Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Rangers 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Rangers 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Rangers scorers: M Waghorn 61.
Aberdeen scorers: Shinnie 9, Christie 51.

17/05/2017 | KO: 19:45

Ibrox Hoodoo Put to Bed as Dons Triumph in Glasgow

Derek McInnes made two changes to the side which started against Celtic. Adam Rooney came in for Jayden Stockley whilst the suspended Jonny Hayes was replaced by Ryan Christie.

On a superb looking pitch the game kicked off in warm conditions. There was an early chance for Joe Dodoo inside the first minute in the area but Joe Lewis was off his line very quickly to save the day. In the fourth minute Shinnie picked the ball up on the inside left channel. He played it wide to McGinn, but his cross was over hit. The Dons had good numbers inside the area. A minute later Christie had a chance to deliver in a good area but his ball was also too strong. A Shay Logan cross was well defended by Tavernier before a long ball almost caused a problem for young centre half Aidan Wilson.

The Dons had settled well and in the ninth minute Aberdeen took the lead. A poor kick out by Wes Foderingham looked to have been recovered by Tavernier who headed the ball infield but Shinnie very quickly put pressure on the Rangers midfield and got the break of the ball. He knocked it wide to Considine who played it forward and McGinn produced a superb touch to lay the ball into the path of Shinnie who had continued his run. As two Rangers defenders collided with each other Shinnie burst into the box and fired a low shot past the Rangers keeper. A really good finish.

In the 10th minute Taylor cut out a Dodoo cross as the home side tried to respond.

On 14 minutes Niall McGinn won the first corner of the evening. A pre-planned move saw McGinn float the ball over to McLean on the edge of the area, his volley was well struck but the Rangers defence had time to get out and block.

A minute later more pressing up the field almost force a mistake - Kenny McLean was very nearly gifted the ball on the penalty spot. Then Ryan Christie looked to be taken down inside the area after another mistake but referee John Beaton waved play on. At first glance Ryan looked to have had his feet swiped from under him.

In the 17th minute Lee Hodson went off injured and was replaced by Myles Beerman. It was now a very inexperienced Rangers backline.

A minute later a mistake by Reynolds saw Kenny Miller get the break of the ball and out of nothing the former Scotland international was able to square the ball to the unmarked Joe Garner. The striker had plenty of time but curled a shot just wide of Lewis' left hand post. A let off for the Dons.

On 21 minutes a free kick in a central area landed at the feet of Taylor inside the area but the whistle went for a foul. The Dons then defended a free kick in a similar area and a corner. On 24 minutes O'Connor got on the end of a McGinn corner but he never got any direction on his header. Two minutes later Rangers had their second corner which Barrie McKay headed just wide.

On the half hour mark a Considine in swinger from deep was met by Rooney who had got in front of his marker but he could not get enough contact on the ball. A McLean cross then from the other side was cut out by Foderingham as Aberdeen continued to look dangerous.

On 35 minutes Josh Windass had a chance from a simple long ball over the top but his control let him down and Lewis was able to get out and smoother. Aberdeen looked in control but Rangers were still able to create a couple of openings in the first half.

After 37 minutes Christie almost created a goal when he picked the ball in the hole behind Rooney. He showed quick feet to drive into the area but was just crowded out by some desperate defending. A corner was then played short and worked between Christie and McGinn. O'Connor then played a diagonal which Considine knocked down for Taylor but his shot was brilliant saved by Foderingham. From the resulting corner there was an even better chance for Rooney but the striker scooped the ball over the bar from inside the six yard box. His snap shot was just too high. Two great chances for the Dons to get a second just before half time.

They were almost made to pay for missing those chances - from an Aberdeen corner Foderingham set up a quick break which resulted in McKay pulling a shot wide.

On 44 minutes a direct McGinn free kick produced another decent save from Foderingham. The ball was going right into the top hand corner. On the stroke of half time a McLean free kick was just too strong for Considine.
It was a comfortable first 45 minutes and the Dons should have been further ahead.

HT Rangers 0 Aberdeen 1

At half time Martyn Waghorn came on Joe Dodoo. What a chance at the start of the second half for the Dons. After making an interception they had a three on three. The ball was worked to McGinn but Foderingham forced him wide. The ball was then played to McLean who played it through to Rooney and his shot was blocked by the keeper. Aberdeen continued to dominate and Shinnie had a shot which just went over the bar. Rangers, who were trying to play the ball out of the back, could not cope with the Dons pressing game high up the pitch.
On 49 minutes Miller was booked for a cynical foul on McGinn who had beaten him for pace.

As the intense pressure continued, finally on 51 minutes the Dons got a deserved second goal. After sustained period of possession Considine on the edge of the area played it wide to McGinn who delivered a brilliant cross which Foderingham could only flick on. The ball hit off Beerman and Rooney showed great composure and reacted quickly to nod the ball back into the six yard box and Ryan Christie found the net with an equally good header.

Aberdeen were in full control.

On 56 minutes Considine produced a superb challenge just a Waghorn was about to turn home a cross. After 58 minutes Jon Toral was replaced by Jamie Barjonas. Then on the hour mark Rangers pulled a goal back. After losing the ball high up the field Windass played a neat through ball for Waghorn and the substitute chipped the ball over Lewis with a good finish.

All of sudden the atmosphere changed around the ground and Rangers players had an extra spring in their step. The Dons actually did well to quieten things down for the next five minutes by slowly regaining control in the middle of the park.

On 67 minutes Adam Rooney was replaced by Jayden Stockley. Straight away Jayden was involved and his flick on was met by McGinn who volley just over. It was a great effort from Niall who had a major hand in the two goals. On 73 minutes McKay should have booked for talking a dive inside the area. Rangers then won a corner even although the flag had gone up for offside.

After 77 minutes Taylor did really well to head clear after the first real spell of intense Rangers pressure. A side from that the Aberdeen players had kept them at arms-length all evening.

On 83 minutes Stockley unluckily gave the ball away which caught the Dons defenders out of position and Rangers broke. Considine recovered the situation but was penalised for a really soft foul on Garner. Thankfully the Dons saw out the dangerous free kick. Then a minute later Stockley was booked for a stray elbow.
Aberdeen were still offering something in attack and on 86 minutes McGinn put over a dangerous cross. On 87 minutes Considine was booked for a foul on Waghorn as the Dons players started to look tired. It would be another nervous last few minutes.

As it turned out Rangers best chance of an equaliser came on 88 minutes when a cross was not cut out. In the end the ball broke off Windass, who did not know much about it and landed in the grateful arms of Lewis.
Jayden Stockley was then given a second yellow card for another challenge in the air. He looked incredibly hard done by as the Rangers defender looked to have made the most of the situation.
Aberdeen then had three minutes of added time to defend with ten men but in truth they saw out the game comfortably. There were a lot of tired legs on both sides. Beerman was booked for a lunge on McLean and that allowed the Dons to take the sting out of proceedings. After that McLean and McGinn used all they quality to cleverly keep the ball.

The Dons first win at Ibrox for 25 years, 7 months and it also confirms second spot in the table.
Rangers Teamsheet
01.Wes Foderingham, 02.James Tavernier, 17.Lee Hodson (61.Myles Beerman 18), 27.David Bates, 54.Aiden Wilson, 08.Jon-Miquel Toral (55.Jamie Barjonas 58), 09.Kenny Miller, 11.Josh Windass, 07.Joe Garner, 10.Barrie McKay, 14.Joseph Dodoo (33.Martyn Waghorn 46). Unused Subs: 16.Andy Halliday, 23.Jason Holt, 25.Jak Alnwick, 45.Serge Atakayi.

Bookings:  09.Kenny Miller (50),   27.David Bates (90+2).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan, Shinnie, Considine, Taylor, Reynolds, McLean, Christie, Rooney (Stockley 68), McGinn, O'Connor.

Unused Subs: Alexander, Wright, Ross, Campbell, Storey, Ross.

Bookings:  Stockley (85),  Considine (88),  Stockley (90),  Stockley (90).
Attendance: 48,289
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: John Beaton
Next Match
23 Jul 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen