Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 St. Mirren

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Rankin, Flanaghan, Rankin.
St. Mirren scorers: Love

20/11/1920 | KO: 14:30

Points for Aberdeen

Aberdeen were full value for their victory over St Mirren at Pittodrie Park, before 14,000 spectators. At the end of the first half the home team were fortunate to be ahead by the only goal secured by Rankine, who proved a vigorous pivot to a forward line in which there was considerable dash, but there was no disputing their marked superiority in the second period. Despite having to play without Hutton, their right back, who was injured and off during the last half-hour, Aberdeen added another two goals, from Rankine and Flanaghan respectively. St Mirren were plucky, and were able to reduce the leeway through a goal by Love, but they never looked like getting on equal terms.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd November 1920

Aberdeen had a good bit in hand at Pittodrie, where they defeated St Mirren by 3 goals to 1. Changes in the home team, and especially the attack, made for improvement, and the formation tried on this occasion gave the impression that with further association they will develop into the effective and combining force which the management have been striving after for some time. In the first half Aberdeen were only slightly the superior side, but there was no mistaking their ascendancy in the earlier period of the second half, when they outplayed and overwhelmed the Paisley team, and their convincing win was the more meritorious in that for the closing twenty minutes they were deprived, through injury, of the services of Hutton, the right back. Both goals enjoyed some luck in the first half, when the keepers were kept busy, and some good efforts at shooting were countered by clever custodianship. A headed effort by Connon beat O'Hagan, but bounced against the crossbar, and Anderson's goal had a slice of similar good luck when Love rattled the cross bar from close range, and later when lying on the ground Anderson was fortunate to stop a ball from Stewart, who drove hard from close range. The only goal in the opening period was secured by Rankine, who at the second attempt headed past O'Hagan after the custodian had failed to get away a high ball from Middleton. St. Mirren attacked quite as often as the home team, but although centre-half Pringle had two or three good tries, finishing was weak, and invariably shots were directed from beyond likely scoring range.

Visitors Well Beaten.

Aberdeen were handicapped resuming by the temporary absence of Hutton and by an injury to Grosert, but they early found their feet, and before their onslaughts the visitors' defence tottered and fell. O'Hagan stopped a bard shot from Thomson, and this heralded a succession of exciting incidents in front the Paisley goal. Aberdeen attacked persistently, and O'Hagan's goal experienced wonderful immunity from downfall. Try as they might, the visitors' defence could not get the ball away, and at one stage a succession of five flag kicks fell to Aberdeen. On one occasion Rankine, from inside the area, spooned the ball against the crossbar. A well-deserved goal, however, fell to Aberdeen at the end of nine minutes. Flanaghan got over a high ball, which O'Hagan almost missed. The keeper left his goal to recover, but was harassed by Connon, and while in the act of bouncing the ball preparatory to clearing, lost possession, and Rankine crashed the ball to the back an empty goal. The Aberdeen attack continued to bewilder the visitors' defence, and after clever following up Connon got over a square, which Rankine missed, but Flanaghan, lying handy, drove the ball with terrific force to the back of the net. For a time the Aberdeen attack was rampant, and after brilliant work by the wingers the Paisley goal had many narrow escapes. The visitors came again, and Hutton's weakness, consequent upon his injury, allowed their left wing to get up, and Love beat Anderson in simple fashion. Shortly after this Hutton retired for the remainder of the game, and Aberdeen were slightly disorganised in consequence, Connon and Thomson falling back to assist the defence. Several dangerous tries came to Anderson, but the keeper dealt confidently with all that came his way. In the closing stages the exchanges were fairly even, but Aberdeen always held the whip hand, and in the end were left comfortable and deserving winners. Attendance 14,000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 22nd November 1920

St. Mirren Teamsheet
O'Hagan; Lavery,Reid: Leslie, Pringle, Duff; Lawson, Stewart, Love, Barr, Thomson
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Binnie, Falkirk
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride