Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Miller 15.
Hibernian scorers: Halligan, Paterson

01/10/1921 | KO:

Poor Play at Pittodrie

It was a capital win the Hibernians had at Aberdeen, where a crowd of about 15,000 saw their favourites beaten by a better side. During the first half the Hibernians had enough to do to hold their own. The stalwart Aberdeen men hustled them to some purpose, and when they opened the scoring, through Miller, fifteen minutes from the start, a bad time seemed to be in store for the visitors. It was a great drive that got the net. On play the Aberdeen team quite deserved to lead but they were in front for less than five minutes and it was good work by Ritchie on one wing and Walker on the other that led up to the equalising goal that was got by Halligan with an overhead kick. Aberdeen had a warm spell of attacking later, and Miller struck the cross-bar hard with a splendid shot. Chances went abegging at both ends but the simplest of all fell to Paterson just before the interval. He threw away another just as easy shortly after resuming. During the second half the Hibernians were clearly the better side, and playing with great spirit, they kept their opponents for the most part on the defensive. The game was well on its way to a finish, however, before the winning goal was obtained, and, as it fell to Paterson, he was thus able to make amends for his previous failings. Walker played well for the Hibernians on the left wing. Shaw was of great service at centre half, and Harper, if he had not a great deal to do, saved brilliantly on occasion, once in particular from Robertson, the Aberdeen left winger. The home team fell away badly in the second half after appearing to have a good grip of the play. Their forwards were a dangerous lot in the first period, but not of much account later, when the Hibernian halves had their measure.

Source: The Scotsman, 3rd October 1921

Aberdeen served up their worst display at home this season, when they were beaten by Hibernian at Pittodrie by 2 goals to 1. There were about 15,000 spectators. If anything, Aberdeen had slightly the better of the exchanges in the first half when facing a glaring sun, which severely handicapped their defence, when they were oftener attacking than were the visitors. The boot was on the other foot after the interval, when the Aberdeen forwards and half-backs faded out of the picture, and their work lacked the method and cohesion of the Hibernian. Aberdeen were only occasionally dangerous in spasmodic rushes during the period, and but for the fine goalkeeping of Anderson and the strong back play of Hutton, the margin of defeat must have been more decisive.
Hibs opened strongly, and in the earlier stages the home defence was hard put to it to clear dangerous crosses from the wings. Aberdeen improved, and the visitors' goal ran a narrow escape, when Harper, after leaving his goal to meet a bouncing ball, missed it, but turned round and managed to deflect it wide of the goal. At the end of fifteen minutes, and following sustained pressure, Aberdeen took the lead, Miller driving home a fast rising ball after several efforts by his colleagues had been blocked. Hibs quickly got on level terms. A miss by a defender allowed Walker to get past the backs, but Anderson saved finely at the expense of a corner. The ball was well placed from the flag and Halligan put the ball the net well out of Anderson?s reach. After this Aberdeen attacked vigorously, and the Hibernian goal had a series of narrow escapes. Robertson and Rankine twice skied when well placed, and Harper saved well on several occasions, but he was lucky when a great shot by Miller hit the cross bar. Aberdeen were unfortunate not to take the lead at this stage, but a plucky defence survived. Close on the interval, after clever play by Dunn, who from the goal-line sent the ball back, Paterson missed practically an open goaI, and the teams were level at the mid-journey.

Aberdeen Fall Off.

After the interval the play ruled entirely in favour of the visitors. Anderson had early to stop a fast shot by Walker, and had Paterson been more slick he would have netted from the keeper's palm-out. Miskicks by the home defenders helped the visitors to keep up the attack. A burst by Robertson and Rankine on the home left looked as if it would produce a goal, but Robertson, when well placed for shooting, preferred to pass to Miller, whose shot was deflected for a fruitless comer. Owing largely to the cleverness of Dunn, the Edinburgh forwards repeatedly had the home defence in difficulties, and Hutton frequently cleared when disaster to his side appeared imminent. The Pittodrie attack, on the other hand, was only occasionally dangerous, and their efforts lacked cohesion. Harper on one occasion saved grandly at close range from Robertson, and twice Miller troubled him with long range efforts. With fifteen minutes left for play, it was no surprise when Hibernian took the lead, catching a centre from Walker to place the ball wide of Anderson's reach. The visitors continued to dominate the situation, and it would not have been surprising had they increased their lead. Aberdeen twice had opportunities to draw level. Once Miller, who had worked out to the right, swung over a centre, but Robertson was slow to gather, and on another occasion Harper had a magnificent save at close quarters from Miller.

Better Team Won.

The Hibernian victory was well deserved on their display in the second half. They were greatly superior at half-back and forward, indeed the only positions in which it could be said Aberdeen players held their own were at goal, right back, left half, and centre forward, and understanding was sadly lacking in the work of the Pittodrie team.
Hibs were finely served by Harper in goal, Templeton at right back, and by their three half-backs, and the best of the forwards were Dunn, Halligan and Ritchie. On the home side the players to do themselves justice were Anderson, Hutton, MacLachlan, and Miller.

Referee's Unusual Action.

There was an unusual incident in the course of the second period of the game at Pittodrie, when Mr. Dougray, the referee, stopped play and proceeded to administer a rebuke to a spectator in the reserved eclosure in front of the stand. It is understood that the spectator in question used an offensive remark. The incident closed with the referee calling Aberdeen F. C. officials to the scene.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 2nd October 1921

Hibernian Teamsheet
Harper; Templeton, Dornan; Kerr, Shaw, Strang, Ritchie, Dunn, Paterson, Halligan, Walker
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr Thomas Dougray, Glasgow