Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hamilton 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hamilton 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Hamilton scorers: Wall 40, Cullen 80
Aberdeen scorers: Miller 20, Wright 88.

22/10/1921 | KO:

Aberdeen's Strenuous Game at Hamilton

There were plenty of thrills in the game between Hamilton Academicals and Aberdeen at Hamilton, but very little studied movement. The Aberdeen team were outplayed, and did not deserve one of the points. They made only two raids in the first half-hour, and from one of these Miller scored. Wall, whose cleverness was very evident, equalised the scores before the interval, and after a long and persistent aggression in the second portion, Cullen gained what looked like a winning goal ten minutes from time. But from a free kick in the closing minutes Wright scored a second goal for Aberdeen through a misunderstanding on the part of the Hamilton defenders, and honours were equal at the finish. On play the Academicals were an easy first. Their forward combination was, however, affected by the absence of Dickson, and the consequent rearrangement of the forward line.

The Scotsman, 24th October 1921

In dividing four goals with the Academicals at Douglas Park, Hamilton, Aberdeen accomplished one of the best performances of the day. In previous games the Academicals had been carrying everything before them, and the fact that in the two preceding encounters with Kilmarnock and Queen's Park they had scored 12 goals and only conceded two is sufficient, to reflect the creditable nature of Aberdeen's performance. With previous heavy rain, the pitch at Douglas Park was sodden, and considering that Aberdeen had a tedious five hours' journey by train and motor just previous to the match theirs was indeed a meritorious performance. As the game went, the Pittodrie team was full value for the hard-earned point?and it was hard-earned. Of superior physique to the home team, they frequently used their weight in such a way as to raise the ire of the home team's supporters, but let it be said much of the barracking to which they were subjected was not justified. Twice Hutton came under the ban of the referee for what the official considered over-robust tactics, but there were many occasions upon which when the heavier-built Aberdeen players used their weight quite legitimately they were penalised. In the face of this, and in the absence of support from a crowd that was more than usually prejudiced against them, the Aberdeen players displayed great spirit, and in the end their whole-hearted efforts were rewarded with a point that was well-merited on play.
The Academicals had one change from their winning combination, Martin Appearing at inside right vice Dixon, who had sustained a fractured leg in the game with Queen's Park a week before. On the Aberdeen side, A. R. Grosert came in at left back vice Forsyth, injured. Right from the start, despite the heavy ground, a fast pace was set and maintained. In the opening stages play favoured the Academicals, whose left wing scintillated in well-combined runs, and Anderson twice saved finely from Wall and MacMillan. In time Aberdeen settled down to nice, combined work between the halfbacks and forwards, and off the first flag kick of the game White had a wonderful one-handed save off a header by Milne. After twenty minutes, Aberdeen opened the scoring, Bainbridge lifting over a centre to Miller, who crashed the ball past White. Aberdeen followed their success by maintaining pressure, and Thomson and Miller both had tries, which were wide of the mark. The home team were handicapped for a time by the absence of MacMillan, who had be carried off, but was able to resume. Both defences were kept busy, but neither goalkeeper had a great deal to do, although on one occasion Bainbridge should have put Aberdeen further ahead after White had saved on the ground near the upright, the left winger sending against the side net. Five minutes from the interval the Academicals drew level. A cross from Hanlon was only partially cleared by the Aberdeen goalkeeper, and in the subsequent melee Wall found the net from short range.

Belated Equaliser.

Play in the opening stages of the second half produced a defensive duel, in which the tactics of both sides lacked neither in vigour nor robustness. A 'cutely hooked shot by Rankine was rather luckily deflected by White while out of his goal, and Milne just missed the mark with a great drive from long range. Anderson saved finely from Steele, and for a time Aberdeen were kept busy defending. An injury to Steele necessitated a rearrangement of the home team, the half-back going outside right, Martin to right half, and Cullen to inside right, with Hanlon attack leader. Ten minutes from the end the Academicals took the lead. Steele drove hard, and the ball rebounded off Anderson's chest to the foot of Cullen, who promptly netted. The closing stages were keenly contested, and with two minutes left for play Aberdeen equalised. Wright took a free kick from 40 yards out, and, following up, disconcerted Hunter and White, who between them allowed the ball to find the net. Attendance, 6000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 24th October 1921

Hamilton Teamsheet
White; Hunter, Scullion Steele, Hall, Thomson; Hanlon, Martin, Cullen, McMillan, Wall
Attendance: 6,500
Venue: Douglas Park, Hamilton
Referee: J. S. Muir, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride