Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Inverness CT 1 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Inverness CT 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Inverness CT scorers: L Doumbouya (15)
Aberdeen scorers: McLean 28, Rooney 29 (Pen), McLean 89.

19/11/2016 | KO: 15:00

McLean Double Puts Highlanders To The Sword

Derek McInnes named an unchanged side to the one that beat Partick Thistle on the road two weeks ago. Again the Dons played in their black kit and white socks. Ash Taylor returned from injury for a seat on the bench but Wes Burns did not travel because of an injury. Wes is still expected to be fit for the cup final next weekend.

In the second minute an early free kick for ICT allowed Vigurs to put the ball into the area with his left foot but Considine made an easy clearance. A minute later McLean hit a decent shot after good quick passing and Fon Williams was relieved to grab the ball at the second attempt.

Two minutes later a mistake at the back after a really poor ball from Ross Draper gave the visitors a great chance. They had a two on two but James Maddison's pass for Stockley was over hit and the ball went harmlessly out of play. James' reaction told you how good an opportunity it was. A minute later his mood did not get any better when Carl Tremarco flattened the Englishman. The Inverness left back was lucky to escape a booking.

Aberdeen then worked a couple of good openings but the ball in from Hayes failed to beat the first man and then Shinnie's cross from the left was too strong.

On nine minutes a Maddison free kick from a good thirty yards hit the wall. Then after good battling play by Jack, it allowed Maddison to get a shot away, Fon Williams just managed to push the ball clear and behind for the first corner. Maddison then set up Stockley after a neat run but the strikers shot was well blocked.

It was encouraging that Maddison was getting on the ball and finding space.

But then after fifteen minutes the home side scored with their first attack. A nice ball in from Ross Draper was headed home by Doumbouya. It was a well placed header but a poor goal from Aberdeen's point of view after they had carelessly lost possession.

The visitors responded quickly and a Hayes cross in front of the defence found Stockley but his shot, which was on target, was well blocked. On 20 minutes three Aberdeen crosses, one from a Maddison free kick, were very well defended. After 24 minutes a Hayes cross at pace deserved better but it went beyond everyone and Logan at the back post could only put the ball out for a goal kick.

The home side had been lifted by the goal. They were closing down any black shirts very quickly.

On 26 minutes Maddison won a free kick twenty five yards out. James took the last one from this area but this time Kenny McLean curled the ball over the wall with his left foot and found the corner of the net after Fon Williams was slightly slow to react. A brilliant goal.

It was a really open game and on the break Maddison and Stockley very nearly created a chance.

On 31 minutes a great tackle by Considine set Hayes free. The winger got his head down and kept going all the way into the box. He invited a tackle from Gary Warren and it was a clear penalty when Hayes went to ground. Rooney took some verbal's and had to wait for a minute whilst the home players protested but showed great composure to find the corner of the net. It had to be right in the corner as the keeper had gone the right way.

Back came the home side who then enjoyed a good little spell. Doumbouya laid the ball off for Tremarco and his shot with the outside of his foot just went past Lewis' far post.

The game was now even more open and Aberdeen were looking very dangerous on the break. A great dummy from Maddison allowed Hayes space to run into. He played the ball to his left but Adam Rooney wasted a great chance when he went for goal instead of trying to Maddison who had taken up a great position.

In the 43rd minute a long shot from McLean almost crept into the corner but Fon Williams in the end made a fine save. A very entertaining and open first forty-five minutes.


Inverness put some pressure on at the start of the second half. The ball dropped for Billy King on the edge of the area but his shot was always off target. Then on the break a great chance for Aberdeen as Maddison set up Shinnie but the left back never got enough power into his shot.

On 52 minutes an Aberdeen corner produced a brilliant save from Fon Williams. Considine powered a header into the ground and the ball bounced up in front of the keeper. Despite seeing it late Williams managed to react and touch the ball over the bar.

The game was becoming more and more stretched and the next goal was going to be crucial.

King was booked for a foul on Hayes before Jonny made a great run that had defenders chasing shadows. His pace was too much but unfortunately so was his pass for Maddison. At times Aberdeen almost had too much time at the edge of the area and the players were overthinking their final pass.

After 65 minutes a real spell of pressure resulted in a superb first time effort from McLean which went inches over. Meekings before that had done very well to get in the way of a Maddison shot. A minute later Maddison was booked by Kevin Clancy when he was clipped on the edge of the area. His quick feet seemed to have drawn the foul but the referee saw it differently.

James almost had the last laugh on 70 minutes when a free kick shaved the outside of the post.

With thirteen minutes to go Stockley came off for McGinn and Taylor replaced Maddison. Brad McKay at the same time was stretchered off after a nasty collision with Shinnie. Thankfully the Inverness player was reported to be ok after the game. Whilst there was a delay Aberdeen changed their shape and Considine went to left back and Shinnie into midfield.

With just under ten minutes remaining Ross Draper made a great run into the area and in the end Logan just managed to deflect the ball behind for a corner.

Apart from that moment of concern Aberdeen managed the final stages very well and made the game safe with two minutes to go. On the break McLean played Hayes clear. Jonny did brilliantly to time the pass for Kenny who was coming up in support and he rolled the ball past Fon Williams.

The Dons could have added a forth after a great run from Hayes but they can be well pleased with their afternoon's work. With two very good away wins they could not be going into the final in any better form. The perfect preparation.
Inverness CT Teamsheet
Unused Subs: 01.Ryan Esson, 19.Scott Boden, 21.Alisdair Sutherland.

Bookings:  11.Iain Vigurs (54).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan, Shinnie (Reynolds 90), Considine, O'Connor, McLean, Hayes, Jack, Maddison (Taylor 75), Rooney, Stockley (McGinn 74).

Unused Subs: Pawlett, Morris, Alexander, Storey.

Bookings:  Maddison (68).
Attendance: 4,867
Venue: Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Referee: Kevin Clancy
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen