, and shortly afterwards put Third Lanark two ahead. In the second half an overhead kick from Cullen which appeared to be going past enabled F. Walker to nip in and score the home team's third goal. Shortly after Connon scored for the visitors after some smart work on their right wing.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st August 1920

Aberdeen opposed Third Lanark at Glasgow last night under Scottish League auspices. The weather was delightful, and there were 7000 spectators. Both teams showed changes, and the following lined up:? Aberdeen: Anderson; Hannah and Forsyth.; Wright, Milne, and Middleton, Thomson, Cannon, Wilson, and Ritchie. Third Lanark: Brownlie; McCourt and Orr; J. Walker, Thomson, and McAndrew; Campbell, Binnie, Cullen, F. Walker, and Flanaghan. Referee: J. Martin, Clydebank.

The Thirds started in great style, and in the first minute Anderson had a full-length save from F. Walker. Fine work by Thomson put Aberdeen on the attack, and Ritchie crashed the ball against the side net. Play was very fast, and there were pretty movements bath sides. Anderson saved finely from Isaac Walker, and later kicked clear from Flanaghan, from whom he saved a grounder.
Aberdeen forwards moved quickly, and Thomson had just massed with a great shot from y20 ards. Play ranged from end to end, and once, when Cullen was through, Anderson and rushed out and picked from his foot. After Middleton and Thomson had shot wide, F. Walker gave Third Lanark the lead with a terrific first-time shot from 20 yards. At the end of 20 minutes retaliated, and Connon forced Brownlie to concede a corner, a performance which he repeated next minute.
Brownlie had a brilliant save from Robertson and about this time Aberdeen looked like equalising. In a breakaway by Third Lanark, Hannah missed his kick, and F. Walker put the home team two up with an oblique grounder.

Aberdeen Improve.

Aberdeen were confined to the defence for the time, and Anderson had many difficult shots to deal with. After the period during which they were confined to the defence, Aberdeen came away strongly, and after pretty work by Middleton, Thomson hit the upright and from a corner headed narrowly past. F. Walker, from close range, lost a chance, for the Thirds, and subsequently Anderson saved brilliantly from Flanagan and Cullen.
Aberdeen showed an improvement, and Thomson brought Brownlie to his the knees, while later the internationalist had a brilliant one-handed save from Wright. Ritchie hit the upright after a clever run. Aberdeen had much better of the exchanges in the closing stages of the opening period. Thirds owed the interval lead of 2-0 solely to opportunism of F.. Waflier.

In the second half Aberdeen started strongly and forced a fruitless corner. A great cross by Middleton was not improved upon. Play continued keen, but rugged, with Aberdeen having the best of matters. Several corners came their way, but they could not beat the robust defence, in which McCourt was outstanding.
Continued pressure brought no results for Aberdeen, but Brownlie had to exert himself to save a free kick by Wright. Anderson, after stopping a shot by Flanaghan, was just able to deflect Cullen's and headed out from beneath the bar.
The Thirds attacked less frequently, but were always more dangerous. From one of several corners that fell to Aberdeen Robertson lifted over the top of Brownie?s crossbar.

Fruitless Efforts.

Try as they might. Aberdeen not get a goal. Connon beat Orr cleverly on one occasion to shoot wildly.
After being the defensive for the greater period, Thirds broke away, and F. Walker following up a high forward pass, tipped neatly into the net to register the hat trick. Aberdeen almost immediately came near further disaster. A shot from Bennie was blocked below the bar by Forsyth, and later Anderson at full length saved from Bennie. Aberdeen came again, and after Brownlie had been busy Middleton crossed finely for Connon to score for Aberdeen.
The Pittodrie men continued to attack, and Wilson sent wide from a good position. The closing stages favoured Aberdeen, but the Thirds' defence held out. The best for Aberdeen were Anderson, Forsyth, Milne, Middleton, and Thomson. For Thirds Brownlie, McCourt, McAndrew, F. Walker, and Flanaghan.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 31st August 1920

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Cathkin Park, Glasgow
Referee: J. Martin, Clydebank
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen