Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Inverness CT

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Inverness CT

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Warren (OG) 22.
Inverness CT scorers: 03.Carl Tremarco (66), 13.William McKay (40).

04/04/2017 | KO: 19:45

10 Home Wins on the Trot as Thistle Tamed

As expected, Aberdeen's starting XI was unchanged from the side that put seven past Dundee On Friday night. Inverness arrived with the Dons latest signing starting in their midfield. Greg Tansey's name was cheered by the Red Army when the teams were read out before the match. He will make the switch from the Highlands to Pittodrie in the summer.

Another interesting addition to the Caley side was full back Kevin McNaughton who started his career with the Dons. Kevin moved to Cardiff over a decade ago, this was his first time back at his old ground.

The Dons settled into the game quickly and were playing some nice one touch football as well as showing a lot of confidence on the ball. The first chance came after two minutes when Jonny Hayes took off up the pitch spreading the ball wide for Niall McGinn, but he was ruled offside as he got his shot away. McGinn was involved again shortly afterwards cutting the ball back for Hayes in the middle who could have shot first time instead of taking a touch. The danger was averted.

Niall had a great headed chance after 10 minutes, when Hayes floated a ball towards him but he also took a touch instead of shooting first time with his left foot. The midfield trio of McLean, Hayes and McGinn were playing with great confidence and were spreading the ball around freely.

But then Caley fashioned a great chance to take the lead after a Dons attack came to nothing. Polworth got the break of the ball gliding last Graeme Shinnie. Graeme was chasing all the way but he managed to slip the ball through to Billy Mckay who was denied from close range by Joe Lewis. A very good save.

Shinnie had a go himself after 22 minutes and nearly saw his shot creep in at the right side of the post. The ball took a deflection on its way through, with Hayes taking the resulting corner. Jonny's neat cross to the front post was tapped in from six yards. There was some confusion over who got the final touch. Ash Taylor half claimed it, as did Andy Considine. Although the goal was originally given to Taylor, the referee confirmed at half-time it was actually a Gary Warren own goal. All three players also confirmed after the game that Gary had the final touch.

More importantly, the Dons were ahead.

The Dons nearly doubled their advantage after 27 minutes when Adam Rooney tried to glance a header in from deep inside the box. It never made its way through so Ryan Jack fired the rebound towards goal, only to be denied by some great defending.

Despite the continued pressure, Inverness were nearly level when Anier's driven cross was helped on by Tansey, but he could only send the ball over the bar. The cross was just slightly behind Greg.

It was becoming end to end stuff, with Jonny Hayes shooting from wide on the right. Warren managed to deflect it over the bar for a corner, with Ash Taylor failing to find the target with his header. The Dons are looking really dangerous from set plays at the moment.

Ash is another man who is full of confidence, which he demonstrated with some nimble footwork in his own half to fend off the advances of three opposition players.

With less than five minutes to go, Aberdeen had a great chance on the break when Hayes played Niall McGinn in. Niall danced through a couple of players inside the box, letting fly across goal only for Tremarco to deflect the ball just past the post. McLean was in close attendance but could not get a touch. The Inverness full back Tremarco made a number of superb last ditch tackles or blocks.

Kenny McLean's volley from wide on the left was the final chance of the half, but he couldn't get the connection on it meaning it spun wide of the target.

HT Aberdeen 1 - 0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle

There was no great change in narrative at the start of the second half, with Aberdeen dominating possession and getting forward in numbers. Kenny McLean had the first couple of efforts with a shot which he dragged wide and a free kick which went into the wall.

Joe Lewis was called into action after 54 minutes when Polwarth drove a shot in from outside the box. Another very decent save. It was on target and was a message from Caley that they were still well in the game. At the other end, McGinn took on a direct free kick but it was a fraction to high.

Ryan Jack had a great chance after starting a move himself from inside his own half. The captain patiently played his way out of an isolated position. Some nice one touch football saw the Dons move quickly up the pitch. Ryan's cross was played back to him after Tremarco's clearance. His curled snap shot was just wide of the post.

The chances were being spread throughout the team and Shinnie was knocking on the door once again. Jonny Hayes shrugged off two defenders lifting a high cross into the box. Fon Williams parried Graeme's header back out to him, allowing Graeme to leap back to his feet and try another shot. His second effort hit a man on its way through. So close but Aberdeen could not force the all important second goal.

By now the pitch had cut up quick a bit and was making it difficult for the Dons players. There were also a few tired legs.

McGinn's last action of the evening came after 79 minutes, with a driving run forward followed by a shot over the bar. He was replaced by Ryan Christie shortly afterwards with Miles Storey also coming on for Adam Rooney as the manager tried to freshen things up.

Inverness had by now thrown on three attacking players and the game had become very stretched.

After 80 minutes Aberdeen missed a golden opportunity to make the game save. A Jonny Hayes cross got caught under the feet of Miles Storey on the goal line. After the free scoring performance at Dens Park, it was proving to be slightly more challenging evening.

It was a frantic end to the game with both teams proving their fitness and desire. It really was end to end and the reds had to dig deep. There were a few nervous moments during the three minutes of injury time, especially as Aberdeen kept giving the ball away, but the Dons defence held on for a fifth clean sheet in a row and a tenth win at home in a row. It was a deserved three points.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan, Considine, Taylor, O'Connor, Shinnie, McLean, Jack, Rooney (Storey 79), McGinn (Christie 80), Hayes.

Unused Subs: Pawlett, Wright, Ross, Anderson, Alexander.
Inverness CT Teamsheet
25.Owain Fon Williams, 02.David Raven, 03.Carl Tremarco, 04.Kevin McNaughton (18.Alex Fisher 86), 05.Gary Warren, 07.Liam Polworth, 08.Ross Draper (29.Larnell Cole 61), 16.Greg Tansey, 21.Louis Laing, 13.William McKay, 23.Henri Anier 09.Dean Ebbe 67). Unused Subs: 01.Ryan Esson, 12.Jamie McCart, 20.Billy King, 22.Brad McKay.
Attendance: 11,507
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Andrew Dallas
Next Match
23 Jul 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen