Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Airdrie 5 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Airdrie 2 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Airdrie scorers: Henderson 15, Henderson 45, Henderson 70, Henderson 80, Dickson 88
Aberdeen scorers: Mackie 5, Connon 35.

09/03/1921 | KO:


Only about 3000 visited the Airdrie ground yesterday for the return League game with Aberdeen. The result was a decisive win for the Airdrieonians by 5 goals to 2, but, taking the game all through, the Northern pack was not so far behind as the score might suggest. In the first half Mackie opened the scoring and Connon had Aberdeen's second goal. Following each of those Henderson found the net, and the result of even play was a level score at the interval. For a period on resuming Aberdeen pressed hard, Fotheringham being repeatedly called upon to save his goal. Latterly, Airdrie's attack became very keen, and after Henderson had scored his third and fourth, Dickson completed the nap hand.

Source: The Scotsman, 10th March 1921


The Aberdeen team sustained a crushing defeat at Airdrie yesterday, when, in their return Scottish League fixture, Airdrieonians beat them by 5 goals to 2. Inclement weather affected the attendance, which numbered only 3000. Even allowing that the score flattered the winners, Aberdeen were well beaten. After victory over the Hibernians at Edinburgh on Saturday, better things were expected of the Pittodrie team on this occasion, but all they succeeded in doing was to add still one more to the formidable list of failures that stands to their credit this season. At one period it looked as if Aberdeen had the game well won. Playing against a wind in the opening half, they scored first; then a soft equaliser was conceded. Again they got on the lead, only to lose it before the interval through a defender's mistake. They were never the same afterwards, and lacked steadying power in attack and defence alike. Henderson, the centre forward, made merry with the rear and to his credit stood the feat of scoring four goals in a league match.
The team at times played as good football as they have shown this season, yet they lacked a punch when it came to shooting, even if Mackie had some good tries, but the defence, for once in a time, proved unequal to the occasion. There was an absence of balance in the team, and while the Airdrie defence was no improvement on the moderate lot Aberdeen fielded, their attack was much ahead of the Pittodrie division.

Scoring of the Goals.

Aberdeen opened the scoring after five minutes when, following upon clever work by connon and Middleton, Mackie found the net with a judicious shot. Play continued on fairly even lines, although, aided by the wind, Airdrie were slightly the more aggressive. Anderson saved well from Reid and Malcolm, until at the end of fifteen minutes Henderson snapped up a cross by Ellis to secure the equaliser. The Aberdeen right wing persistently threatened after this, and twice when well-placed Rankine lifted over the bar. Ten minutes from the interval Connon gave Aberdeen the lead when, following upon a shot by Rankine, the inside right found himself with practically an open goal. Subsequently the exchanges favoured Aberdeen until on the eve of the half-time whistle, Hutton missed his kick, and in an attempt to recover squared the ball across the field, where Henderson, beating Hannah for possession, rushed through to put the scores level with a ball that found the net off the upright.

Aberdeen Collapse.

Airdrieonians resumed strongly, but Rankine was in a position to give Aberdeen the lead when he spooned Middleton's cross over the bar. Twenty-five minutes had gone when Anderson only partially cleared a shot by Ellis, and Henderson, rushing in, put the home team ahead. Aberdeen made another big effort to get level, but from Middleton's centre Flanaghan shot wildly. A fourth goal fell to Airdrieonians after eighty minutes' play, when, after receiving from Dickson, Henderson rushed through to score the best goal of the match. Shortly afterwards Fotheringham had a wonderful save off a lightning header by Rankine from Middleton?s centre. Towards the end Airdrieonians monopolised play, and Dickson finished the scoring by heading a fifth goal to complete the discomfiture of the northern team.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 10th March 1921

Airdrie Teamsheet
Fotheringham; Dick, Watson; McLean, McNamee, Ellis; Malcolm, Henderson, Reid, Dickson
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie
Referee: G. H. McKenzie, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride