Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 3 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Celtic scorers: McInally, McStay (pen), McLean
Aberdeen scorers: Fisher.

29/01/1921 | KO:

Celtic, without McNair, Gilchrist, and Cringan, were too good for Aberdeen, and won more easily than the score suggests. Playing with a strong wind in the first half, the Celtic were never far away from Anderson, but it was thirty-five minutes from the start before McInally succeeded in getting the ball past Anderson. Just before the interval McStay scored a second goal from a penalty kick. In the second half the Celtic more than held their own. The Aberdeen forwards made a poor show, and were well held by the Celtic half-backs. McLean scored the Celtic's third goal, and four minutes from the finish Fisher scored Aberdeen's only goal. Attendance, 14,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st January 1921

Aberdeen put up a creditable defensive fight at Parkhead, where 15,000 saw Celtic beat them by 3 goals 1. The score was a fair criterion of the run of the play. At goal and back Aberdeen compared very favourably with the winners, but there was an absence of combination and lack understanding between the half-backs and forwards, which did not contrast too well with the deftness and conception shown by the middle and front divisions of the Parkhead team.

Two Penalty Kicks.

Aberdeen were at a disadvantage with the wind in the first half and went off with a burst, Shaw having to handle from Middleton. The visitors' early promise was soon dispelled, and Celtic, making the running, kept the defence busy. Gallacher, McInally, and McLean were full of tricks, but at this stage they overdid the fancy element to the exclusion of strong finishing, and against a defence that gave nothing away were kept outwith shooting range. McInally had soma characteristic dashes through the centre, and Anderson cleared a long drive with ease. Having established touch with the goalkeeper, Celtic maintained severe pressure, and, although McInally and Cassidy lost favourable chances, Anderson had several brilliant saves, notably from McInally, Cassidy, McMaster, and McLean. Aberdeen were only occasionally dangerous, but the forwards were unable to keep the ball, and centres or passes invariably went to the feet of opponents. Twice when well placed Flanaghan sent high over the bar, and on another occasion Fisher failed to gather. With time wearing on and the sheet blank, Celtic infused more dash and vigour into their work. Anderson saved finely from McInally, and then after clever work by the Celtic left wing Anderson saved finely from McLean, and in the ensuing scrimmage Milne handled and McInally netted. The goal was disallowed and a penalty awarded, for Cassidy to shoot tamely past. Alter that the game continued a duel between the Aberdeen defence and the Celtic attack, and after 35 minutes Gallacher slipped the ball over to allow McInally to score with a great shot, which found the net off the underside of the crossbar. Anderson saved finely from McLean, and Celtic dominated the game. Close on the interval McStey increased the Celtic lead from a penalty given against Hannah, and Aberdeen were two goals in arrears the interval.

A Goal for Fisher.

With the wind slightly in their favour Aberdeen showed great determination on resuming, and early on Flanaghan had a great shot which Shaw was just able to tip over the bar. The Aberdeen attack after that, however, became spasmodic, with the result that the Celtic defence had an easy task. Little or no combination was shown by the Pittodrie team, and of the forwards Flanaghan alone seemed to meet with any success. Celtic again took up the attacking, and Anderson had a fine full-length save from McLean, and Cassidy and McInally both lost chances. In another Aberdeen attack Rankine had a great shot which hit the crossbar, and on another occasion Shaw ran out and kicked clear from Thomson, who was through the defence, a performance which Anderson repeated against Cassidy at the other end. There was less fancy work by the Celtic in this half, and the play was marked by much keenness. After several misdirected attempts by the Celtic forwards, McLean worked through to put on a third goal for Celtic, Anderson having no chance to save. There were stoppages for injuries to Hutton and MacLachlan. Towards the end Aberdeen came away strongly, and Shaw had a masterly save from Rankine. Just on the close, following a mix-up in the Celtic defence, Fisher found the corner of the net with a soft shot? a goal that was well deserved on play.

Anderson Shines.

On the Aberdeen side, Anderson performed brilliantly in goal and at back, and got through a tremendous amount of work, Hannah being more conspicuous. MacLachlan was the best of the half-backs, and of the forwards Flanaghan alone took the eye. On the Celtic side, Shaw had one or two fine saves. Livingstone and McStey were sound and Murphy and Macfarlane were brilliant in the half-back line. Of the forwards, Gallagher, McInally, and McLean were best.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 31st January 1921

Celtic Teamsheet
Shaw; Livingstone, McStey; Macfarlane, Murphy, McMaster; McAtee, Gallacher, McInally, Cassidy, McLean
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: A. A. Jackson, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride