Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Albion Rovers 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Fisher 20, Rankin 25.

04/09/1920 | KO:

A crowd 7000 strong watched a stirring game at Coatbridge, as a result of which the Albion Rovers suffered yet another defeat, Aberdeen being the winners. At the outset the Rovers were over the visitors, and ill-luck prevented them scoring on three distinct occasions - twice when Anderson was out of his goal, and once when John White was clean through with only the goalkeeper to beat. Slowly, but surely, Aberdeen got a grip of the game, and Fisher and Rankin scored good goals in quick succession. Latterly their defence lines, with Milne and Hannah outstanding, had the Rovers beaten. There were lots of dash about the Rovers' forwards, but they lacked experience, and did not get much assistance from their moderate middle line. The Aberdeen defence was excellent all round, especially that of the halves, and the forwards were enterprising and indulged in wide passing.

Source: The Scotsman, 6th September 1920

Aberdeen registered their first League victory if the season at Coatbridge, where they deservedly gained the verdict over Albion Rovers by 2 goals to 0. There were 8000 spectators, and these saw a clean, sporting, and hotly-contested game. A gale of wind was a disturbing factor, and greatly interfered witch the accuracy of the play besides adding to the difficulties of the defences. Aberdeen won the toss, and played with wind and sun behind them. The opening stages greatly favoured the Rovers, who started with a cleverness and dash that would not be denied. Bennett, the Scottish internationalist, accounted for grand leading-up work, and the manner in which he spoon-fed the Rovers centre-forward and left-winger was brilliant. Anderson, the Aberdeen goalkeeper, had repeatedly to leave his charge to clear, and in the period the visitors were fortunate to have their goal intact. After fifteen minutes the game underwent a change in favour of Aberdeen. The half-backs got a grip of the opposing attack, and sparkling work by both the Aberdeen wings had the Rovers' defence difficulties. After twenty minutes Fisher from well out on the left drove hard for goal, and although the Rovers' keeper stopped the shot, he was unable to retain the ball, which he allowed to roll over the line. Aberdeen attacked persistently after this, and the Rovers' goal had several narrow escapes. A free kick by Hannah was saved, and then Rankine, accepting a pass from the right, crashed the ball past Kerr for a second goal, at the end of twenty-five minutes' play. At the other end Anderson saved from a host of opponents, and on another occasion, ran out and kicked clear from James White, who had got through the defence. In the later period of the half Aberdeen looked like increasing their lead, Rankine having a great shot pushed round the post by Kerr for a corner, and later had another shot knocked down by the keeper. At the interval Aberdeen deserved their lead.

Defenders Excel.

In a goal-less second half, and against wind ad sun, Aberdeen crowded all their energies on defence and were drawn back to assist the half-backs, and, as events proved, the strategy was justified. In the period the Rovers attacked persistently, but Aberdeen packed their goal, and, covering each other splendidly, never allowed the eager Rovers time to settle for shooting. All the same, the Pittodrie goal had several narrow escapes. On one occasion Anderson was Just able to divert a great shot by Duncan, and at another Forsyth's boot deflected a ball from James White when the Rovers' centre had shot from only a few yards out. Fisher, Middleton, and Yule never lost opportunities to bring relief, and twice they had the Rovers' goal in danger. Fisher was clean through on one occasion, but harassed by a defender he just missed the goal with the keeper out of his charge, and later Thomson had a shot which was only inches high. A dour struggle continued to the end between the Rovers' attack and the Aberdeen defence, but the defenders prevailed for their side to gain a notable victory. Milne, the Aberdeen centre half, was the outstanding player on the field. He gave a magnificent display in the second period, and although fairly supported by his colleagues, his play was the real deciding factor in the game. Apart from Milne, Aberdeen were finely served by Anderson, Forsyth, Wright, Rankine, and Yule, and Rovers best were McSkimming, Ford, and Bennett.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 9th September 1920

Albion Rovers Teamsheet
Kerr; McColgan, McSkimming; Greenshields, Duncan, Ford; Ribchester, James White, Bennett, Hillhouse
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Cliftonhill, Coatbridge
Referee: Mr. McMullan, Hamilton
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride