Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Stockley 72, Christie 92.

04/02/2017 | KO: 15:00

Super Subs Stockley & Christie Send Dons Second

Derek McInnes named an unchanged team to the side that were narrowly beaten at Celtic Park on Wednesday night. That is the seventh game in a row the same starting XI have played - the last time that happened was midway through the 1975-76 season.

Both sides spent the opening stages of the game trying to get used to the wind which was making it very difficult to play football. As a result the goalkeepers didn't have much to do in the first 10 minutes.

The first chance came after 11 minutes when Ash Taylor's long ball from defence was won in the air by Adam Rooney. Hayes got into it, nicely flicking the ball into the path of Kenny McLean. Kenny still had a lot to do to beat the two centre backs but managed to send a drive at goal which Cerny was forced to save. It was a well hit shot but straight at the keeper.

After 20 minutes the Dons came close again when Jonny Hayes crossed the ball into the box. Adam Rooney tried a spectacular overhead kick, but couldn't properly connect. The ball ran through to Andy Considine at the back post but he could only tap the ball towards Cerny.

Thistle to their credit came to play football, and were nearly ahead after 23 minutes when after a fine move Barton played in Christie Elliot who controlled the ball well but could not get any power in his shot. Niall McGinn deserves enormous credit for tracking the run and doing enough to put him off.

Aberdeen won their first corner on 26 minutes and from it had their best chance after 26 minutes when Niall McGinn's corner was well delivered from the right. Ash Taylor had a free header but couldn't divert the ball on target.

A couple of minutes later Kenny McLean had another chance to open the scoring, when he got in front of his man but couldn't turn the ball in at the front post from Hayes' cross.

Graeme Shinnie had a long shot saved from outside the box after 38 minutes, with Rooney unable to get onto the rebound. The Dons looked confident shooting from far out, and with the wind playing havoc with long shots it was a good ploy.

That was to be the last chance of the half with Aberdeen shading it on possession and attempts on goal, but Thistle played some decent football.

HT: Aberdeen 0-0 Partick Thistle

Conditions seemed to improve over the break, slightly, and Thistle had a great chance to go in front when

Edwards got on the end of a cross to the back post. The striker was under pressure from two red shirts, meaning he couldn't get the direction on his header needed but he really should have hit the target.

Graeme Shinnie then got to the by-line but from a promising position his cut back failed to find Rooney.

Of the two teams it was Thistle that made the more encouraging start to the half and the Aberdeen performance looked flat. The exertions of Wednesday night were catching up on some of the players and they could not get the tempo up.

With just over an hour gone Derek McInnes made a double change. And it was an extremely brave one. Stockley and Christie came on for Reynolds and Logan. A very attacking substitution consider Thistle were looking the more likely to score at this point.

Eventually Aberdeen went to a back three with Jonny and Niall playing as wing backs.

The Dons were needing to try and make something happen. After 70 minutes Hayes spun from wide on the left and hit a ferocious drive towards goal. Cerny pushed did well to get down and knock the ball behind. From the corner, Niall McGinn's in-swinger was met by the head of Jayden Stockley who was completely unmarked and powered the ball into the net. Relief amongst the fans as it was beginning to look like being one of those frustrating afternoons. Credit to Jayden for a fine header. Another assist for Niall and also Jonny deserves a mention for having a shot from distance which led to the goal.

Adam Rooney nearly doubled the lead two minutes later when a long ball forward allowed the Irishman through on goal. Rooney didn't have much ground on the defence and after heading the ball down was forced to shoot from early from far out. He spotted Cerny was off his line and his low shot almost sneaked past the keeper. Decent save in the end.

Thistle kept the pressure on when substitute Azeez floated past the Dons defence when a clearance from deep evaded everybody. The striker managed to get a shot away but it came off the outside of the post. He did well to create the chance but really should have scored.

The Dons boss made his final change with less than 10 minutes to go, bringing on Anthony O'Connor to bolster the defence. Off came Adam Rooney leaving Stockley up front on his own.

With five minutes left to play Thistle started to press higher. Cerny's free kick from the half way line made its way through to Azeez who made a hash of the shot from a tight angle when he should have squared it to a team mate.

The two previous meetings between the sides had seen the Dons hanging on in the closing stages and this one looked no different when four minutes of added time was signalled.

However, in the middle of stoppage time the Dons looked comfortable in possession and killed the game off when Jayden Stockley unselfishly flicked the ball across goal for fellow substitute Ryan Christie to finish a move he started. The on-loan Celtic man was dancing for joy with his first goal at Pittodrie. He has a fine game.

That was the last action of the game, with a nice patient display from the Dons giving them all three points in a very hard fought encounter.

The manager deserves huge praise for his tactic change. As does Ryan Jack who was outstanding this afternoon and was an obvious candidate for man of the match.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan (Logan 64), Taylor, Reynolds (Stockley 65), Considine, Shinnie, Hayes, Jack, McGinn, McLean, Rooney (O'Connor 87).

Unused Subs: Storey, Wright, Pawlett, Alexander.

Bookings:  Jack (40),  Considine (54).
Partick Thistle Teamsheet
01.Tomas Cerny, 02.Mustapha Dumbuya, 05.Liam Lindsay, 14.Christie Elliott, 15.Danny Devine, 06.Abdul Osman, 07.David Amoo (10.Christopher Erskine 73), 11.Steven Lawless, 13.Adam Barton, 19.Ryan Edwards (27.Kevin Nisbet 81), 09.Kris Doolan (16.Adebayo Azeez 59). Unused Subs: 04.Sean Welsh, 17.Niall Keown, 20.Jason Banton, 35.Mark Ridgers.
Attendance: 10,094
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Greg Aitken
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead