Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 2 - 3 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Hibernian scorers: Dunn 4, Anderson 53
Aberdeen scorers: McGinnigle (OG) 25, Mackie 44, Middleton 59.

05/03/1921 | KO:


It was only for about twenty-five minutes of the second half at Easter Road, Edinburgh, that Aberdeen were, on play, the equals of the Hibernians. During the remainder of the time they had to act mainly on the defensive against an eager and clever line, of whom Dunn and Halligan were the outstanding personalities. These two in particular were very difficult to hold, and in only giving away a couple of goals, one of which was scored by Dunn five minutes from the start, and the other by Anderson directly after the interval, the Aberdeen goalkeeper and backs deserve a great deal of credit. The Hibernians were unfortunate in that McGinnigle, in attempting to clear a ball from Connon, turned it into the net, and just on the interval Aberdeen broke away, and Mackie scored from a corner. Aberdeen's play, following Anderson's goal, enabled them to take the lead again, when Middleton scored with a lovely shot, and, for a time, it looked as if they would justify their position. They failed to maintain their form, but kept their lead of three goals to two, and emerged victors from a game they should have lost. The attendance would be between 6000 and 7000.

Source: The Scotsman, 7th March 1921

In a Scottish League game, which at times resembled a cup-tie, Aberdeen defeated Hibernian at Easter Road, Edinburgh by 3 goals to 2. Owing to inclement weather there was only an attendance of 6000, but these found plenty of interest in the game. It was from start to finish a most strenuous affair, and considering the sodden ground and the heavy bail, the pace was extremely fast throughout. There was no lack of pretty movements, and the standard of play on both sides was much above the average. Aberdeen worked hard for their win - their third on the ground, and if, taking the run of the game, a draw would have done full justice to them, the value of their performance on that account should be underestimated. After losing an early goal, which might well have knocked the stuffing out of them, the Aberdeen players showed great determination and skill, which had a fitting reward when the equaliser came along. Then they took the lead, only hold it for a short time, when the home team again got level, but when a third goal came to their lot after desperate pressure, they defended with a will that would not be denied, and in the end few could grudge them their hard-earned victory. The opening goal came in four minutes, when Dunn headed past the Aberdeen goalkeeper while the latter was latter was harassed by the centre forward. Then Mackie, who made a successful debut at centre forward for Aberdeen, hit the upright, and later just missed with a clever shot after outpacing the backs. Flanaghan sent wide of an empty goal after Harper had run far out to clear, and Anderson dealt with some good tries at the other end. After 25 minutes Aberdeen equalised. Connon shot hard, and McGinnigle, the Hibernian right back, in attempting to clear, put through his own goal. A ding-dong struggle followed until a minute from interval, when Aberdeen took the lead, Mackie heading through from a corner kick by Middleton.

Strenuous Play.

Play was desperately keen in the second half. Aberdeen made as if they would increase their lead, Mackie, Connon and Middleton having brilliant drives which Harper cleared with difficulty. After eight minutes, Hannigan, on the Hibs? left, broke away, and after clever play sent over a lovely cross, which wan improved upon by Anderson, centre-forward, who forced bail over the Aberdeen line in a scrimmage. Aberdeen returned to the attack, and six minutes later Middleton found the net with brilliant left-foot drive from 20 yards? range. Subsequent to this Hibernian made determined efforts to get level, but Anderson and his colleagues successfully withstood their attacks, the goalkeeper saving finely from Hannigan, Paterson, Walker, Anderson and Shaw. Aberdeen frequently threatened danger, but in the closing stages the bulk of the play was in the vicinity of Anderson.
Outstanding for Aberdeen were Anderson, Hutton, Wright, Connon, and Middleton, and for Hibernian Dornan, Shaw, Dunn, Walker, and Hannigan.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 7th March 1921

Hibernian Teamsheet
Harper; McGinnigle Dornan; Cannon, Paterson, Shaw; Walker, Dunn, Anderson, Halligan, Hannigan
Attendance: 6,500
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: Mr. Morton, Clydebank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride