Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Thomson 30, Rankin 43.
Partick Thistle scorers: McColl

26/11/1921 | KO: 14:30


Aberdeen's victory over Partick Thistle at Pittodrie doubtless came as a surprise to the Scottish Cupholders and their supporters, more especially as the visiting team included no fewer than three internationalists - Campbell, McMenemy, and Harris. The game provided a few sensational episodes, one of the most remarkable being McColl's scoring for Partick Thistle within the first minute from a pass by McMenemy, who throughout was outstanding. This early reverse put the Aberdeen players on their mettle. The Aberdeen University player, Frank P. W. Alexander, who, with A. R. Grosert, was in the team as an amateur, made a very satisfactory debut on the left wing, where his fleetness gave the Partick Thistle defence some trouble. Repeatedly he proved his ability to outdistance opposing players in dashing after the ball. He shared with A. R. Grosert the ovation given by 16,000 delighted spectators at the close of the match. Partick Thistle's stout defence was especially well served by Crichton, left back, and Wilson and Gibson in the half-back line, while McMenemy found an able colleague in Kinloch among the forwards. For Aberdeen, Miller was much in evidence in supporting attacks initiated by Milne and MacLachlan. Thomson and Rankine were Aberdeen's goal getters, both putting the finishing touches to periods of pressure before the first half ended.

Source: The Scotsman, 28th November 1921

In the best-contested game seen this season, Aberdeen overcame Partick Thistle by 2 goals to 1. The fact that the Thistle were challenging the League leaders added interest to the match, and there were 16,000 present. On the whole Aberdeen deserved to win, but all the same they were hard pushed, and in a fighting finish just managed to preserve the lead. The game had a disastrous opening for Aberdeen, as in the first minute following a miss by Forsyth, a passing bout taken part in by Kinloch, McMenemy and McColl enabled the latter to beat Anderson from close range. For an hour the play ruled mostly in favour of the Thistle, and but for sterling defensive play A R. Grosert in particular they must have increased their lead. Gradually Aberdeen settled down, and with Miller leading the home attack with much skill, the Thistle goal was frequently in danger, Campbell having one particularly fine save from the Aberdeen centre-forward. Ultimately Aberdeen got on level terms. A shot cannoned off a Thistle defender to the foot of Thomson, and that player beat Campbell with a fast, rising shot alter half an hour's play. Play in the subsequent stages of the period ruled entirely in favour of Aberdeen, and Campbell's charge had numerous narrow escapes. Close to the interval Harris conceded a corner, and with Middleton placing the ball nicely from the flag, Rankine beat Campbell with an unsaveable shot to conclude the scoring.

Dour Struggle.

Play in the second half was of an even nature, first one side and then the other claiming an advantage. the defences of both teams being severely tested. For the opening ten minutes the Aberdeen attack was much in evidence, and their work brought out the high quality of the Thistle defence. Miller just missed the mark with a terrific free kick, and Alexander and Rankine both had shots blocked, and a cross from Middleton went abegging. In time, the Thistle shook off the pressure, and for the last half-hour the game provided as dour a struggle as could have been wished. Bowie twice had crosses cleared by defenders' heads, and Anderson had to field a long shot from Gibson, later doing well to get the ball away from a host of opponents. There were considerable midfield exchanges, in which neither side could claim advantage. In occasional bursts by the forwards, both goals were often in danger. Campbell saved a fast grounder from Wright, and later effected a brilliant clearance from the Aberdeen right half, who sent in a terrific first-timer - the best shot of the match. In the closing stages the Thistle pressed, but the Aberdeen defence held out.

Outstanding Players.

On the home side A. R. Grosert at right back was outstanding in defence, and got most assistance from Milne and MacLachlan. Miller and Rankine were the best of the forwards, and F. P. W. Alexander, of Aberdeen University, made a highly successful debut at outside left.
In a Thistle team that was slightly better balanced than the winners, and whose forwards combined better, Crichton, Wilson, and Gibson took the eye in defence. McMenemy was conspicuous among the forwards in the first half, but the most consistent performer in the line was Kinloch, with Bowie next in order.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 28th November 1921

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Campbell; Struthers, Crichton; Harris, Wilson, Gibson; Blair, Kinloch, McColl, McMenemy, Bowie
Attendance: 16,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Martin, Clydebank
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead