Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Falkirk 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Falkirk scorers: Thomson, Moore
Aberdeen scorers: Miller.

19/11/1921 | KO:

By the odd goal in three, Falkirk succeeded in capturing two points from their game with Aberdeen at Falkirk, but on the run of play they might well have won by a much greater margin. Thomson, the Falkirk centre, got possession in the early minutes, and, bursting between the opposing backs, shot a fine goal. Thus encouraged, Falkirk came again, and only the brilliant work of Anderson in the Aberdeen goal kept them from adding to their early score. The home forwards played with a confidence which completely upset the opposing defence, and Anderson suffered a lively experience as he was called upon to turn aside shots from Thomson, Glancey, and Kane. The Aberdeen front rank succeeded only in making occasional raids in the home territory, but their lack of combination made it easy for the Falkirk defenders to deal with them. The second half opened in almost similar fashion to the first, Moore scoring a second point for Falkirk almost immediately after the kick off. Thereafter the visitors seldom had a look in, and whereas Anderson was given an anxious time in goal, Ferguson was seldom tested. In the closing minutes however, a breakaway by Middleton culminated in Miller scoring a goal for Aberdeen. The estimated attendance was 7000.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st November 1921

Aberdeen suffered their first defeat for six weeks at Falkirk on Saturday, when the local team beat them by 2 goals to 1. Consequent upon heavy rain, the pitch was slippery and greasy, and the conditions generally did not favour a high standard of play. On the run of the game, victory went to the better side, and it would not have been injustice had the margin in favour the winners been more decisive. Falkirk fielded the same team that had won at Shawfield a week before, but the absence of Hutton and the inclusion of Forsyth necessitated a rearrangement of the Aberdeen back division. The change did not work out satisfactorily, upsetting as it did the fine working arrangement which had been fostered between the Aberdeen rear divisions in preceding games. An early shock, by which a goal was conceded, two minutes from the start, found Aberdeen struggling against adversity which pursued them throughout the game, so that not until the closing minutes did they reveal anything like the form shown by them in recent games. Anderson throughout was seldom clear of the danger zone and it was largely due to his smart goal-keeping that the margin of defeat was small. Repeatedly, in both periods he dealt in masterly style with many well-directed shots, and yet it can be said that, had the Falkirk finishing been up to the standard of their outfield work, the scoring must have been greater. The Pittodrie half-backs and backs did not take too well to the conditions, and, not too sure of themselves in defence, they were not seen to their usual advantage in the backing up of their forwards. The attack in consequence was knocked off the balance, and, although such as Middleton and Miller were responsible for clever attempts to pierce the opposition, the play of the line as a whole, and particularly that of the left wing, fell below expectations.

The Net Finders.

The opening goal came when, after two minutes had gone, Thomson, the Falkirk centre-forward, received from Townsley to push the ball through between the backs and follow up to shoot a splendid goal. This was the only counting effort of the first half, but had the home forwards shown a little more steadiness they might have had a commanding lead at the interval. Falkirk were lucky in the manner in which they increased their lead two minutes after the resumption. Kane shot, and Anderson appeared likely to clear, when the ball was accidentally deflected wide of his reach by Forsyth. Following upon this, Falkirk adopted the, one-back game, the result being that, although the pace was maintained, the play lost much in interest. Anderson, as before, dealt cleverly with all manner of shots, but, if outplayed, Aberdeen continued to put up a stout resistance. Four minutes from the end, following upon a cross and a return from Middleton, Miller volleyed through a splendid goal for Aberdeen. In the closing stages the Pittodrie side made desperate efforts to draw level, but their re-awakening came too late, and the points were surrendered. For Aberdeen the outstanding players were Anderson, Middleton, and Miller, and in a well-balanced winning team the best were Scott, Townsley, Glancy, Kane, and Moore. Attendance, 8000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 21st November 1921

Falkirk Teamsheet
Ferguson; Scott, Hunter; McNair, Townsley, Dougall; Hamilton, Glancy, Thomson, Kane, Moore.
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Referee: J. B, Stevenson, Motherwell
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead