Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hamilton 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hamilton 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Quarter Final

11/03/1922 | KO:


A keen contest was seen at Hamilton in presence of about 16,000 spectators. There was little between the sides, and if the Academicals did most of the attacking the defence of the northerners was always strong. Blackwell did well in the Aberdeen goal. Aberdeen were without Miller, their centre-forward, and Wright, the half-back, took his place, Grosert coming into the half-back line. The replay is to take place on Wednesday.

Source: The Scotsman, 13th March 1922

Aberdeen are still interested in the Scottish Cup competition. In a gruelling game at Douglas Park, Hamilton, on Saturday, in the fourth round, they fought a goalless draw with the Academicals of that ilk, and the replay will take place at Pittodrie Park on Wednesday afternoon.

The weather was delightful?almost, summer-like? and the blazing sun was a greater adverse factor to the game than was the cooling breeze that prevailed. Despite a strong counter-attraction Motherwell, only two miles away, there were 16,000 spectators, including a contingent of over 100 who travelled from the Granite City. Aberdeen were at the disadvantage of having to make a last-minute change, Miller being indisposed, and his place at centre-forward being taken by Wright, A. Grosert, appearing at right half back. The Academicals fielded the identical side that defeated Celtic in the preceding round.
Winning the toss, MacLachlan sent Aberdeen to face the breeze, but the home team had to contend with a glaring sun. Right from the start the exchanges were keen, and after opening rallies by both sets of forwards had been repulsed, the game resolved itself into a grim, dour, typical cup-tie struggle, in which the finer points of the game were seldom in evidence. McLaren and Cottingham were first to have the Aberdeen goal in danger, but Hutton cleared, and at the other end White had to hold a headed try by Rankine. Gradually the homo forwards took up the running, and after McMillan had sent past, Blackwell brought off a fine save from McLaren. Aberdeen were hard pressed for a time, but Milne, Hutton and Forsyth were resolute defenders. Clever play by Thomson enabled Wright to shoot from close range, but White was able to deflect the ball for a fruitless flag-kick, which was followed by an exciting scrimmage in front of the home goal.
Aberdeen were repeatedly pulled up for off-side, and the game for a time resolved itself into a duel between the Aberdeen defence and the home attack. Blackwell effected a brilliant save at close range from Bell, when that player took the ball on the drop from a cross by Hamilton. McMillan, the home inside left, was hurt in a collision with Milne, and had to retire for the remainder of the first half. Subsequently the Academicals accounted for the bulk of the pressure, but they could make nothing of a defence which conceded nothing. On one occasion McLaren got through, and actually netted, but, an infringement for "hands" negatived the goal. Towards the interval the Aberdeen forwards came more into prominence, and Bainbridge shot badly from what was a favourable position.

Exciting Second Half.

In the second period, when play was even more ragged than in the first, the Academicals were at full strength, McMillan being able to resume. The game continued on similar lines, both teams playing with great determination, and their efforts at times often led to stoppages for injuries to players, while there was a tendency on both sides to a robustness which did not breed the best feeling between the teams. One of the best scoring chances of the game came to Aberdeen when Wright got away, and outpacing the backs, shot too quickly, and the ball passed over the goal. Play again took a turn in favour of the Academicals, and once Bell with only Blackwell to beat completely missed his kick. The adoption of offside tactics by the Hamilton backs had a disconcerting effect on the Aberdeen forwards, and many promising moves were nullified through their failure to take cognisance of their position.
At times the players threw themselves into the fray with an abandon that treated risk with contempt, and frequently the referee had to administer words of caution. Bainbridge headed a raid on the home goal, but he was easily stalled off, and at the other end Blackwell had to rush out and clear with three opponents rushing in. He only- regained his goal in time to stop a fast grounder from Bell, who might have scored but for hesitating. The Aberdeen forwards made spasmodic raids, and in one of these Milne shot; but his direction was wrong, and Thomson had a try which had a similar result. Near the end the Academicals made desperate efforts to avoid a replay, but the Aberdeen defence was staunch. Hanlon endeavoured to wriggle through, but clung too long on the ball, and was dispossessed by Hutton. In the last half-minute of the game, following a dropping centre by Bell, Hanlon shot, narrowly over the Aberdeen goal, and a stirring contest resulted in a goalless draw.
The honours of the game went to the Aberdeen defence, which never wavered in the face of repeated onslaughts. Blackwell kept goal in great style, and Hutton was brilliant at back. The half-backs and inside forwards played a stirring defensive game, Milne and A. R. Grosert, being outstanding. The forwards never really got settled down, and lacked backing. The Academicals were a fast, and nippy side whose efforts brought out the sterling work of the Aberdeen defence. White, Kerr, and Hunter were a strong rear trio, and Hall and Steel were prominent in the half-back line. Of the forwards, whose outfield play was much ahead of their finishing, Hanlon, McLaren, and Cottingham were best,.

Replay on Wednesday

The replay will take place at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, on Wednesday, the kick-off will be at 4:30 p.m.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 13th March 1922

Hamilton Teamsheet
White; Kerr, Hunter; Steel, Hall, Thomson; Hanlon, Cottingham, McLaren, McMillan, Bell
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Douglas Park, Hamilton
Referee: G. W. Hamilton, Kilbirnie
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride