Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Falkirk

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Miller 86.
Falkirk scorers: McLeavy

14/09/1921 | KO:


At Pittodrie Park in a Scottish League fixture, before 14,000 spectators. Aberdeen, with a somewhat boisterous westerly breeze in their favour, monopolised play in the first half, but Ferguson's brilliant goalkeeping kept then at bay, and numerous fast, likely shots, especially from Miller, Yule, and Middleton were stopped. Weak finishing discounted Aberdeen's efforts. There was no scoring at half-time. From a scrimmage McLeavy headed past Anderson, and secured the first goal ten minutes after the resumption. Four minutes from time the equaliser came from a cross by Middleton to Miller. Aberdeen's outstanding players were Hutton, McLachlan, Milne, Rankine, and Middleton. Ferguson was easily Falkirk's best, and the others most probably were A. Hunter, a brother of the regular back, Townsley, Hamilton, and Glancy.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th September 1921

But for really brilliant goalkeeping by Ferguson at Pittodrie last night, Aberdeen would not have had to be content to divide two goals and the Scottish League points with Falkirk. After completely outplaying the visitors in midfield, Aberdeen came very near to losing, and again, as on Saturday against Celtic, a belated equalising goal came along four minutes from the end, to avert what on the run of the game would have been something akin tragedy. Of course, it is goals that count, and while the brilliance of the visiting goalkeeper was the big factor in the game, it cannot said that Aberdeen were particularly effective at close quarters.

Exciting Play.

Aberdeen had the advantage of a strong wind in the first half, when the play resolved itself more or less into a duel between the home attack and the Falkirk defence, and with Ferguson in particular. The visitors' goalkeeper was early called into action, and until the end of goalless period he was never clear of the danger zone. Shots - good, bad, and indifferent - were rained upon him by all the Aberdeen forwards and half-backs, but, while several of the efforts were creditable enough, there were occasions when lack of power and lack of direction from favourable position negatived really clever work on the move. On one occasion an overworked defence miskicked badly into his own goal, for Ferguson to be on the spot and execute a splendid recovery.

Claims Disallowed.

Once Aberdeen claimed that in saving a shot from Miller on the ground, Ferguson allowed the ball to go over the goal-line, but the referee decided otherwise. There were other two occasions when Aberdeen claimed penalty kicks when defenders handled inside the "box," but in these cases the official held the incidents to be the outcome of accident, which entails no penalty. Except for occasional bursts away by Gowdy, and raids by Hamilton, who tested Anderson from near the touchline, the Aberdeen rear division were more of attacking than defending factors during the period. It was generally supposed that, with the score sheet blank at the interval and having failed to take advantage the wind in the first half, Aberdeen's chance had gone with the change of ends, but, as events proved, they lasted out well to save a game they ought to have won by a decisive margin.

The First Goal.

The first goal came after ten minutes of the second half had gone, and was one which ought not to have been scored. Anderson, in saving a high ball, was rushed by the visitors' centre forward before he touched the ball, with the result that it was with difficulty that the keeper was able save at the expense of a corner. Obviously, the referee ought to have awarded the home team a free kick but he did not appear to notice the infringement and gave the flag kick. Hamilton placed the ball and it was sent into goal high up. Anderson was only able to pull it down, and it went to McLeary, who rushed through, the Aberdeen goalkeeper being injured in the scrimmage.
Following upon the reverse, Aberdeen kept pegging away at Ferguson, but, supported by a resolute defence, he defied all their efforts. On one occasion he brought off a magnificent save from Stevenson, and efforts by Yule, Miller, and Middleton were all finely stopped and cleared. Once his goal was fortunate to escape when he left it to meet a high ball from Middleton. He failed to get the ball, and in a scrimmage a defender deflected wide of an empty goal for a corner. Aberdeen strove desperately hard for the equaliser, and once while concentrating on attack their defence was caught, napping, and Glancy got through, but Anderson brought off a splendid save.

The Equaliser.

When it seemed that their efforts would go unrewarded, the well-deserved equaliser came along four minutes from the end. Following a free kick in midfield, Middleton got possession, He carried the ball almost to the goal-line, and then lobbed it over for Miller to head past Ferguson. A scene of great enthusiasm followed the success, and in the closing stages Aberdeen crowded in full sail in an endeavour to snatch a winning goal which, if deserved, just eluded them. The attendance was about 14,000.

Source: Aberdeen Weekly Journal 15th September 1921

Falkirk Teamsheet
Ferguson; Scott, A, Hunter; McNair, Townsley, Dougall; Hamilton, Glancy, Gowdy, McLeavy, Moore
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Bell, Dundee