Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dumbarton 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dumbarton 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Middleton.

27/11/1920 | KO:

Points for Aberdeen.

Miserable weather conditions prevented a good game at Dumbarton, where Aberdeen secured the points from the home team. Dumbarton had a rearranged team, and played a new man at right half-back in Cutterill (Chesterton.) There was no scoring in the first half. Aberdeen played a more open game in the second period, and Middleton scored with a shot from well out. Near the end McDermid, of Dumbarton, sustained serious injury, and was carried to the pavilion. There was an attendance of about 2000.

Source: The Scotsman, 29th November 1920

Maintaining their recent improvement, Aberdeen gained a well-deserved victory at Dumbarton, where the only goal scored by Middleton gave them the verdict in a gruelling game played under wretched atmospheric conditions. There had been a heavy downpour during the forenoon, and when the teams took the field Jupiter Pluvius reigned supreme, and in addition to a driving wind, the underfoot conditions were atrocious, the pitch in parts being flooded with pools dotted about. In the circumstances it was small wonder that the football did not, touch a high standard and with the footing as difficult to maintain as the ball was to control the game revolved itself into a tussle for the survival of the fittest. The game was certainly a test of physical endurance as of playing ability, and while Aberdeen revealed a superiority in the latter element, it was really their adaptability to the conditions and their superior staying power that enabled them, by a narrow margin certainly, but none the less deservedly, to avenge 4-0 defeat sustained on the team's last visit to the ground in season 1919-20.

Narrow Escapes.

Under such conditions it would be out of the question to enter into a detailed appreciation or criticism of the work of the players, suffice it to say that it was no place for weaklings, and Aberdeen carried none. Aberdeen teams have invariably been partial to heavy grounds, and Boghead supplied further confirmation of the fact. Two determined sides had a desperate struggle. In the opening minutes a cross by McDiarmid had the Aberdeen goal danger, but Milne came to the rescue, and later Anderson saved well from Walker, while McDiarmid and Fraser headed past. When Aberdeen did get going they took a grip which they never relaxed, and although their goal was occasionally in danger, the escapes were as nothing in proportion to the lets-off which the home citadel experienced. For Aberdeen, Rankine and Flanaghan both missed by the narrowest margins, and then Dumbarton were deprived the services of Till, their left-back, for about ten minutes. During his absence Aberdeen continuously attacked, and were repeatedly unfortunate in failing to find the net. Connon had a brilliant, run and shot, but Millar saved the effort by pushing round the post. Flanaghan, Thomson, and Rankine all had good efforts, and Milne and McCombie also tried their luck at shooting, but the eccentricities of the ball and the ground conditions interfered with direction. On the run the first half, Aberdeen were unfortunate not to have been on the lead, and a goal-less draw at the interval flattered Dumbarton.

Middleton's First Goal.

Dumbarton began the second half in promising style, and after Anderson had saved from Walker, McDiarmid nearly found the net with a fast ball that ran across the goal. After twelve minutes Aberdeen took the lead, Rankine, who played well throughout, gained possession in his own half of the field, and after beating Brown, sent forward a long oblique ball to the right. Middleton eluded Cotterill and raced ahead, and although harassed by both the home backs, drove hard from twenty yards' range, the ball flashing into the net at a terrific speed, and completely beating Millar, who had left his goal to intercept. This was Middleton?s first goal for Aberdeen, and it was the outcome of a brilliant piece of work, which brought out spontaneous applause from the bedraggled spectators. Aberdeen came near immediately to increasing their lead. A similar effort by Middleton found the crossbar, and from the rebound Thomson sent narrowly past. Subsequently Aberdeen had slightly the better of the exchanges, and Thomson, Rankine, Connon and MacLachlan all had tries. Towards the close, Dumbarton strove desperately for the equaliser, but they found the northern defence as hard to pierce as the historic rock on which the local castle stands. In the closing minutes McDiarmid, the Dumbarton outside left, was hurt in collision with Hutton, and had to be carried off. The game finished in semi-darkness with Aberdeen worthy winners.

Unruly Spectators.

Following upon the incident in which McDiarmid was injured, a section crowd invaded the field of play, and surged round the players, but when the referee re-started the game the intruders quickly cleared off. At the close, the dissatisfied elements gathered near the pavilion, and the referee was accosted by a spectator. This was the signal for a rush on the part of the crowd, and the paling guarding the pavilion was broken down. The police were immediately on the scene, however, and the grounds were cleared without further untoward incident.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 29th November 1920

Dumbarton Teamsheet
Miller; Somerville, Till; Scott, Brown, Cotterill (Chesterton); Browning, McTavish, Walker, Fraser, McDiarmid
Attendance: 2,500
Venue: Boghead Park, Dumbarton
Referee: J. B, Stevenson, Motherwell
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries