Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clyde 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)

21/02/1922 | KO:


The outstanding feature in the game at Shawfield Park, Glasgow, between Clyde and Aberdeen, was the brilliant display given by Blackwell, the Aberdeen goalkeeper. In the second half, when the Clyde attack was at its best, Blackwell saved his side from a heavy defeat. The play in the first half was poor, and at half-time neither team had scored. Seventeen minutes after the restart, Fleming got his head to a cross from Thomson, and opened the scoring. In the last minute of the game Brown, after beating the Aberdeen backs, gave Blackwell no chance with a fast rising shot. Attendance, 3000.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd February 1922

Really brilliant goalkeeping by Blackwell was the feature of the Scottish League match at Shawfield Park, Glasgow, yesterday, when Clyde defeated Aberdeen by 2 goals 0. After rain and snow, the pitch was greasy, and on a cold afternoon the attendance numbered less than 2000 although when the gates were thrown open to unemployed after the interval this was increased by 4000. With the exception of left-half, where Marshall substituted Barclay, Clyde had out their Cup-tie eleven, but Aberdeen had A. R. Grosert, Robertson, Fisher, and Grant for Hutton, MacLachlan, Thomson, and Bainbridge.
The result did not flatter the superiority of Clyde, and but for the fine exhibition of saving by Blackwell, the whole-hearted efforts of Milne, the occasional brilliance of Wright, and the clever defensive play of Forsyth, Aberdeen must have sustained a much more decisive defeat. As it was, the result suggests that, had the Pittodrie team been at full strength, the verdict would probably have been reversed. Except for about quarter of an hour in the first half, when the policy of first-timing was adopted, Aberdeen were always struggling against defeat, but if it would not be correct to say they were not trying, it could be said they did not take many risks, and the impression given the onlooker was that they were reserving themselves for the great event ?the Cup-tie with Dundee on Saturday. That Clyde did not lead at the interval was very largely due to the faulty efforts at finishing by their forwards. They repeatedly attacked, but often when in good position shot wildly. Near the interval Blackwell did well to tip a shot from McClure over the bar, and twice had clever saves at close range from Thompson and Duncan. In the period Shingleton was not called upon to save a single direct, shot, but Milne, Wright, and Miller had creditable tries which came near to counting.

Blackwell's Goalkeeping.

There was a different tale in the second half when the Clyde attack developed a strong punch. Milne and Forsyth made valiant efforts, but they could not prevent Blackwell's charge being repeatedly assailed. In the period the Aberdeen goalkeeper had many brilliant - even miraculous -clearances from long, short, and even point-blank range, and there was a time when the play developed more or less into a duel between the Clyde attack and the young Englishman. He saved from all the forwards, and Brown got through, but Blackwell practically caught the ball as it left the Clyde forward's boot, and saved at point-blank range from Fleming and Duncan. At the end of fourteen minutes Thompson got possession to lob the ball accurately to Fleming who, from close in, counted with an unsaveable header. After that the home forwards were seldom clear of the Aberdeen goal, Blackwell continuing to give a brilliant exhibition which elicited admiration from the spectators. Twice he saved hard drives from Thompson, and booted efforts by Fleming and Forrest were also negatived as the result of his grand anticipation. Aberdeen occasionally got away, but their efforts were spasmodic and ill-sustained. Rankine and Miller twice spooned from fairly easy position, and the only shot that caused Shingleton any trouble was one from Miller, who had worked out to the right. The Clyde attack was never long out of touch with Blackwell, who shot out his foot to deflect what was a certain scoring shot by Thompson. He fielded high balls from Rae and McClure, and on two occasions saved at point blank range from Brown, once by clutching the ball, and on the other occasion by rushing out to meet the forward and blocking the shot, after the defence had been left behind. It looked as if Blackwell would defy all the Clyde efforts to add to their score, until in the last minute of the game Brown got away on a bewildering dribble. He beat all opposition, and when a few yards from Blackwell, shot with great force. Even then the keeper got his hands to the ball, but was only able to knock it against the top of the net. As the teams left the field the Aberdeen goalkeeper received a great ovation from the occupants of the stand, who showed their appreciation of his masterly display.

Weak Aberdeen Attack.

There was little that could be said to be convincing about the play of Clyde, who on this occasion knocked up against an Aberdeen team that was nearly always at sixes and sevens. Blackwell's magnificent goalkeeping was the redeeming feature of the match. His perfect judgement and wonderful anticipation were always in evidence, and saved his side a heavier defeat. Forsyth played resourcefully at back, and Milne was always an outstanding defender. The attack never got into working order, and was very seldom dangerous.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 22nd February 1922

Clyde Teamsheet
Shingleton; Cullen, Graham; Rae, Forrest, Marshall; McClure, Fleming, Brown, Duncan, Thomson
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: W. Bell, Hamilton
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead