Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Hamilton

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hamilton

Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Rankin 30, Miller 69.

15/03/1922 | KO: 16:30


Fully 23,000 spectators assembled at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, where the home team defeated Hamilton Academicals by 2 goals to 0. Aberdeen were without the services of their stalwart back, Hutton, who was suffering from the previous evening's motor cycle accident, but his place was worthily filled by the amateur A. R. Grosert, who played a great game. Aberdeen opened the match briskly, but the shooting was not as accurate as it ought to have been, and when Whyte was called on he saved in fine style, while he was well supported by the backs. After half an hour's play Rankine opened the scoring for Aberdeen with a header which left the visitors' goalkeeper no chance of saving. In the second half Hunter, the Academicals left back, was unable to resume, having been struck on the head by the ball which had just left the foot of Thomson. After twenty-four minutes' play Aberdeen's second goal came as the result of a swift, hard shot from Miller, the centre-forward. Aberdeen's combination in the first half was faulty, but notwithstanding this they did most of the pressing. Hamilton's forward line, on the other hand, was below par, and never got intpo the proper swing of the play.

Source: The Scotsman, 16th March 1922

For the third time in the history of the Aberdeen Football Club, a Pittodrie team has qualified for the semi-final stage of the Scottish Cup competition. This distinction was attained at Pittodrie yesterday, when, in the re-play of the tie in the fourth round, Aberdeen defeated Hamilton Academicals by 2 goals 0. Extraordinary interest was taken in the match, and 23,000 spectators paid £1210 for admission, the figures in both cases being a record for a midweek match in Aberdeen.
Both teams showed changes from those which did duty in the goal-less draw at Hamilton on Saturday. Aberdeen had Miller back at centre-forward, which allowed of Wright returning to his own position at right half, and A. R. Grosert went to right back in place of Hutton, injured in a motoring accident the previous day. Hamilton Academicals were without McMillan, their regular inside left, whose place was taken by Hanlan from outside right, and the latter position was occupied by Wall, the ex-Manchester United player.

Worthy Winners.

On the whole, Aberdeen were well worth their victory, as after the elapse of half an hour, when they took the lead, they were much the superior team, and were not really stretched. In neither instance was it a case of adapting to conditions, as these were perfect. The Academicals were to lose the services of Hunter, their left back, five minutes before the interval, but before then the fate of the Lanarkshire team had been sealed by the opening goal which fell to Aberdeen after 30 minutes' play. Following that home success, it seemed that the visitors would be overwhelmed, and then the injury to Hunter came along and changed the tactics of the game. The difference was more noticeable in the second half, when Aberdeen, confident in the ability of their defence to prevent the Hamilton team from scoring, were content for a long time to keep the visitors at bay, and this policy tended to assert the opposition in the off-side tactics which they adopted to counteract the loss of Hunter. As it was, the second period was not quite so interesting as the first, even if it had its compensating thrills. The Aberdeen policy was profitable enough, but the advantages which followed their lapses into aggressive tactics suggested that, had these been followed throughout, the margin of victory ? quite sufficient in itself ? might even have been more decisive. As it was, it could be said that, once Aberdeen took the lead, they were never in any real danger of defeat, and a superiority which at first was hotly disputed was not challenged.

The first Goal.

Aberdeen made a promising start, but after the opening bursts had been repelled the Academicals' forwards settled down to fast, clever, and nippy play. McLaren executed a spectacular dribble, which was succeeded by a splendid drive that was cleverly stopped near the top of the upright by Blackwell, and before this the Aberdeen keeper had done well to save a fast ground shot by Bell. For a period the individual and close play of the visitors puzzled the home defence, but ultimately the pressure was shaken off. After thirty minutes of play, Aberdeen took the lead. A perfect centre by Middleton was allowed to travel to the left from where it was returned. White cleared, and the ball again went to Middleton, who, from far out on the right, dropped it in front goal. White left his charge to intercept, but Rankine, rushing in, got there first and headed into an empty goal amidst tumultuous cheering.

Visitors' Handicapped.

In the subsequent period before the interval the Aberdeen forwards and half-backs played with freedom, and it was then that the most thrilling period of what was always an interesting game occurred. The Hamilton goal had many narrow escapes, and what with shots being charged down, blocked, or missing the goal by the narrowest margins, and good saving by White, it was little short of wonderful how the lead was not increased. On one occasion a lightning ground shot by Milne appeared certain to count when the ball struck Miller, and White was able to save. The injury to Hunter, which occurred just previous to the interval, was the outcome of a pure accident. The back in clearing kicked the ball against Thomson, the Aberdeen inside right and rebounded to strike him with great force over the eye. He was unable resume, and it transpired his eye had been rather seriously injured.

Put Beyond Doubt.

In the second half there was a more disjointed element in the play, but the issue was no longer in doubt. Play was interesting enough, and such times as Aberdeen chose to circumvent off-side tactics, dread their defensive policy, and go out on attack there was no lack of thrills in the vicinity of the Hamilton goal. Even when they did attack, the visiting forwards make little progress against the Aberdeen defence, the half-backs in particular playing superbly. While the Hamilton goalkeeper had many excellent saves, and if the home forwards did not give unblemished displays of finishing powers, it was largely due to the capable work of the custodian that only one more goal was scored. This came at the end of 24 minutes' play, when, after some missing by the home inside trio, Miller, lying unmarked, crashed ball past White, and so great was the force that the ball actually became wedged between the net and the iron support. Subsequently interest in the game flagged. Blackwell was seldom called upon, and for the most part play ranged near the .visitors' goal, Aberdeen being worthy winners.

Aberdeen Players.

On the Aberdeen side. Blackwell's goalkeeping inspired confidence, and so well did A. H. Grosert and Forsyth acquit themselves at back that Hutton's absence was not felt. After the opening stages both settled down to give a steady and, at times, crafty display. The half-backs performed very creditably. Wright was the most artistic half-back on the field, his trapping and neat and accurate ground passing stamping him as being of international class. Milne, who was playing with a damaged ankle, gave a splendid account of himself, and the manner in which he kept the ball on the ground reflected the polish which he supported his sound tackling. MacLachlan too, gave a most whole-hearted display, not only defending well, but forcing the game with much skill and vigour. In a forward line which contributed its share to defence and worked well enough at periods in attack, Thomson and Rankine took the eye most, and Miller excelled in unselfish play and keeping the line in motion, Both extreme wingers showed cleverness, Middleton sending over many fine centres, and Bainbridge, if not quite so conspicuous, was responsible for a deal of judicious play. The whole line was none too deadly in front of goal.

The Academicals.

The Academicals carried a more dangerous look near goal, but they showed a tendency to indulge in too much close play. White was brilliant in goal, but the backs did not inspire confidence when closely played up to. Kerr's kicking in the second half being erratic. Hall proved a dour defender in the pivot position, but the visitors most methodical half-back was Steel on the right. Of the forwards, McLaren, Hanlon and Bell moved quickly, and, while they combined well, their individual efforts were tricky in the extreme, butt Wall and Cottingham were not particularly successful on the right.


The draw for the semi-final stage of the Scottish Cup competition was made in Glasgow last night, and resulted : Aberdeen v. Morton. Rangers v. Partick Thistle.
The tie between Aberdeen and Morton will be played at Dens Park, Dundee, on April s, and the other tie will take place at Ibrox Park, Glasgow on March 25th.
The draw has given great satisfaction in Aberdeen and supporters of the club are delighted that Dundee has been chosen as the venue. It is certain that many will travel to witness the tie, and there is a confident feeling that Aberdeen will qualify for the final. This is the third occasion Aberdeen has reached the semi-final, the others being in 1907-08, when Celtic won at Pittodrie by 1-0, and in 1910-11, when Celtic won at Parkhead again 1-0. This is not the first occasion Aberdeen and Morton have been mated in a Cup-tie. In the first, round of the competition at Greenock in 1906-09, Aberdeen triumphed over their semi-final rivals by 4-0.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 16th March 1922

Hamilton Teamsheet
White; Kerr, Hunter; Steel, Hall, Thomson; Wall, Cottingham, McLaren, Hanlon, Bell
Attendance: 23,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. Allan, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead