Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 2 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 1 - 3 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Kilmarnock scorers: Watson, Skinner
Aberdeen scorers: Miller 30, Miller 33, Connon.

17/09/1921 | KO:

Points for Aberdeen.

Aberdeen were a trifle lucky to carry away both points from Kilmarnock. The home team had the better of the opening play, and after twenty-five minutes for the first goal through Watson. Miller, however, soon equalised the scores, and the same player added a second, while before the interval Connon put on a third. Kilmarnock played vigorously in the second half, but one goal, headed home by Skinner, was their only reward. Attendance 8000.

Source: The Scotsman, 19th September 1921

If there was nothing decisive about the result, Aberdeen did well to beat Kilmarnock at Rugby Park by 3 goals to 2. Six thousand spectators looked on at a match in which the play seldom reached a high standard, and the number of goals scored flattered the display of the respective attacks. With the wind in their favour in the first, half, Aberdeen attacked for the greater part, and in the second half the circumstances were exactly reversed, so that taking the game from first to last a draw would have been a fitting result. In the earlier stages of the game, Aberdeen were always dangerous, and although they made several creditable efforts to first-time the ball into the net, their finishing left much to be desired. After Aberdeen had repeatedly looked like scoring, they fell in arrears at the end of twenty-two minutes' play. Anderson, in clearing a soft, shot, slipped and fell to lose possession, and Watson rushed in, and although falling over the ball managed to draw it after him into the net.

Quick Scoring.

Aberdeen continued to attack, and Miller, Connon, Yule and Rankine had creditable attempts to score, one effort from Yule striking the crossbar. The equaliser materialised after thirty minutes' play. Middleton lobbed the ball towards goal, and Murray left it for the goalkeeper from whom he attempted to ward off Miller, but the Aberdeen centre-forward cleverly circumvented him, to kick the ball into the net before Neil could prevent him. On level teems, Aberdeen quickly got ahead, and only three minutes had elapsed when Yule, after taking the ball along in brilliant style, and cutting in towards the centre, gave to Miller, who scored with a shot that passed over the goalkeeper's outstretched arms. Kilmarnock were completely outplayed at this stage and it was no surprise when Yule got off to square, and Connon cleverly hacked the ball into the net. Aberdeen's lead of 3 to 1 at the interval was only in accordance with the run of the game, although Anderson had twice saved smartly at close range after slips by the defence.

Aberdeen Defend Well.

In the second half, Kilmarnock were as much on the attack as Aberdeen had been earlier, but concentrating on defence the Pittodrie team covered up well. They early lost a goal when Anderson, in attempting to clear a high ball from Goldie, knocked it into the air, and before the keeper could regain possession, Skinner rushed in to head into the net. An injury to Hutton, which necessitated his being treated on the touchline for a time, handicapped the Aberdeen defence, and on several occasions Kilmarnock came near to equalising, a shot from Culley hitting the upright on one occasion, and at another time Anderson was lucky to be on the spot to hold a header from Culley. Aberdeen were only occasionally dangerous, but once Miller got away from near midfield, and although outpacing the backs, he sent wide with only Neil to beat. Right to the end Kilmarnock strove desperately for the equaliser, but although several chances presented themselves, McNaught on one occasion missing an open goal, the Aberdeen defence held good to the end.
On the Aberdeen side the defence at times was none too reliable, Forsyth being the better back. In the half-back line, MacLachlan and Milne were consistently effective throughout, and the best of the forwards were Rankine, Yule, and Miller. For the Kilmarnock, the play of Murray and Gibson at back was ahead of the Aberdeen pair. Shortt was always in evidence at centre-half, and in a forward line that did not combine well and finished weakly, the best were Culley and McPhail.

Source: Aberdeen Weekly Journal 19th September 1921

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Neil; Murray, Gibson; Goldie, Shortt, Garrety; McNaught, Watson, Skinner, Culley, M'Phsil
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Referee: J. Howden, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride