Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 3 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Celtic scorers: L Griffiths (44, pen 53), J Forrest (60).
Aberdeen scorers: Rooney 89.

31/10/2015 | KO: 12:30

Dons Fall Short as Griffiths Double Claims The Points for Celtic

Aberdeen's disappointing October continued as they went down to a 3-1 defeat in Glasgow. Aberdeen battled well in the first half but conceded a disappointing a goal just before the break when Griffiths headed home. Before that the Dons had defended well despite losing Andrew Considine after he picked up a head knock. Also at the other end Jonny Hayes was causing problems and Adam Rooney had put a couple of chances just over. Adam also went agonisingly close when a downward header from close range just went past the post, and the Aberdeen striker did have the ball in the net at one point but the goal was chalked off for offside.
After the break, as the Dons appealed for a penalty, Celtic raced forward. It looked as if Aberdeen had snuffed out the danger but Taylor brought down Commons at the edge of the area and Celtic had a penalty which Griffiths slotted home. The home side then added a third on the hour mark when Forrest nipped in to score. Pawlett brought the Dons to life again when he came on and Peter forced Gordon into a fine stop. At the other end Ward again impressed with four good saves during the 90 minutes. Aberdeen then scored a consolation goal with two minutes to go when Rooney headed home a Hayes free kick. But it was too little too late.
Everyone at AFC will be hoping November brings a change of fortunes.

match report
Derek McInnes made one change to the side that drew with Motherwell last week. Andrew Considine recovered from illness to come back into the starting XI and Peter Pawlett dropped to the bench. The Dons lined up with Considine at left back and Shinnie in centre midfield.

On four minutes Logan had to track the run of Forrest but the full back did well to win a goal kick. A minute later Griffiths had a shot charged down. Aberdeen immediately broke but McLean's early ball to Rooney was too strong. On eight minutes McLean won the Dons a free kick out on the left. Hayes put over a good ball but Taylor was penalised for a push. Then at the other end Taylor did well to flick away a dangerous Lustig cross. A minute later a slick Celtic move gave Griffiths a bit of room, the Scotland striker beat Logan but his shot went wide. Celtic continued to put on the pressure and this time Forrest was one on one with Logan, the full back did well to block. From the resulting corner, the first of the game, Celtic appealed for a penalty when the ball struck the top of McLean's arm but referee Willie Collum rightly waved play on. Also from that corner Boyata and Considine clashed heads. Both players were able to continue after lengthy treatment. The Dons defence would have been glad of the break.

On 15 minutes the Dons first attack and almost a goal. McLean played it wide to McGinn and his cross to the near post found Rooney and Adam's first time flick just went wide of the front post. On 19 minutes a great Dons break saw a three on three situation. Hayes' pass to McLean was just behind the midfielder. However the ball came back to Jonny and his cross was again just flicked over by Rooney. Back came Celtic and Forrest had a shot defected wide.

After 22 minutes Considine was unable to continue. He was replaced by Paul Quinn and Reynolds moved to left back. With his first touch Quinn knocked a Hayes free kick back to Reynolds and his header went all the way through to Rooney who beat Gordon but the far side linesman had his flag up. Replay's show that Adam was probably just offside but it was a lot closer than first appeared.

On 28 minutes the Dons defence were opened up for the first time. Griffiths got the wrong side of Taylor and looked certain to score but Ward pulled off a tremendous save from point blank range. Danny did brilliantly to make himself so big. On the half hour mark Shinnie received the first yellow card for a foul on Rogic. Celtic then forced another corner but the Dons defence were dealing well with any set plays despite the home side having a real physical presence and a height advantage.

On 34 minutes Quinn did well to intercept a Forrest cross. Then after that an Aberdeen break had the Celtic rear-guard scrambling but McLean's cross from the by-line was weak and Gordon was able to gather. A minute later great wing play but Hayes. His first cross was cleared but Shinnie won the ball back and Hayes' second cross found Rooney in between the two Celtic central defenders and his downward header bounced into the ground and inches past.

Celtic were now racking up the corners. They reached double figures before the end of the half. Corner number nine on 40 minutes almost saw a goal as McLean was forced to clear a looping Boyata header away from under his own bar. In fact Kenny actually headed the ball off the bar before heading away.

On 43 minutes the Dons defence were penalised for giving away cheap possession. The ball was worked down the right and squared to Griffiths but be ballooned his first effort over. A minute later though Celtic took the lead. A Tierney cross found Griffiths who got above Quinn and he headed past Ward. A good header but a poor goal from the Dons point of view, who had defended so well up to that point. Things almost got worse before the break when Rogic found space in the box but he dragged his shot wide.


Aberdeen started the second half with some nice possession. On 49 minutes a Rogic shot had to be beaten away by Ward. Commons then missed a good chance.

On 52 minutes the crucial incident in the game. Aberdeen had a penalty claim as the ball appeared to strike the arm of a Celtic defender from long throw. As the Dons players appealed loudly to referee Collum Celtic broke as play was waved on. Logan initially did well to break up the play but the ball broke out to Commons and as Taylor came across to cover him, his momentum sent Commons flying up in the air and this time Collum did award a spot kick. Taylor was booked. Griffiths took the penalty and although Ward guessed right the low shot beat him.

On 55 minutes Aberdeen forced a corner but then it was game over just before the hour mark when James Forrest nipped in between the defence to score, although Aberdeen will feel they could have had a free kick in the build up to the goal.

On 66 minutes Forrest was replaced by Stuart Armstrong. On 68 minutes Ward did well to tip a Griffiths effort over. The big keeper once again impressed. Aberdeen then made a double change. McGinn was replaced by Goodwillie and Jack was replaced by Pawlett. On 71 minutes Armstrong got in ahead of Logan but his low shot was once again well saved by Ward. A minute later Armstrong played a one two with Commons before curling a shot just past. On 75 minutes Griffiths should have done better when Celtic had a two on one but he selfishly shot himself and Ward made an easy save.

After 77 minutes a double change for Celtic. Tierney off, Izaguirre on and Simunovic off, Ambrose on.
Peter Pawlett had done well since coming on and linked well with Hayes down the left. On 79 minutes, Logan's good cross was headed down by Pawlett but Gordon made a good save, doing well to get down quickly. On 82 minutes Rooney was not far away from getting on the end of a Hayes cross. Hayes, who was one of the better Aberdeen players today, then put over a couple of other crosses before at the other end Armstrong just failed to tap in a Commons cross/shot.

On 88 minutes the Dons did finally get a goal, a Hayes free kick was headed in by Rooney on the penalty spot, looping the ball over Gordon from 12 yards. Aberdeen pushed to try and get another but in the end the goal was only a consolation.

Celtic Teamsheet
01.Craig Gordon 05.Jozo Simunovic (04.Efetobore Ambrose Emuobo 78), 20.Dedryck Boyata, 23.Carl Mikael Lustig, 63.Kieran Tierney (03.Emilio Izaguirre 78), 06.Nir Bitton, 15.Kristian Commons, 18.Tomas Rogic, 25.Stefan Johansen, 49.James Forrest (14.Stuart Armstrong 67), 09.Leigh Griffiths. Unused Subs: 07.Nadir Ciftci, 19.Scott Allan, 26.Logan Bailly, 42.Callum McGregor.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Ward, Logan, Considine (Quinn 23), Taylor, Reynolds, Shinnie, McLean, McGinn (Goodwillie 69), Hayes, Jack (Pawlett 70), Rooney.

Unused Subs: Flood, Robson, McLaughlin, Brown.

Bookings:  Shinnie (30),  Taylor (53).
Attendance: 48,161
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: William Collum
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead