Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 0 - 7 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 0 - 4 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Considine 17, Rooney 24, McLean 35, Considine 38, Jack 51, McGinn 72, Considine 82.

31/03/2017 | KO: 19:45

Yes Sir, He Can Boogie!

Aberdeen were unchanged from the side that beat Hearts before the break. Both Jonny Hayes and Niall McGinn had returned from international duty unscathed. Jayden Stockley was suspended so Bruce Anderson was rewarded for his performances at U20 level recently with a place on the bench.

The game kicked off in perfect conditions with the pitch looking excellent. It was Dundee, who have a decent home record this season, who forced the first corner within the second minute after Mark O'Hara had a shooting chance but O'Connor did well to block his shot. The corner was comfortably cleared.

A few minutes later a Considine interception allowed Rooney to play the ball into the path of McLean but his low shot was easily saved by Bain. A dangerous cross from the left then led to the Dons first corner. Aberdeen shortly after forced a second corner, a well worked move saw Jack play over a dangerous ball which then led to a third corner. This time McGinn's ball in found Considine who had a free header but could not find the target. A really good chance. He should have scored.

Backed by a really vocal Dons support Aberdeen then forced a fourth corner within the first ten minutes but the whistle went for an infringement.

Dundee then created an opening down the left after the Dons had given away cheap possession in the middle of the park. Full back Holt had time and space to pick out a blue shirt in the area but Taylor did well to cut out his options. From the resulting corner O'Hara met the ball at the near post but could not direct the ball on target.

On 15 minutes Shinnie had a shot from distance which went well past. He had options either side of him. A minute later Shinnie, with a few words from the manager still ringing in his ears, this time he elected to play in Rooney who won a fifth corner. Hayes played a great ball in and Considine directed a header past Bain into the net. Aberdeen had the vital first goal. Questions of the Dundee defence as it was another free header for Andy, but his movement inside the area was good.

It was almost two on 17 minutes. McGinn down the left played an early ball looking for Rooney. His first time flick across Bain forced the Dundee keeper to dive full length and although there was not much pace on the ball it was directed well enough, Bain made a good save.

It was not all one way traffic at this stage. Paul Hartley's side worked the ball into good areas on a couple of occasions but the final pass was lacking.

On 24 minutes a good passing move resulted in Logan putting over a drilled cross with his left foot which Rooney headed past Bain into the net. It looked a simple goal but it was a piece of real quality. Adam's 18th goal of the season, a really good header.

Dundee had looked well set up defending in numbers then hitting on the break, but the second goal would force them to open up. The home then got in behind the Dons defence, not for the first time, O'Hara had three men to pick out in the area but pulled the ball back behind them and Shinnie gratefully received it and hammered clear.

On the half hour mark delightful play between McLean and Shinnie saw Kenny put over a cross but it was just over hit. The midfielder is playing with so much confidence at the moment, he is a joy to watch.

On 33 minutes it was three. Another great move with brilliant movement. A long ball by Lewis was flicked on by Rooney in the air. The ball was played into Adam's path and he fed. Shinnie who picked the ball up on the edge of the area. Graeme showed great vision to play it wide to McLean who had popped up on the right wing and was completed unmarked. Kenny had time and looked to open up his body so he could get the ball onto his left side but then got his head down and hammered and right footed shot across Bain into the net. If ever a player deserved a goal this season it was Kenny.

The international break had obviously done the Dons a world of good, they were playing with so much energy and Dundee could not cope with the high tempo.

Five minutes later the Dons had a fourth. Another nice passing move, another assist for Shinnie and another goal for Consdine. Logan played the ball back to Shinnie who looped over a cross and Considine coming in at the back post headed home from close range.

It could have been five when McGinn put over a cross. There were three red shirts waiting for the ball but O'Dea managed to intercept. Another corner was unconvincingly cleared before brilliant wing play by Logan set up a shooting chance for McGinn but he blasted over. The Dundee defence was all at sea and in amongst all of that

Aberdeen might have had a penalty in amongst all that but referee Alan Muir, who also refereed the Dons 7-2 win over Motherwell, blew for half time.

A quite outstanding first 45.

HT. Dundee 0-7 Aberdeen

During the interval Dundee brought on Ojamaa and Wighton. Ojamaa looked lively and in the opening minutes and set up a chance for El Bakhtaoui. His shot just went past the post. Once Aberdeen got to grips with the new tactics from their opponents they started to knock the ball about with a real purpose.

On 51 minutes superb skill from Hayes. He could have played it to McGinn but cut inside himself and dinked a delightful ball into space for the unmarked Ryan Jack. The skipper took a touch before firing a low shot past the onrushing Scott Bain, the ball hit the post and landed in the net.

With the game over Aberdeen really were knocking the ball about with confidence and McLean, Hayes and McGinn were playing with a freedom that allowed them to show some delightful pieces of skill. Dundee then forced a couple of corners. Derek McInnes was very unhappy that Gomis had made a run to the near post untracked. He was very keen that the Dons keep a clean sheet.

On the hour Kenny McLean, who had just fired a shot over the bar, was withdrawn and replaced by Ryan Christie, who has a good scoring record on this ground. Kenny got a standing ovation from the red army. With a game on Tuesday and then Sunday, ideal that the manager could keep Kenny fresh.

With twenty five minutes to go the tempo was still very high from Aberdeen who were really enjoying the match. There was still a real crispness about their passing.

On 66 minutes a lengthy passing move resulted in Christie firing just over. Then Scott Wright replaced Jonny Hayes.

With twenty minutes to go Aberdeen stepped it up a gear again and on 73 minutes they got a sixth. Ryan Christie was heavily involved in the original move. Scott Wright played a through ball, Adam Rooney then nicked in to win a loose ball, Ryan picked it up and fired a low ball across the box and Kevin Gomis, under pressure from Niall McGinn, turned it into his own net.

Dundee then won a series of corners. The Dons defence though were determined to keep a clean sheet. The home sides frustration boiled over when Cammy Kerr took out Shinnie with a very late tackle. The Aberdeen players were not impressed. Kerr became the first player to be booked. It could easily have been a red.

With fifteen minutes to go Niall McGinn was replaced by Frank Ross. Both Scott and Frank look more and more like first team players every time you see them involved.

Dundee won some more corners which the Dons broke quickly from. On one occasion Ash Taylor was one on one with the last defender after a great run! That would have ended an incredible night in style but there was to be an even better finish?.

The 2495 Aberdeen fans were desperate for Considine to get his hat-trick and had been calling for him to shoot throughout the second half. With five minutes to go they won a free kick over on the right. Christie took it, produce a superb free delivery which Taylor flicked on and Considine slid in to beat Bain with a low shot. The Aberdeen end exploded with joy.

The perfect finish to a perfect night.
Dundee Teamsheet
01.Scott Bain, 03.Kevin Holt, 06.Darren O'Dea, 30.Cameron Kerr, 55.Kevin Gomis, 04.James Vincent, 07.Tom Hateley (33.Craig Wighton 46), 14.Mark O'Hara, 17.Nicholas Ross (22.Henrik Ojamaa 46), 18.Paul McGowan, 20.Faissal El Bakhtaoui. Unused Subs: 11.Danny Williams, 12.David Mitchell, 23.Marc Klok, 45.Daniel Higgins.

Bookings:  30.Cameron Kerr (81).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan, Shinnie, Considine, Taylor, McLean (Christie 61), Rooney, McGinn (Ross 77), Hayes (Wright 69), O'Connor, Jack.

Unused Subs: Pawlett, Anderson, Storey, Alexander.
Attendance: 7,314
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: Alan Muir
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen