Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Inverness CT

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Inverness CT

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: McGinn 73, Rooney 90 (Pen).
Inverness CT scorers: L Polworth 41, G Tansey 47 (Pen).

26/12/2015 | KO: 15:00

McGinn Hits 50 as Dons Fight Back to Draw

match report

Aberdeen made one changed to the side that defeated Kilmarnock last weekend, Willo Flood missed out due to illness and Andrew Considine returned to the starting line-up, after recovering from his illness. Mark Reynolds and Barry Robson returned from injury but had to make do with a place on the bench.

On a wet and windy boxing day, Jonny Hayes was the first to try and test the Inverness goal after some nice link up play from McLean, he fired in a shot from distance, but it was too high to trouble WIlliams. Rooney then had a half chance but his long range shot was off target as the Dons started brightly. They were also keen to get some shots away as they had a strong wind at their backs in the first half.

The Dons kept the pressure on in the opening exchanges, with Considine finding himself with space in the box but the ball wouldn't fall for him, and Inverness cleared. Logan and McLean picked the ball up again and Rooney was very close to getting on the end of the former St Mirren midfielder's cross.

Against the run of play, Inverness had a superb chance on the counter as Miles Storey found himself through on goal - despite looking well offside - but Danny Ward was off his line quickly and blocked superbly with his feet. On the 19th minute mark Shinne burst past Raven and drew the foul from the Inverness player. McLean lined up the resulting free-kick, and kept it low but it just went wide past Fon William's left hand post.

The Dons continued to probe and Hayes swung in a dangerous corner, but Williams manged to punch clear. Raven again broke away beating the Dons offside trap and was this time he shot across the keeper but the ball was deflected behind. The visitors could easily have been behind.

Ryan Jack played Logan through out on the wing and the fullback skinned Tremarco who brought down the Logan. McGinn took the resulting free kick but Williams managed to get both hands on the cross. McGinn took the second Dons corner of the match on the half hour mark. His in-swinger was met by Taylor but he couldn't guide his header on target.

Five minutes later good patient play out wide by McGinn and Hayes resulted in the Northern Irishman putting in a great ball into the box. Considine came in at the back post but couldn't get enough power on the header to beat the keeper and Rooney just failed to get on the end of it.

The Dons were back on the attack once again, with Logan put an excellent cross and Warren headed back towards his own goal, beating the keeper but fortunately for the defender the ball crept wide. McGinn took the resulting corner and the ball broke first to Rooney and then to Quinn but some desperate defending from Inverness saw the ball scrambled away.

Caley then took the lead five minutes before half time. Draper managed to evade Quinn's challenge and cut the ball back and Liam Polworth who side footed the ball past Ward from the edge of the box. It was a good finish but the Dons will have been disappointed with their defending.

The Dons looked to bounce back immediately, Shinne took had long range effort deflected wide and Hayes took the resulting corner. Inverness cleared as the Dons tried to work the ball back into the box and Polworth fed in Draper, the Inverness player hit the deck but referee Willie Collum waved away the penalty claims.
Although Aberdeen had a lot of the ball in the first half, Inverness were good value for their lead as they had defended very well and looked dangerous on the break.


Aberdeen got off to the worst possible start to the second half. Draper went down after a challenge from Quinn and Collum surprisingly pointed to the spot. Tansey took the resulting spot kick and sent Ward the wrong way. Derek McInnes immediately made a change with David Goodwillie replacing Paul Quinn. Shinnie then dropped into left back with Considine moving to centre - half.

Niall McGinn tried to pull a goal back immediately, shimming past his man and cutting inside but his right footed shot just wouldn't dip quickly enough to find the back of the net. The Dons kept the pressure on and McGinn got a shot away but his volley was again just too high.

On the 55th minute the Dons were denied a clear corner after a Goodwillie header was headed behind by the Inverness defender but the referee pointed for a goal kick. The Dons continued to try and get back into the game. Logan's cross was deflected and the ball fell to Shinnie, who busted into the box his low shot was deflected out for a corner. The resulting corner looked to have gone straight out of play but Aberdeen were awarded another corner. Jonny Hayes corner was met by Taylor at the back post but he couldn't get his header on target. Fon Williams took a head knock in the process and there was a long break in play as the keeper received treatment.

The Dons kept Inverness pegged back but found it hard to create a clear cut chance, with Inverness keeping 10 players behind the ball and defending very well.

Then finally a lifeline. Niall McGinn scored a great solo goal to take the Dons back in contention. With 28 minutes played in the second half he skipped away from two Inverness players and slid the ball under Fon Williams. A piece of brilliance that lifted the crowd.

By now it was all Aberdeen and a McGinn run down the right resulted in another corner which brought the Red Army to their feet. Unfortunately for the Dons McLean could only head Hayes a cross wide after Inverness cleared from the corner. McGinn again showed his class with a great turn in the box but his curling shot just went wide of the far post. It was beginning to look like it wouldn't be the Dons day.

Gary Warren was shown the second booking of the match, after he took Jonny Hayes out of the action. The Dons couldn't capitalise from the free kick and Inverness were able to break and send Storey away once again, he managed to get past Shinne but Logan was on hand to cover and to put the ball out for a corner.
Logan was then involved down the other end, showing superb skill to steal a yard on his man but McGinn couldn't connect. McLean was the next to threaten, he drove forward from the half way line and fired a 30 yard drive off the bar. It was a fantastic strike. Had it gone in would have been a contender for goal of the season.

Then in the 89th minute The Dons were level. A Goodwillie shot was handled in the box and Aberdeen were awarded a penalty. Inverness players were less than happy. Rooney confidently stepped up and fired the Dons level. Just as the Fourth Official indicated there would be 6 minutes of stoppage time.

The fans drove the players on as Aberdeen continued to search for the winner. Ash Taylor had stayed forward as a centre forward and was causing the Inverness defence problems but just as the Dons won a corner in the 5th minute of injury time the referee blew for full time. Aberdeen may also have had another penalty in the dying seconds as well for another handball in the box. The Dons deserved to find the winner but showed their battling qualities to fight back and get a point that keeps the unbeaten run going.

Inverness CT Teamsheet
25.Owain Fon Williams, 02.David Raven, 03.Carl Tremarco, 05.Gary Warren, 14.Danny Devine, 04.James Vincent, 08.Ross Draper, 15.Nathaniel Wedderburn, 16.Greg Tansey, 20.Liam Polworth (28.Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo 78), 39.Miles Storey (19.Danny Williams 88). Unused Subs: 01.Ryan Esson, 07.Daniel Lopez Robles, 11.Jordan Roberts, 18.Oluwatobi Sho-Silva.

Bookings:  20.Liam Polworth (77),   08.Ross Draper (83),   25.Owain Fon Williams (90+5).
Attendance: 15,142
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Willie Collum
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride