Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee

Scottish Cup Third Round
Aberdeen scorers: Miller 20, Bainbridge 82, Wright 89 (Pen).

25/02/1922 | KO:


Twenty-seven thousand spectators, paying £1400 exclusive of tax, saw Aberdeen defeat Dundee by 3 goals to nothing at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen. A special train conveyed over one thousand Dundee supporters to the match. On play, Aberdeen deserved their victory. The wonder was that the goal record was not much greater. Apart altogether from the misfortunes which befell Dundee - and their luck was decidedly out when they had to carry on for a period with only nine men - the bigger and stronger home eleven had the match well in hand, especially after Miller had scored twenty minutes after the start. Troup tried hard to secure the equaliser, and centred brilliantly on several occasions, but he was too well watched by Wright and Hutton. The unfortunate accident to Dundee's left back, Thomson, occurred before the close of the first half. In some exciting play round the Dundee goal, McLachlan sent in a shot which struck the cross-bar. As the ball rebounded, Miller sent it forward with great force. Thomson's head prevented Aberdeen scoring on that occasion, but the Dundee player dropped on the ground, and had to be assisted off the field to the pavilion. He was unable to resume, and it was feared that serious injury had been done to one of his eyes. Dundee's defence in the second half was brilliant, Fotheringham in goal excelling himself. Bainbridge got Aberdeen's second goal eight minutes from the call of time, and in the last minutes MacLachlan again scored, but that was disallowed as the referee's whistle had just been sounded for a "penalty." Fotheringham did his best to prevent scoring, but Wright's drive was sure. Dr Milne was a leader in Aberdeen's first-rate half-back line. For thrills and fast play the match was recognised as one of the best seen at Pittodrie Park for many a day.

Source: The Scotsman, 27th February 1922

A crowd which was a record for Pittodrie Park saw Aberdeen beat their great rivals Dundee by 3 goals to 0, and thereby qualify for the fourth round of the Scottish Cup competition, in, which they are the only survivors from the north and east. Throughout the game was fought at a terrific pace, and the spectators, who included large contingents from Dundee and from the north, south, and west, were often thrilled to the greatest pitches of excitement and enthusiasm. The fortunes of war were against Dundee in respect of casualties, and to that can be attributed the decisive nature of their defeat. Yet Aberdeen, once they had opened the scoring, gave the impression that they were always winning, and if Dundee were unlucky so far as injuries to players were concerned, they were fortunate not to have a bigger score recorded against them.
It is officially announced that the number of persons who paid tor admission was 26,577, and 1400 including season and complimentary ticketholders, the total was 28,000.
The receipts, inclusive of stand drawings and Entertainments Tax, amounted to £1621.

Dramatic First Goal.

What a pace was set and maintained until the end. In the earlier stages, play took the form of alternate raids by the opposing attacks, and in these opening minutes, the teams and the form confirmed all that had and written about their being well-matched. The game was only minutes old when Miller, the Aberdeen centre forward, came into violent contact with Nicol the Dundee centre-half. Both were cut on the head and were stunned, but while Miller was able to continue, Nicol had to retire for five minutes to have his injury dressed. During his absence both teams successively attacked with great vigour. Blackwell threw himself full length at the bottom of the upright to save a brilliant shot by Troup. Nicol returned at a time when his team was being hard pressed, and his brilliant headword was the principal factor that kept Aberdeen from scoring. At the end of twenty minutes Bainbridge sent a ground pass into the centre , and Fotheringham and Miller rushed for it. The players came into violent contact, and Miller was just able to scrape the ball to the side, and it rolled slowly across the empty goal to find the net just behind the upright. The reverse spurred on Dundee to greater effort, and on two occasions centres by Troup had the home goal in danger. Defence prevailed, however, and the Aberdeen forwards again took up the attack. Miller, who was always conspicuous, cut out to the right, and his hard drive was blocked by "Napper" Thomson. The Dundee defence was seen to advantage at this stage, when there was no shaking off of the persistent Aberdeen attackers. Nicol, Raitt, and Thomson, with head or feet, repeatedly thwarted splendid efforts by the home players. For a period the Dundee goal underwent a terrific bombardment. Fotheringham fisted away from Middleton, and shots by the three Aberdeen inside forwards were luckily blocked in front of a crowded goal. Thomson, Milne, and Miller all had shots which just missed by inches and at this period how the goal escaped further downfall was nothing short of miraculous.

Famous Player Hurt.

Off a free kick by MacLachlan, the ball hit the Dundee crossbar and rebounded to Miller, who volleyed with terrific force. The ball, which otherwise would have found the net, struck Thomson, Dundee's international half-back, full in the face, and he collapsed immediately. After recovering, the internationalist had to be assisted off, and was unable to resume, a medical examination revealing serious injury to one of his eyes. Following the departure of the back, the game continued to be one-sided, and Miller, who was always a menace to the visitors' defence, twice just missed the mark with, hard drives. On one occasion Miller drove hard from the right of the goal and Fotheringham saved at full length, and as Bainbridge rushed in the custodian drew the ball clear of his foot. Near the interval, from an accurate centre by Bainbridge, Miller headed high, and later an express shot delivered from the left by Miller just missed scoring. Dundee frequently broke away, but apart from a high centre by Ross, Blackwell was not seriously tested. Aberdeen?s narrow lead at the interval scarcely did them justice, for they had proved much the superior team in attack and defence.

Dundee Reorganise.

In so far as injuries to players was concerned Dundee were just as unfortunate in the second half as in the earlier period. They resumed without their left back, and a rearrangement was made, Nicol falling back and Thompson going to centre-half. It took Aberdeen some time to beat down the offside tactics that were adopted at the start, but once this was accomplished the play developed one-sidedness. Forcing work by Miller brought out the first "corner" of the game, and following it Fotheringham effected a brilliant save from Rankine's terrific shot. Another flag kick quickly followed, but, the danger was averted by Nicol, who, despite his head injury, played a brilliant defensive game. Raitt, the Dundee right back, and the Aberdeen inside right, collided and both required trainers' attention. Following upon this there was a stoppage on account of injuries to players. Halliday, the Dundee attack leader, who made many efforts to retrieve the fortunes of his side, was hurt in collision with Hutton, and then Fotheringham required trainer's attention, having injured himself in saving from Miller. The Dundee goalkeeper subsequently was the saviour of his side in a succession of exciting incidents at his goal. He saved a great shot from Bainbridge, and followed this up with another wonderful clearance from Miller.

Superb Half-Back Play.

At this stage the Aberdeen half-backs dominated the game. They gripped the Dundee attack as in a vice and never failed to ply their own forwards. Raitt, the Dundee back, collapsed, but after attention, and although limping, he continued to put up a determined resistance. Unfortunately, Dundee were forced to again alter the formation of their team. Raitt moved to outside right, and Ross fell back to the defence, while Bird and Cowan changed places in the attack The changes did not make for improvement. On one occasion Bird tried a shot long range, but the ball wnr high over, and Blackwell was not tested.

Belated Goals.

Eight minutes from the end Aberdeen obtained a well-deserved and overdue second goal. Rankine carried the ball along the left, and although harassed got over his centre. Middleton headed in, and the ball rebounded to Bainbridge, who practically walked it into the net. Play continued to be all in favour of Aberdeen and but for grand goalkeeping by Fotheringham, Miller would have increased the lead. In the last minute of the game Aberdeen got a well-deserved third goal. Bainbridge dribbled towards goal, and although tripped in the penalty area, managed to part to MacLachlan, who scored with a terrific shot just as the whistle blew for a penalty award. The goal was disallowed, but Wright, who was entrusted with the penalty kick, gave Fotheringham no chance to save.

A Popular Victory. Considering that the side was disorganised owing to mishaps to players, Dundee put up a magnificent fight, but after the first fifteen minutes they never were a match for the winners, who gave their best exhibition of football seen at Pittodrie this season. Aberdeen were sound in all departments, and the team did not carry a single passenger. The defence was superb, the work of the half-backs especially being brilliant, and the forwards played with a dash and harmony that would not be denied. Dundee were splendidly served by Fotheringham, who saved his team from an overwhelming defeat. He got great assistance from Raitt, Thomson, and Nicol, but after the opening stages the forwards were out of gear, and could never get away from the stalwart Aberdeen half-backs. Mr. J. B. Stevenson, Motherwell, who was referee, handled the game with great firmness, and his decisions gave the utmost satisfaction to all parties.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 27th February 1922

Dundee Teamsheet
Fotheringham; D. Thomson, Raitt; Jackson, Nicol, G. W. Thomson; Ross, Cowan, Halliday, Bird, Troup
Attendance: 28,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. B. Stevenson, Motherwell