Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Motherwell

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Rooney 43.
Motherwell scorers: S McDonald 73

24/10/2015 | KO: 15:00

Dons Rue Missed Chances as Mcdonald Makes Point for Well

Aberdeen this afternoon stopped their losing run but were left frustrated after not picking up the three points. The first half was largely forgettable as both teams cancelled each other out. But just before the end of the half a McGinn free kick was headed home by Rooney. After the break the Dons played some very good football at pace as their confidence returned. They missed a number of good chances before Mark Reynolds had a goal ruled out for offside as assistant referee Kylie McMullan raised her flag. The decision was incorrect. Aberdeen were made to pay for not taking their chances when Scott McDonald headed home a free kick, almost an identical goal to the Dons, after poor defending. Minutes earlier Ash Taylor had to leave the field with an injury. The final quarter of an hour was end to end as first of all Ripley produced an outstanding save to keep out a Logan header. Then at the other end Danny Ward made three brilliant saves as he ensured the Dons took a point.

The manager told RedTV post match that he is hopeful Ash Taylor will be ok for the Celtic game next Saturday whilst Andrew Considine missed the game today with illness.

match report
Aberdeen lined up with Ward in goal, a back four of Logan, Taylor, Reynolds and Shinnie. The midfield was made up of McLean, McGinn, Hayes, Pawlett and Jack. Adam Rooney started the match up front.

Aberdeen started on the front foot and in the 2nd minute a dangerous cross from Hayes was well dealt with by the visiting defence. Then on 4 minutes Logan made a vital tackle inside the area on Moult just as he was away to shoot. Aberdeen had their first corner in the 7th minute but Motherwell managed to get it clear. The Dons then won a series of corners as they enjoyed a little spell of pressure but Motherwell dealt comfortably with them.

On 19 minutes a chance for the visitors. Captain Keith Lasley hit a shot from the edge of the area which just went past Ward's right hand post. Then Motherwell had another chance but Shay Logan managed to make another block, this time on Fletcher on the near post.

After 27 minutes Hayes, this time on the left, made a good run into the box before trying to beat Ripley at the near post but the keeper read the situation and was able to gather the shot. On the half hour mark the keeper did well when Rooney flicked a long ball on, and Pawlett raced through. Ripley was off his line quickly to smother the ball before Peter could get to it.

In the 34th minute Aberdeen was corner number five. Hayes passed the corner to McGinn and crossed it but McLean's header went past the post. Seconds later a chance. Aberdeen put together a good break, McGinn played it wide to Hayes who had an opening but from a slight angle he blasted over. On 39 minutes Motherwell had a corner but the deep cross evaded everyone.

Both teams had struggled with their set plays but all that was to change on the 41st minute. McGinn chipped over a free kick. The Motherwell defence tried to play offside. Pawlett did look to be in an offside position but as he was not interfering with play referee Crawford Allan waved play on and Rooney, who was completely unmarked headed home. A well worked free kick from the Dons.

Just on the stroke of half time Ryan Jack cracked a dipping half volley just over the bar.


On 47 minutes a Fletcher header was easily saved by Ward. On 51 minutes Motherwell were forced to make a change when Lasley limped off. The skipper was replaced by Ainsworth. From that point on Aberdeen played some excellent football for 20 minutes or so. Their movement was a lot better and they started to play with some confidence again.

On 54 minutes McGinn did well to create room for a cross. Rooney met it at the front post but his glancing header went wide of the target. Four minutes later the Dons forced the ball forward in the box before Pawlett managed to sneak in in front of the keeper and get the ball past him. His shot slowly trickled towards the net but unfortunately went agonisingly past the post as McGinn tried to catch it.

Then on the hour mark Aberdeen did have the ball in the net when Reynolds headed home after Rooney flicked the ball on but lineswoman Kylie McMullan raised her flag. The decision was incorrect on reflection. Then on 65 minutes McGinn chipped the ball into the danger area. Pawlett tried an overhead kick which just went over.
However Peter might have been better leaving the ball for Rooney who was well positioned.

On 67 minutes Ash Taylor picked up a knock and unfortunately he had to be replaced by Paul Quinn.

On 70 minutes, yet another chance of the Dons, and probably their best one of the half. Ryan Jack worked his way into the box. He showed good vision to pass the ball wide to Pawlett who was unmarked. Peter put his shot across the keeper but the ball just went past the post.

Aberdeen were made to pay for those misses when in the 72nd minute Motherwell equalised. The goal was very similar to the Dons. A free kick from almost an identical area was headed home by Scott McDonald. It was an excellent header from the Australian but the Dons will not be happy that the smallest man on the field managed to get a free header.

The goal lifted the visitors and McDonald went close to a second a few minutes later but Reynolds and Quinn kept him out. With fifteen minutes to go the game suddenly opened up as both teams went in search of a winner. It really was end to end stuff.

Substitute Theo Robinson was causing problems and he had a number of shots at goal which forced Ward to make saves. With ten minutes to go Pawlett was replaced by Goodwillie. Then McLean picked out McGinn with a good pass by Niall's cross was too close to the keeper. On 83 minutes a well worked short corner gave McGinn a shot at goal but his effort curled over.

With five minutes to go Shinnie stood the ball up for Logan and his header appeared to be going in but Connor Ripley produced an outstanding save, moving to his left before tipping the ball over. Then at the other end Ward produced a save just as good. Motherwell worked it down the left before playing it into the box and Robinson's first time shot had to be tipped over by Ward with a strong outstretched arm.

There were four minutes of injury time but it was the visitors who came closest to scoring. As Motherwell broke they had a three on three. The ball was worked to Johnson who hit a fine shot but Ward managed to deflect the ball past the post. Then from the resulting corner Ward produced the save of the game as he managed to react from a close range header, which hit the back of Ryan Jack's head, to palm the ball away to safety. Outstanding goalkeeping which meant the Dons at least won a point. Aberdeen before then had a half chance after a good move but Goodwillie was unable to latch onto the ball inside the area.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Ward, Logan, Shinnie, Taylor (Quinn 70), Reynolds, McLean, McGinn (McLaughlin 89), Hayes, Jack, Rooney, Pawlett (Goodwillie 80).

Unused Subs: Smith, Robson, Parker, Brown.
Motherwell Teamsheet
01.Connor Ripley, 06.Stephen McManus, 15.Joe Chalmers, 16.Kieran Kennedy, 18.Josh Law, 04.Liam Grimshaw, 08.Stephen Pearson, 11.Marvin Johnson, 14.Keith Lasley (07.Lionel Ainsworth 53), 09.Wes Fletcher (77.Scott McDonald 61), 20.Louis Moult (17.Theo Robinson 69). Unused Subs: 05.Louis Laing, 13.Craig Samson, 23.Dom Thomas, 25.Jake Taylor.

Bookings:  08.Stephen Pearson (57)
Attendance: 12,389
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Crawford Allan
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride