Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Second Round Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Miller (Pen), Miller.

14/02/1922 | KO: 15:00




The uncertainties of football are glorious or inglorious according to how results work out for those interested. Supporters of the Aberdeen Football Club had experience the first-named variety, when the Pittodrie team defeated Queen's Park by 2 goals to 1 in the second round of the Scottish Cup thereby accomplishing what they had failed to do at home on Saturday, when the teams finished level at a goal each.
The atmospheric conditions were as favourable as could be expected in the "second city" at this time of the year, and it was not surprising in view of the great popularity of the two teams that 18,000 people turned out to see a terrific struggle, and what by reason of its pace and robustness is called typical cup-tie football was the order. The pitch proved to be in a heavy state, and the game had only been set agoing when it commenced to cut up, so that the footing was uncertain. It is often said of a football cup tie that the first goal settle the issue. Saturday's encounter provided an exception, yesterday's did not.

Penalty Goal

Aberdeen took some time to settle down, and it was their inability to adapt their play to the conditions that led to their being principally defenders in the opening stages. The players in the rear divisions, and especially Hutton, showed a fine example to their colleagues in front, and after numerous clearances had been effected in the nick of time, the forwards found their feet. By quick and wonderfully accurate passes considering the heavy ground, they made play. Rankine and Thomson, the inside forwards especially forced the game, and when he was preparing to shoot Wright was grounded in the penalty area by Davies. Miller took the spot kick which referee Bell immediately awarded, and gave Newton no chance to save. It was then that the Aberdeen players experienced the truth of the saying that a team never has play so hard as when leading by a goal. Queen's Park came away with great determination after this reverse, and often it was "neck or nothing" for the Aberdeen defence. Still, they never wavered, nor did they hesitate, and, as the mud grew deeper the better they revelled in it. Right on until the interval it was a ding-dong struggle, with first one side claiming an ascendancy and then the other. Forward skill was countered by healthy and robust defence work, and on both sides there was no sparing of effort. Both goals were often imperilled, and there never was dearth of incident. Queen's Park relied on their extreme wingers to make ground, and on the other hand. Aberdeen made headway by following up hefty kicks by the backs and getting rid of the ball quickly. Both methods were effective even if they did not bring goals.

Goalkeepers Busy.

Temple ton, the amateurs' inside right, scooped the ball on to the top of the Aberdeen net on one occasion, and Blackwell twice had to fist away dangerous shots by McAlpine and Templeton. The Aberdeen goalkeeper, however, was kept no busier than Newton, who must have been glad to see shots by Miller twice go wide his charge, and he had one particularly fine save off a brilliant try by Thomson, who hoodwinked two opponents before delivering his shot. This player repeatedly took the eye in a hard-working Aberdeen attack, and it was following another great piece of work from him that the amateurs' goalkeeper left his charge to stave off disaster by flinging himself at the ball. There was a prolonged scrum in which it was difficult to tell what was happening, until a "dangerous play" whistle came to the keeper's assistance. Near the interval McAlpine got off on one of these individual bursts for which he is noted. He tricked Wright and Hutton in succession, and was quickly shortening the gap between him and the Aberdeen goal, when Milne dispossessed him. Grimly Aberdeen stuck to their slender lead, and when the interval arrived Miller's penalty goal was an orphan.

Blackwell Saves a Penalty.

The real thrills of the game were reserved for the second half, at the outset of which the Aberdeen defence was sorely tried. The amateurs played with greater spirit than at any previous stage of the game, but their eagerness, when it came to shooting, nullified their otherwise clever play. Templeton and Gillespie both had creditable tries, but the Aberdeen backs and half-backs never allowed the opposition to get out of hand. Then at the end of ten minutes' play came the second penalty kick of the game. McAlpine got away from an offside position, and sent a fast ball into the centre. MacLachlan and Fyfe, the amateur's centre-forward both went for it, and the lighter man was knocked off his balance. The referee awarded a penalty, and although the Aberdeen players protested, the official adhered to his decision. Gillespie, the centre-half took the kick, and flashed a terrific shot to the right of the goal for Blackwell to bring off a brilliant save. The ball cannoned off his fist, against the underside of the crossbar, and, as it rebounded from the ground, he grabbed and threw it behind as the eager amateurs rushed in upon him. It was, indeed, a wonderful save, and the young goalkeeper thoroughly merited the applause which followed. Several Queen's Park players claimed that the ball had crossed the goal-line after hitting the crossbar, but the referee was quite close to the scene of the incident and in a splendid position to judge.

Miller Scores Again.

Aberdeen profited by the escape. Thomson and Middleton broke away, and, after making progress, the latter whipped the ball into goal. It was partially cleared by a defender, and Rankine and Bainbridge both had tries blocked practically below the bar before Miler dashed in to crash the ball to the back of the net. More thrills were to follow. In a minute McAlpine got away to whisk ball over to Templeton who scored with a brilliant ground shot, from near the eighteen yards' line, Blackwell making a great but unsuccessful effort to save, but he had no chance.
In the later stages of the game Aberdeen settled down to play what on the heavy ground was wonderful football. Miller and Thomson had a brilliant run, which culminated in Newton saving brilliantly from the Aberdeen centre forward, and on another occasion the goalkeeper blocked a hard drive by Middleton. There was more goal-scoring, but it was "unofficial" Miller finding the net off a neat pass by Rankine, but the point was disallowed on the ground that the scorer was offside.

Dramatic Finish.

The amateurs were seldom dangerous, although Blackwell twice was called upon to save from Templeton and Fyfe, but generally the attack was held at bay by the stalwart Aberdeen defence. Near the end MacLachlan strained himself in a great effort to dispossess J. McDonald, but he refused to leave the field with the game in such a critical stage, and before end he had recovered. Aberdeen came near to increasing their lead on eve of the final whistle. Sneddon missed his kick in front of goal, and Bainbridge was about to shoot into the net when full-time was signalled.
It was a hard, stern struggle, much more evenly contested than the first encounter at Pittodrie. On this occasion the teams alternately sustained periods of attacking superiority, and the qualities of two sets of unflinching defenders were brought out to the full by what was really smart forward play. Aberdeen's superiority became most apparent after Queen's Park scored. Then it was that the force seemed to marshall together, and, showing the team spirit, their fast play was wonderfully accurate. In the closing stages of the game the exchanges were no less keen, but the pace slackened perceptibly through the sheer exhaustion of the players. Aberdeen can take credit for the victory, because it was well deserved. In the forward line, especially, there was a 100 per cent improvement on the form shown in the last encounter, for they were dangerous every time they got near Newton's goal.

Aberdeen Players.

All the Aberdeen players threw themselves into the conflict with a whole-heartedness that would not be denied. Blackwell was again brilliant in goal, his save of the penalty-kick being a wonderful performance, and his anticipation was perfect. Hutton was a host at back, and his sure tackling and hefty first-time kicking did much to take the fire out of the Hampden attack. A. R. Grosert, considering that he has only recently recovered from a month's indisposition from influenza, and had only trained on two occasions since, was wonderful. He was often outpaced by the speedy right winger of the Queen's Park, but he played with his head, and opponents got no second chance from him.
Wright, Milne, and MacLachlan were all on the top of their game, and to their ability to keep the ball low can be attributed much of the success of the forwards. Wright had many artistic touches, enough of which are not generally seen in cup-ties, and between him and Hutton, the Amateurs' left wing was well held. Milne and MacLachlan were great spoilers and workers, who appeared to revel in the heavy going. The forwards gave a bright display. They moved very fast, and their short, accurate passing, alternated with many clever individual efforts, caused them to move smoothly and they shot much oftener than has been the case in many recent games. If two were to be picked out, as excelling above the others, it would be Thomson and Rankine, each of whom in different ways was very effective and clever. Miller had both goals to his credit, and the fact that he actually had the ball in the net a third time suggests a return to form. He opened out the game well, and figured largely in the sustained passing bouts which were a big factor in the success of the team. Middleton was always prominent when on the ball, and made the most of his opportunities, and if not so effective, Bainbridge did much that was clever. It was the three inside players, however, who bore the brunt of the attack.

Queens Park Players.

Queen's Park proved themselves a smart side, whose defeat was a meritorious performance on the part of the Aberdeen team. They occasionally came away with terrific bursts of pressure, but were weak where Aberdeen was strong - in front of goal. Newton maintained his Pittodrie reputation, but Sneddon and Davies, while capital defenders, were not quite so sound as in the last game. Of the half-backs, Gillespie was again outstanding, but Pirie and Dickson were only slightly less conspicuous. J. McDonald, a Strollers player who figured at outside right, was the best of the Amateur's forwards. He showed tremendous speed, and crossed accurately. McAlpine was often prominent, but his form was patchy, and Templeton was the best of an inside trio that could make little of the Aberdeen defence at the critical time after executing clever play in midfield.
The receipts exclusive of entertainments tax and stand drawings, amounted to £660.

The result gave the greatest, satisfaction in Aberdeen, and on their arrival home last night the players were enthusiastically cheered a crowd numbering several thousands.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 15th February 1922

Queens Park Teamsheet
J. Newton; Sneddon, S. H. Davies; T. Pirie, R. Gillespie, H. Dickson; A. McDonald, D. Templeton, A. Fyfe, J. G. McDonald, J. McAlpine
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: J. Bell, Dundee
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead