Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Dundee

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Miller (Pen).
Dundee scorers: Bird, Nicol

03/09/1921 | KO: 15:00

Dundee's decisive victory over Aberdeen at Aberdeen was well deserved on the run of the play. There were 18,000 spectators. The dourness of the play in the first half favoured the idea of a draw, the teams crossing over credited with one goal each. Dundee scored first, seven minutes before the close of the period, Bird, the inside left, accepting a fine cross from Kilpatrick, the right winger, and sending in a shot with great force. The equalising point came just a moment or two before the half-time interval, from a penalty against Nicol, Dundee's left half. Miller's kick found the net. Dundee's winning goal came twenty minutes after the resumption from Nicol, who lofted the ball into the net over the heads of the opposing backs. Troup, the Dundee left wing internationalist, was overshadowed throughout by Hutton, Aberdeen's powerful right back. Aberdeen's half-back line set up a strenuous defence, and Fotheringham saved several dangerous shots from Miller. McLean and Bell wrought strenuously for Dundee's victory - the first in ten years over Aberdeen in a League match.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th September 1921

In the big match at Pittodrie the victory went the better side. So far as the first half was concerned it was a typical "Derby" game, the balance of play favouring Aberdeen. After the interval, however, the play of the home team deteriorated, and there was corresponding improvement on the part of Dundee, who finished strongly, and but for the defence and A. MacLachlan the margin the visitors' win must have been of a more decisive, nature.
The players wasted no time in getting to grips, and, though Miller, who had two tries from long range, Aberdeen looked the more likely to open the scoring. Play was of an end-to-end character for a time, the Aberdeen right showing to advantage in some bright passing bouts. Miller let go another terrific drive, which Fotheringham saved in brilliant style. The first scoring chance of the game came to Bell when he was past the home defence, but in trying to beat Anderson, who went out to meet him, the centre-forward tipped the ball just wide of the empty goal. Miller was often in the eye with his strong shooting, and at this stage Aberdeen on play were worthy a lead that eluded them. It fell to Dundee to open the scoring, after nearly forty minutes' play, when Kilpatrick, lying unmarked, got possession to send over a cross from which Bird gave Anderson no chance. The goal upset Aberdeen for a time, but they rallied, and when Middleton, cutting in towards goal, wag illegitimately hustled off by Nicol, the infringement brought retribution in its trail, Miller putting Aberdeen level from the penalty kick award. The play was fast and often exciting towards the interval, when Aberdeen were decidedly unfortunate to be only on level terms.

Aberdeen Fall Off.

Dundee commenced the second half in much more business-like fashion than marked the work of Aberdeen. In the earlier stages the visitors' attack refused to be beaten off, and had they been able to push home their advantage they must have settled the issue then. A big falling off marked the play of the Aberdeen halves and forwards, but on one occasion the Dundee goal was fortunate to escape downfall when what must have been a scoring shot was rather luckily blocked by Thomson. Following upon this the Aberdeen defence had an anxious time, but the resolute defence of Hutton especially repeatedly staved off disaster. After 20 minutes, following a corner kick by Nicol, in a crowd of players, got his foot on the ball, to lift it into the net just inside the post. Anderson being evidently unsighted was powerless to save. After this reverse Aberdeen never seemed to rally, the forwards failing to blend into anything approaching a combination. They came very near to equalising about ten minutes from the finish, when nicely let away by Miller, Flanaghan had a magnificent shot, which just missed the mark by inches. The end came with Aberdeen hard pressed to stave off further disaster. The attendance was fully 18,000.

Source: Aberdeen Weekly Journal 5th September 1921

Dundee Teamsheet
Fotheringham; Raitt, Thomson; Irving, G. W. Thompson, Nicoll; Kilpatrick, McLean, Bell, Bird, Troup
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Dickson, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride