Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Clyde

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Rankin, Fisher, Thomson.

08/09/1920 | KO:


At Aberdeen before 15,000 spectators. Rankine scored for Aberdeen in the opening minutes. Aberdeen were rampant in the second half. Fisher and Thomson added further goals, Clyde being outplayed.

Source: The Scotsman, 9th September 1920

There were 15,000 spectators at Pittodrie last light when Aberdeen showed their best form of the season, and registered a brilliant Scottish League victory over Clyde by 3 goals to 0.

The game was only five minutes old when, Rankine, with a fine effort, got his foot on a pass ahead from Thomson and glanced the ball into the net with his left foot. It was a very fine effort which met with deserved applause. Clyde were dangerous after this, and after Quinn had dribbled the defence, Anderson picked from his feet. Subsequently neither side claimed much advantage. Fleming forced a corner off Forsyth, but this was easily cleared. A fine cross by Fleming was cleared opportunely by Milne. Middleton, nicely let away by Wright, got over a centre from which Fisher headed over. There was considerable midfield play, and Robertson tested Shingleton with a long-range effort. Rankine just failed to improve upon a pass from the right, and both sets of defenders were seen to advantage. A long shot by Robertson wan only saved by Shingleton at full stretch, and Aberdeen had fully the better of matters. A return by Hannah rebounded from an opponent, and the Clyde left threatened danger until Wright brought them up. Subsequently the Clyde attack came more into view, and Forsyth, after missing his kick, recovered quickly, while later Anderson knocked down a ball from Fleming for Wright to bring relief. Aberdeen returned to the attack, and Shingleton fielded a great centre from Middleton. Most danger from the visitors came from their right wing, and Anderson had again to clear from Fleming, and later Marshall shot against the side net. On one occasion Fisher was going through for Aberdeen when he was felled in the penalty area, but the referee did not allow the Aberdeen claim for a spot kick. Clever work saw Quinn threaten danger to the home goal, but the centre-forward shot against the side net. There was more attacking by Aberdeen, and from a free kick at long range, Wright brought Shingleton to his knees. Later the keeper finely saved a similar effort from Hannah, and Thomson had a hard drive blocked by Farnell. Aberdeen were the better side, although their forwards were not dangerous at close quarters. A high kick by Forsyth under pressure brought Anderson out to fist clear. Following upon a free kick against Milne, Thompson, who was obviously offside when he got possession, allowed Quinn, with the assistance of his hand, to put the ball past Anderson, but the referee, having noted the infringement, disallowed the goal, and the interval arrived with Aberdeen holding a merited advantage by the only goal.

Rapid Scoring.

Aberdeen were early among the flag-kicks on the resumption, and from the second of these, Wright had a shot blocked in the goalmouth before Thomson sent behind. After a cross by Ritchie, Middleton, cutting in, had his shot blocked by a defender who accidentally handled in clearing. A bout of passing between Fisher and Thomson saw the latter given offside when well placed. The exchanges continued in favour of Aberdeen, and after a corner had been cleared at Anderson's end, Robertson followed up a similar incident by shooting high. A determined rally by Clyde saw the Aberdeen goal in danger, and after Milne had missed his kick, Allan hit the crossbar. The escape spurred on Aberdeen, and after clever work by Ritchie, the visitors' goal was again in danger. The winger was fouled, and from Robertson?s free-kick Fisher headed cleverly into the net. Aberdeen were rampant after this, and a brilliant passing bout between Fisher and Thomson saw Thomson crash through a third goal before a minute had elapsed. The quick scoring aroused bursts of enthusiastic cheering from the crowd. The Aberdeen forwards were brilliant after this, and Shingleton was the busiest player on the field, Middleton and Ritchie crossing and recrossing the ball in front of the Clyde goal. Shingleton knocked down a great cross along the goal line from Middleton. The visitors? attack was held by the Aberdeen defence after this, but an injury to Forsyth, who carried on although limping badly, rather weakened the rear division of the home team. Five minutes from the end Fisher had a great shot for goal, which Shingleton stopped but failed to hold and the ball crossed the line, struck the side net, and rebounded into play. To the amazement of all, the referee disallowed the claim for goal that followed. Aberdeen monopolised the game to the end, Fisher just missing with a fine head effort before the whistle went.

Aberdeen were strong all departments. Anderson, Forsyth, Wright, and Milne in defence, and Middleton, Fisher and Ritchie were the best of a clever forward line, which struck its form in the second half. Clyde were best served by Shingleton, Farnell, and Rae in defence, and the best of a moderate set of forwards were Fleming and Quinn.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 9th September 1920

Clyde Teamsheet
Shingleton; Cowan, Farnell; Rae, Forrest, Chambers; Fleming, Marshall, Quinn, Allan, Thompson
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. S. Sinclair, Thornliebank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride