Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Clydebank

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Clydebank

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Flanaghan, Milne, Middleton, Flanaghan.

22/01/1921 | KO: 14:45

Four for Aberdeen.

Clydebank's visit to the North was most unfortunate for them, for not only were they beaten by the Aberdeen team, but comparatively early in the match they lost the services of Morton, their goalkeeper, who sustained a fracture of the collar bone, after colliding with Fisher, the Pittodrie Park centre-forward. Morton's absence disorganised the visitors, who, subsequently, were always defending. It was only indifferent finishing that prevented Aberdeen taking the lead till close on the interval, when Flanaghan scored with a short, swift shot. In the second half play was one-sided, and for Aberdeen goals were scored by Flanaghan, Milne, and Middleton. In the whole of the second period, Clydebank only forced one by-kick, which gives an indication of the run of play. The best for Aberdeen were Hutton, Milne, MacLachlan, Middleton, and Flanaghan, and for Clydebank, Ferguson and Marchbank.

Source: The Scotsman, 24th January 1921

There probably never was a more one-sided League match at Pittodrie than that of Saturday, when Aberdeen defeated Clydebank by 4 goals to 0. The score, though decisive, does not nearly represent the actual superiority of the home team, for had the margin of victory been doubled it would have been accordance with the actual run of the play in a game which much below the average for quality. For the Clydebank it can be said there were extenuating circumstances. The Yoker team had the misfortune to their goalkeeper, Morton, after an hour's play, with a dislocated shoulder, and they became disorganised. But, it cannot be said that even when they were at full strength they made anything like a promising show. Previous to Morton's mishap Aberdeen, playing against the wind, had much the better of the exchanges, and had they been able to cap their at times clever midfield work by more shooting and less pattern-weaving they must have held a lead before that time, After the retiral of Morton, Harvie, the rights half, went into goal, but Aberdeen's superiority, apparent from the first, became much more pronounced. Their efforts at finishing, however, were feeble in the extreme, for while their shooting was misdirected and badly timed, the opportunities that were allowed to pass without being attempted led to many derisive remarks from the spectators. On this occasion Aberdeen owed their victory less to their own brilliance than to the moderate state of the opposition, for even when at full stretch, and with the wind in their favour, Clydebank put up but a poor display.
The wind had a disturbing influence on the game, and largely accounted for some of the freak football shown. Showing a tendency that way before, the game became farcical in the second half, when Aberdeen with the wind behind them seldom allowed the visitors to cross the midfield line. In the period, Anderson only touched the ball three times, twice passes back by colleagues, and once at a goal kick, after MacLachlan in attempting to head back to Anderson, had conceded a corner.

Goals and Scorers.

Although Hutton had found the crossbar with a terrific free kick, it was principally weak finishing by the Aberdeen forwards that delayed the opening of the scoring until close to the interval. Thomson, after clever leading up, slung the ball well over the left, and Flanaghan running in and getting possession behind the, backs, netted from close range, Harvie touching, but failing to stop the shot. The second half was five minutes old when Flanaghan accepted a high ball from the right to score with a ball that found the net off the crossbar. After many opportunities had been lost Milne headed through a third, following upon a corner, and later Fisher had a fine shot stopped on the goal line, but Middleton running in fastened on to notch the fourth goal for Aberdeen. The attendance was 11,000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 24th January 1921

Clydebank Teamsheet
Morton; Craig, Ferguson; Harvie, Marchbank, Williamson, McIntosh, Cairney, Shaw, Paton, Cameron
Attendance: 10,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Bell, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride